Author Topic: nitro %  (Read 8109 times)

Offline hawkwind

nitro %
« on: June 15, 2008, 01:25:39 AM »
Im interested in what percentage of nitro anyone is using or knows that others are using  , Im interested in trying about 30% with methanol ,any assistance much appreciated
cheers
gary
slower than most

Offline jl222

Re: nitro %
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 02:47:06 AM »
    Les Leggitt told me he never uses more than 15% that stuff causes detonation.
   Alcohol that is.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 10:28:19 AM »
No matter how much you use, put a lot of it in the cylinder, it is easier to get it leaner than it is to replace all the parts. 

Several guys I know use 80-85%, bikes and cars

Years ago we ran a carbed Honda 750 Interceptor motor on alcohol, couldn't keep it rich enough so we added 30%, still too lean...  :roll: Finally found the jets were bigger than the float needle....  :?  :-o  The stuff was really hard on the aluminum.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 12:00:50 PM »
    Les Leggitt told me he never uses more than 15% that stuff causes detonation.
   Alcohol that is.

You beat me to it. :evil:

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2008, 02:57:41 PM »
In any type of system where you're running alcohol at the end of the event, before the racer is put away the fuel system should be purged of alcohol. Up until I got involved with the Indy cars I used to go through a manual system using a pump can and WD-40. Now after seeing how it's done in the big leagues I build a simple external, plug-in fuel system. I fill that with gas and run the car on that until the exhaust note changes. The system is then full of gas and there is no further corrosion problem.

Pete

Online interested bystander

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2008, 03:18:16 PM »
Even most Jr Dragster dad's gas purge the system- good advice Mr Jack.

Have seen corrosive effects on dragster tanks behind driver's back -one even had holes in the adjacent seat!
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2008, 11:48:10 PM »
PJ and IB, not the fuel system aluminum, I was talking about the pistons and heads  :-o  :-o  :roll:  :-D
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2008, 01:06:51 AM »
Been there too!!!

Pete

Offline Dave Haller

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2008, 10:12:17 AM »
Does Les Leggit use 85 per cent nitro or 85 per cent methanol? Years ago I was told Al Teague ran 15 percent nitro. Also, what is the best way to lubricate the engine after a meet using Methanol? Sounds like Jack has a great method running gasoline through the system. Some boat guys up here poor transmission oil through the throttle body with the engine running. Sounds like Jack's method may be a whole lot better. Your thoughts?
Dave Haller #93 8-)

Offline promachine

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2008, 10:37:01 AM »
WE usualy run 93 to 100%, but have developed the fuel system and tuning for alote of years. Nitro makes big HP but you have to respect it. As far as alcohol goes, we just remove the lines by all of the check valves, barrel valve, and fuel shut off and spray in alote of WD 40. WE use a Waterman pump and use some lube that we get from Sid to keep the pump lubed.
Dirty 2 driver-nitro junkie-H.P. peddler

Offline hitz

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2008, 10:58:15 AM »
WE usualy run 93 to 100%, but have developed the fuel system and tuning for alote of years. Nitro makes big HP but you have to respect it. As far as alcohol goes, we just remove the lines by all of the check valves, barrel valve, and fuel shut off and spray in alote of WD 40. WE use a Waterman pump and use some lube that we get from Sid to keep the pump lubed.

New to nitro. Did you mean you run nitro all by itself?

Harvey

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2008, 11:06:34 AM »
Does Les Leggit use 85 per cent nitro or 85 per cent methanol? Years ago I was told Al Teague ran 15 percent nitro. Also, what is the best way to lubricate the engine after a meet using Methanol? Sounds like Jack has a great method running gasoline through the system. Some boat guys up here poor transmission oil through the throttle body with the engine running. Sounds like Jack's method may be a whole lot better. Your thoughts?
Dave Haller #93 8-)

Les would say he never runs more than 15%.  That was his way of saying he runs 85% nitro. :-o

Offline promachine

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2008, 11:13:55 AM »
Sometimes at high alt. or when its hot, nitro will test over 100% and then you need to cut it down a bit. Nominally 93 % nitro would meen 7 % alky, or more..
I have actually run 101% at B-Ville.
Dirty 2 driver-nitro junkie-H.P. peddler

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2008, 12:02:51 PM »
I have actually run 101% at B-Ville.

To what mile marker.........?      :-D :evil:
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline jimmy six

nitro %
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2008, 12:39:13 PM »
As all here will atest, start rich. From what I have heard there is not much feeling between 15 and 50-60%. I started with 50% and went to 70%. The key is your ignition. The bigger the better. 70% had a hard time with 1.3 amp mag. The engine loved a 5 amp with a richer mixture. I'm sure a 12 or 44 amp would be great to ride behind as Promachine can atest to. Too rich makes it lazy but it saves parts. Lean is using up parts; remembering fuel can be anything from pistons, valves, rings, etc... Just right is "holy s--t"

As for cleaning, the only time I didn't do it was over night in impounds and did not have a problem. If you can don't use an aluminum tank unless it's hard anadized. Good luck and enjoy it...............JD

PS: I went to the 5, high gear only, 72%
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro