Author Topic: Mid- Engine Modified Sports  (Read 784833 times)

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
Re: Mid- Engine Modified Sports
« Reply #1755 on: November 20, 2019, 02:59:11 PM »
Thanks, Rex. I'll look into that. I was planning on lubing the linear bearings with Red Line synthetic grease. There is a 1/4-28 threaded hole in the side of the housing for a grease fitting (I think) that has a rubber plug in it now.
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1756 on: November 21, 2019, 05:31:22 PM »
Regarding that second paragraph in my earlier post - here is a photo of the mild steel shift rod. The small ball bearings have indented the surface of the shaft, making the shifting rough, especially going laterally through the neutral gate. The ground & polished shaft with a surface hardness of 60 Rockwell C should cure this problem.

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #1757 on: November 21, 2019, 07:12:35 PM »
Sure makes it a good anti rotation shaft! Not what you are looking for. The Thompson hardened shafting is the only way. As I remember the core of the shaft is usually not hardened, not real soft but you can drill and tap.

Regarding my suggestion about the Gibbs Oil, I have a collection of very old machinist measuring tools, dividers, compass's , inside and out side dividers etc. When I got them they were pretty corroded and hard or impossible to adjust. I cleaned them up real good and them soaked them in Gibbs oil for about a week. They have been hanging above my lathe for 5 years through summer heat, winter cold and rain and no rust. Good stuff.

Rex   
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1758 on: November 21, 2019, 09:36:06 PM »
The Gibbs oil is also a good lube for places where lesser oils drip or fling off such as the jaws in a lathe chuck.  As a sidenote, i had to stop using it to lube the lathe ways.  The metal chips stuck to the oil coating and were hard to remove.  It is a good lube.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1759 on: December 24, 2019, 11:51:28 AM »
To racers everywhere, especially Rob & Sue Freyvogel.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1760 on: December 24, 2019, 05:19:11 PM »
I'll attach a scan of a Christmas card drawing made by my friend Bill (William S.) Gregory back in 1959 when we were both in college at William and Mary. His nickname was "Weed" but not for the reason that you probably think.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1761 on: January 19, 2020, 07:46:36 PM »
I have put more work into my shift linkage than I should have but I want to get it right. I replaced the mild steel tubing that I used for my shift rod with ground & polished Rockwell 60C and it really improved the back & forth motion- far smoother and easier. I was pleased with those results but the shaft rotation in the Thomson linear ball bearings was not as good as I wanted. Fore & aft motion allowed the ball bearings to roll in their tracks but shaft rotation resulted in the ball bearings skidding across the surface of the shaft instead of rolling. My mistake. I pulled those bearings & housings out and made plain bearings from some UHMW polyethylene and the feel was not bad. However...
  Just by accident I found that Thomson also makes Flouroplastic- lined plain bearings in housings that are the same size as their ball bushings. I ordered some and tried them on the G & P shaft- perfecto! Now I'm replacing the ball bushings with the plain bearings. I'm not finished yet but this looks like the best solution so far.
  The shaft and bearing ID are very precision so they allow only +/- 0.5 degrees of misalignment. I installed the bearing housings as close to alignment as I could and then loosened the screws holding the bearing housings to allow them to "float" just a little to make the bearings "self- aligning".

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #1762 on: January 19, 2020, 10:13:54 PM »
I'll bet the Flouroplastic- lined plain bearing holds up to the salt better than the linear balls...
You can't spend too much time on any part that makes or breaks a run... quick positive shifting is kind of important... most vehicles are not Betsy  :wink:
 :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Beef Stew

« Reply #1763 on: January 20, 2020, 12:41:08 AM »
Delrin?, and engineering plastic from DuPont? make a superior bearing surface. Global West uses it for their suspension bushings. It's easy to find, and it isn't hard to machine.

I like Neo Synthetics. Their grease works well on both Delrin? and rubber. I used it on both of the four wheel drives, and the Chevelle. Their 75W90 gear oil was in all five differentials.

While on the subject of chemicals, has anyone ever used WaterWetter?? I first came across it in the 1960s. It was originally designed for Fire Department use. It takes the bubbles out of hot water, so that the engine will run cooler https://www.redlineoil.com/waterwetter You may not need it for the race-car, but it could be helpful for your truck.
Former record holder at RIR ½ mile drags, El Mirage and Bonneville.

Beef Stew doesn't have his head where the sun-don't-shine. His head is in SoCal where the unusual is an everyday happening.

Offline salt27

« Reply #1764 on: January 20, 2020, 01:24:08 AM »
While on the subject of chemicals, has anyone ever used WaterWetter?? I first came across it in the 1960s. It was originally designed for Fire Department use. It takes the bubbles out of hot water, so that the engine will run cooler https://www.redlineoil.com/waterwetter You may not need it for the race-car, but it could be helpful for your truck.

I use it in the race bike for the corrosion protection it provides.

Don

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #1765 on: January 20, 2020, 09:40:30 AM »
We currently use BG Super Cool for lube, corrosion and help keeping the water in contact with the hot surfaces inside the motor. 
We have used Water Wetter as well in the past for the same reasons.... it all works.
Stainless

Offline salt27

« Reply #1766 on: January 20, 2020, 09:20:14 PM »
I have also used "Hyper-Lube super coolant" but always have a bottle of it present because it's the same green color as antifreeze.

Don

Sorry about the hijack Neil 

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1767 on: January 21, 2020, 11:08:26 AM »
Actually, I appreciate this information about coolant additives. I would rather have some anti-corrosion in my cooling system but since ethylene glycol was outlawed I've been using plain water. Now I will try one of those additives. Thanks!

Offline Saltfever

« Reply #1768 on: January 26, 2020, 12:40:43 AM »
Anybody know what these additives due to the freezing point of the water.

El Mirage can get well below freezing in November .

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #1769 on: January 26, 2020, 09:35:34 AM »
A pint in 6 gallons can't be very effective for freeze protection... but I don't think any of them claim it will help that part... It is used for lube and keeping water attached to hot surfaces. 
If it's gonna freeze ya better drain it out
Stainless