Author Topic: Mid- Engine Modified Sports  (Read 786974 times)

Online jacksoni

Re: Mid- Engine Modified Sports
« Reply #1695 on: July 09, 2019, 07:46:26 AM »
The part about going cruising for a week sounds like a good plan. I have been trying to prep 2 cars for Speedweek. One is mostly ready. The new engine for the other is not and it will be a World of Speed try. Two trips across country within a month. I'm going to the Bahamas for a week with the whole family on the 20th. Get a start on my salt tan...?.

I hope it works out Neil. Let us know when you figure out what the problem has been.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1696 on: July 09, 2019, 09:05:54 PM »
Have a nice relaxing trip. Jack.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #1697 on: July 09, 2019, 09:09:52 PM »
And don't get eaten by a shark...  :?
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1698 on: July 20, 2019, 11:28:00 AM »
FINALLY! Yesterday afternoon I finally got the transaxle bolted up to the block. Lots of aggravation in getting it assembled. Once I thought I had it on but found that the yoke had slipped down from the throwout bearing and I had to remove it once again. The last straw was when I thought I had everything in place but I couldn't turn the crank with a wrench no matter whether the trans was in gear or not. Something was not right.

After removing everything I looked at the new starter ring gear carefully and checked to see if it was the correct one (it was). Looking into the trans integral bell housing, I noticed that there was an indication that the ring gear had scraped across the inside of the upper side. This was a clue that it was not only angular mis-alignment but also lateral misalignment that could cause a problem.

I had found earlier that the throwout bearing could be slid laterally a small amount in its place so since then I had been careful to center it before placing the trans on the two top studs in the block. The only other lateral movement that could occur was the clearance between the mounting holes in the trans and the studs in the block. This time, I supported the bell housing with a jack rather than letting it hang on the studs. This worked! The yoke stayed in place so I was able to slip its pivot shaft into place and bolt on the clutch slave cylinder. The IMI starter is also bolted on now. Everything is now torqued with blue Loctite.

I guess I was just lucky the first time I assembled the transaxle to the block.

Offline RaceEngineer

« Reply #1699 on: July 20, 2019, 02:05:18 PM »
Neil,

Glad to hear you got it reassembled.  Will you be at SW19?  Hope to see you there.

Regards,
Don

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #1700 on: July 20, 2019, 03:05:00 PM »
Now you can wait 'til the slave cylinder takes a shitt.  I like mechanical action ? probably hard with your setup.  Great story about Dana Wilson setting a roadster record with high gear only . . .
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #1701 on: July 20, 2019, 03:39:57 PM »
He wasn't the only one... :roll:
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1702 on: July 20, 2019, 04:36:27 PM »
Neil,

Glad to hear you got it reassembled.  Will you be at SW19?  Hope to see you there.

Regards,
Don

Don, I plan to be at WoS this September.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1703 on: August 03, 2019, 01:09:25 PM »
The engine & transaxle are now back in the car and ancillary items such as the starter, headers, etc are installed. I turned on the electric fuel pump switch momentarily to make sure it came on. Four quarts of Mobil-1 10W-30 were added to the engine and 1 quart was poured into the Wix oil filter. Cranking the engine over without ignition resulted in 65 lbs of oil pressure. Next to re- assemble the carb and fire it up.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1704 on: August 05, 2019, 01:38:49 PM »
The new Holley billet metering blocks for the carburetor have still not arrived so I went ahead and re-did my battery to starter cables. I had originally used the IMI geared starter manufacturer's figure for current draw but I am pretty sure, in retrospect, that they were quoting the running current, not the initial surge current of spinning the crankshaft. I had calculated that a #6 AWG cable should be OK for a reasonable voltage drop and the engine did start OK but it was clear that the starter was starving for current. Yesterday I made cables from 1/0 AWG welding cable, soldering- on copper terminals on both ends. Rather than removing the #6 AWG positive battery cable to the starter, I left it in place and simply added the new cable in parallel. Instead of relying on the chassis to return current to the negative battery terminal, I made another heavy cable and connected it from the battery to a hole in the aluminum adapter plate from my SBC to G50. The cable is "welding cable", a very flexible multi-strand copper cable with a tough insulation cover.
Snaking the cable through the chassis with the bodywork still attached was a chore. The car was raised off the shop floor on jack stands so there was very little clearance under the car. I told my wife that had I not been an active caver in my younger days I would not have been able to do it.  :-D

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1705 on: August 06, 2019, 12:41:10 AM »
That was a good idea to make the ground cable.

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
« Reply #1706 on: August 06, 2019, 03:53:36 AM »
Neil:

We wired the lakester in pretty much the same way. I used Interstate Battery for #2 cable and end fittings. Not sure all IB stores do this but the one out here in Wichita carry?s everything to make these cables. Having them cut and crimp cable and cable ends was the answer and quite inexpensive (except for the cable).

We too use one common ground from the engine instead of chassis ground. Much, much more consistent.

John

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1707 on: August 07, 2019, 10:04:45 PM »
Yesterday I cranked the engine without the spark plugs and it didn't sound much different from doing the same thing with the smaller battery cable. Today I installed the plugs and cranking was a real difference. The #6 cable loaded the starter noticeably when cranking the engine against compression. With the new heavy cables it REALLY spins over.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1708 on: August 07, 2019, 10:21:23 PM »
My thermostat housing has two threaded holes that I had originally plugged with straight pipe thread plugs that fit. Yesterday I removed the larger one on the top and drilled & tapped it through with a 7/16 NF thread. I had a handful of surplus something-or-others marked "TEDECO" and a part number which I tried to look up unsuccessfully. They are a nice little stainless valve of some sort with a spring-loaded plunger and an o-ring sealed cap. I threaded this thing into the tapped hole and sealed it with thread sealant and an o-ring then put the modified plug back into the thermostat housing.

I have put 3 gallons of distilled water into my cooling system and pressing the spring-loaded plunger down speeds up the cooling system fill. I can feel a gentle rush of air coming of of the valve when it is depressed and the water level drops in my header tank. I still don't know what that thing is... but it works nicely.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1709 on: August 07, 2019, 10:23:09 PM »
Two more photos.