Author Topic: Spindles  (Read 2448 times)

Offline smitty2

• Worlds fastest miniature Pachyderm.
Spindles
« on: June 15, 2008, 12:59:32 PM »
Hey All!
 I have just become the proud owner of some old Ford parts... mainly front axles, wishbones. etc. I'm pretty sure they are 40 to 48 vintage because of the "ahead" of axle spring mount. Complete with knee action shocks, and king pins that are wobbly but not froze :-D.
 My question is should I keep the spindles, or toss them and start with new? On inspection I see nothing wrong with them... even the bearings are still able to turn, but I don't know if I want to trust something with that much age. ( I know... I know... Just because it's old doesn't mean it's no good. Don't mean to piss anyone off with an age comment. )

Thanks....    Smitty

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
Re: Spindles
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 01:18:31 PM »
I just magged a set that looked great. There was a small crack at the forging line on one and at the cross shaft bore on the other. Be safe and check them.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 02:12:36 PM »
I've been told time and again by chassis guys that the old ones are better than what you can buy new.  Seen a bunch of them on some pretty fast roadsters.  Mag 'em by somebody that knows what they are doing.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline 38Chevy454

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 07:13:21 PM »
The old ones are forged, some of the new ones are cast.  Forged is better, although both can work.  I agree, take it apart and have the magnaflux checked.  If no cracks, run them.  They should also have the "square" flange where the backing plate bolts on, earlier spindles had round flange.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.....

High Quality USA-made bear claw style latches CHEAP! Now including install kits also!
buy here directly:  www.hotrodlatches.com

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2008, 11:42:29 PM »
Just be aware of the scrub radius with old combos----see scrub radius posts elsewhere !!!!!!!!!!!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!