Author Topic: nitro %  (Read 8110 times)

Offline promachine

Re: nitro %
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2008, 03:56:35 PM »
We made it to the 5 last year tree times without hurting anything. We were slow but it sounded good. This year we will have the 44 amp MSD so we can burn some more fuel and take some more timing out.
Hope to have the car on the lakebed this weekend to atend the C/FR wars.
Mike, thanks for the help last week on the turbo engine, she rocked out 1683 HP and 1380 lbs. ft. of torque
Dirty 2 driver-nitro junkie-H.P. peddler

Offline stay`tee

• "Kawasaki ZX12 Turbocharged"
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2008, 05:05:03 PM »
g`day gary, give this bloke a call on 0429234907,(mick b).. he will help steer ya in the right direction :-)
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2008, 05:11:27 PM »
Just as a point of reference, on my Early Olds, we ran 14.25 to l compression on straight alky.  We then dropped the c. r. two points and lost 55 h.p.   Then we put 25% in it and gained back the 55 h.p. plus 65 more.  This was with a 435 cu in (394) olds.  It ran 219 on methanol, and never made a full pass with the nitro without bearing problems, which is another story that took 5 years to solve..............Bob
Bob Drury

Offline desotoman

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2008, 10:56:20 PM »
This year we will have the 44 amp MSD so we can burn some more fuel and take some more timing out.

It has been about 3 years since I talked to MSD about running their 44 amp mag for long distance applications, but back then they told me to look for 20 amp MSD units because the 44 amp would burn up. They told me there was no way to keep everything cool enough. What has MSD changed in the last 2 or 3 years that now lets the 44 amp Mag live for 5 miles? Is it time for me to sell my 20's and look for 44's?

Thanks,
Tom G.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 04:52:39 PM by desotoman »
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline promachine

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2008, 10:41:56 AM »
I was told the same thing, but I am not a good listener. There are a few others that have not had problems to the 5. Mine is still on the dyno and hasn`t been to the track as of yet. If I can refind my tune with this thing I should have it at El Mirage this weekend. So far she is not coperating.
Dirty 2 driver-nitro junkie-H.P. peddler

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2008, 12:45:12 PM »
The best thing about that 44 is that if you crack your frame, you can weld with it!!! :-D
Bob Drury

Offline Loose Goose-Terry#1

• Terry
  • When in doubt, GAS IT!
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2008, 01:15:10 PM »
 :-D I have run 15 percent by WEIGHT not volume nitro to alky:wink: I purge with a gas and GOOD two cycle petrol (not synthetic) oil mixed at 20:1 for at least a minute or untill I foul a plug  :-D  :evil:

Terry
If I had it all to do over again...I would!

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2008, 05:13:40 PM »
Mike, thanks for the help last week on the turbo engine, she rocked out 1683 HP and 1380 lbs. ft. of torque

Good job John. Hard not to like them hair driers....
How much boost did it need to do it?

Hope you get the 'fueler runn'in good too.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline POPS

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2008, 06:42:11 PM »
Top Fuel dragsters need 44 amp mags because they are kept extremely rich to cool the motor.  I have monitored the primary current and it never exceeds 11 amps on a normal run.  Fred's lakerster went 355 with 9 amp mags.  You do not need the big mags unless you are going to run 100 gpm pumps like the dragsters.  The change from 15 to 90 % will change the A/F ratio from approx. 2 to 1.  The smaller # is richer and the motor will run hotter not cooler because it will make more power = heat. The irony is if you run more % you probably have to increase the fuel volume to cool the motor.

Offline sockjohn

« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2008, 07:14:01 PM »
This year we will have the 44 amp MSD so we can burn some more fuel and take some more timing out.

It has been about 3 years since I talked to MSD about running their 44 amp mag for long distance applications, but back then they told me to look for 20 amp MSD units because the 44 amp would burn up. They told me there was no way to keep everything cool enough. What has MSD changed in the last 2 or 3 years that now lets the 44 amp Mag live for 5 miles? Is it time for me to sell my 20's and look for 44's?

Thanks,
Tom G.

I'm kind of thinking out loud here, but heat is the enemy of electronics.  I would think some sort of additional cooling might be worth a try. 

If the unit your talking about is what I think it is, there is no external heat sink, but I think the internals are potted in epoxy, so the outer case is in pretty good thermal contact to the case.  Maybe an add on heat sink and fan would help the survival rate.

Cheap insurance IMHO.

Offline POPS

« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2008, 08:05:26 PM »
I would talk to Mr. Pando he is the guy at MSD. Leave a message he returns calls.