Author Topic: Aluminum Firewall Thickness  (Read 13375 times)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Aluminum Firewall Thickness
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2008, 08:59:39 AM »

The Proper thickness Aluminum firewall is fine.
J

Yes it is or the rule would be changed, but as IB has also stated, the is you that must decide if you need additional protection.  Your Fire system should also be factored in to your decision. 
be safe, have fun, go fast
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2008, 03:29:08 PM »
Manta2,
Have you tried to cut the Inconel yet? If it is .060 you have better have a good shear and don't even get it close to a band saw, it will kill the blades right now. It does have some nice properties though, at 1800 deg F it is stronger than mild steel at room temp!! I have made some turbo collectors from it, real pain in the ass to work with. What Inconel alloy do you have 625 and 7-18 are the most common.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2008, 07:25:58 PM »
Manta2,
Have you tried to cut the Inconel yet? If it is .060 you have better have a good shear and don't even get it close to a band saw, it will kill the blades right now. It does have some nice properties though, at 1800 deg F it is stronger than mild steel at room temp!! I have made some turbo collectors from it, real pain in the ass to work with. What Inconel alloy do you have 625 and 7-18 are the most common.

Rex

it will slice up nicely with a plasma cutter
Stainless

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2008, 08:16:36 PM »
Rex;

I just looked on the Inconel- it is marked "718". As pointed out in a post by "Stainless1" it cuts nicely with a plasma cutter. Exotic alloys are usually a PITA to cut but in sheet form a plasma cutter can handle it.
I wouldn't trust an aluminum firewall; I've seen too many fires where the aluminum parts were melted, even the aluminum centers out of wheels. If a fire is extinguished quickly an aluminum firewall will hold up to the high heat but if it isn't and you're not able to exit the car quickly........you're toast.
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2008, 09:56:10 PM »
I don't know about metalurgy (or much else either).  But a couple of years ago I was talking to Earl Wooden about a recent run in his streamliner.  He had the zoot-zoot carbon fiber brakes.  Well, anyway, he aborted a run (hope that's politcally correct) and hit the brakes.  Boy, I guess it stopped.  But the heat from the brakes melted the wheel weights and fried the tires.  Maybe he could have taken a little longer to stop, but they sure worked well.  Any way, he was embarassed having stopped on the course, decided to restart and get off there before Glenn gave him hell.  Restarted, put it in gear and fried the clutch, too, as everything was locked up.

I still haven't got us some carbon fiber (fibre?) brakes.  Seems these slow roadsters stop pretty well by just letting off the throttle.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2008, 11:12:53 PM »
Stan, that is Aero Braking, and off topic, but with any luck someone will start a thread on that wihin the next 24 hours... as long as no one asks about it...
Stainless