Author Topic: Mid- Engine Modified Sports  (Read 784797 times)

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
Re: Mid- Engine Modified Sports
« Reply #1680 on: June 19, 2019, 08:49:06 PM »
I give up for today. I've tried everything- without the clutch disk & pressure plate, the transaxle slides into place. With the PP but without the disk it slides into place. Install the disk and it won't go, tried many times to move the clutch disk a little this way and that- even tried to loosen the PP bolts so the disk could skide sideways as the trans input shaft went in but there's virtually no adjustment between being so loose that the disk falls down and being so tight that it won't move at all. I've even gone from the new KEP 6-puck metallic disk back to the Sachs organic disk that I had in there before and even that won't go on.  :oops:

I think the plastic alignment tool is not exactly concentric and its tolerances are not tight enough to line up the splines and pilot bearing. I'll try to find someone who has a cut-off G50 input shaft; that should work.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Online jacksoni

« Reply #1681 on: June 19, 2019, 09:03:44 PM »
You didn't change the disc did you? Have you just slid the disc alone onto the input shaft to be sure there is no obstruction?
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1682 on: June 19, 2019, 09:27:23 PM »
Yes, Jack, both clutch disks slide onto the trans input shaft freely. By now I'm certain that it is misalignment due to the crummy plastic alignment tool.

Online jacksoni

« Reply #1683 on: June 19, 2019, 09:36:44 PM »
OH, it's a two disc clutch? They are even worse (yes I have also). Careful alignment is critical (as you have figured, sorry to repeat). As an actual input shaft is likely hard to come by you have to make do with the plastic one. I have found that pushing the tool up against the back of the crank hard tends to make it a bit more vertical than just wiggling things around and  gently aligning. Since I have been doing that have been much easier to get the thing together. Sorry for the trouble. Hope it comes together tomorrow.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1684 on: June 19, 2019, 10:33:49 PM »
It's only a single-disk clutch, Jack. By "both" I meant that each of the two clutch disks (an organic friction German-made Sachs and a KEP six-puck metallic disk), tried one at a time. Sorry for the confusion. I tried pushing the alignment tool up against the pilot bearing but still no-go. I suspect the tool isn't concentric.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #1685 on: June 20, 2019, 12:07:08 AM »
Do you know anyone with a lathe? That's about the easiest thing a person could make and if it's steel you can make the tolerances really close. It will work.

Pete

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #1686 on: June 20, 2019, 11:38:02 AM »
Would a broken input shaft work with your set-up?  Try a transmission shop.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1687 on: June 20, 2019, 11:47:39 AM »
Yes, if the splines and pilot are correct. Thanks for the suggestion, Stan.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1688 on: June 20, 2019, 11:49:02 AM »
Do you know anyone with a lathe? That's about the easiest thing a person could make and if it's steel you can make the tolerances really close. It will work.

Pete

That's my last-gasp approach but that should work! Thanks, Pete.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #1689 on: June 20, 2019, 01:42:12 PM »
It only works with a single disc clutch but for that it works perfectly. Once you have more than one clutch disc then you need something to line up the splines.

Pete

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1690 on: June 20, 2019, 09:46:52 PM »
No one in Tucson that I talked to had anything but the plastic alignment that I?ve already been trying. Maybe theirs are more accurate than mine but I think I?ll be able to proceed now that I remembered an old Sears Craftsman ?Universal? alignment tool that was in the bottom of my tool box. See photos. It had a screw-on 15mm pilot already installed so I?m betting that it was what I used to install the clutch a few years ago. It fits the flywheel pilot bearing snugly and the 1? shoulder doesn?t quite go into the disk splines but it does center the disk, I also tried the conical part and it worked even better- no rubberiness like the plastic tool. I?m so confident that it will go together now that I installed all nine socket head cap screws in the pressure plate with blue Loctite and torqued them to 29ft-lbs per KEP specs. I also put a light coat of ARP moly on the splines and nose of the G50 input shaft.

I appreciate all the suggestions that have been offered. This forum is really helpful!

I?m crossing my fingers.

Offline RaceEngineer

« Reply #1691 on: June 20, 2019, 10:38:01 PM »
Neil,

Glad you remembered your old Sears universal clutch alignment tool.  I was about to ship you mine. 

Regards,

Don

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1692 on: June 21, 2019, 11:17:08 AM »
Thanks, Don. I guess I should rummage through my tool box more often. There may be other forgotten gems in there!  :-)

Online jacksoni

« Reply #1693 on: July 08, 2019, 02:55:47 PM »
So, you have committed hari-kari or gone on to other things in disgust or the trans magically installed itself or it when together easily, you went to have a few  :cheers: and on to other things to get ready...?? What happened?   :evil: :oops: :-) Inquiring minds and all that.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1694 on: July 08, 2019, 07:20:48 PM »
We took off for a week cruise through the western Caribbean but now I'm back to struggling with it. This morning I got the transaxle seated to the Chevy-to-Porsche adapter but I found that the clutch throwout yoke had slipped out of position so it's time to take it apart... again.  :x

A Porsche G50 transaxle clutch is an odd design, it is a pull-type throwout and uses a steel Y-shaped yoke arm that pivots on a shaft running through the transaxle casting. It is notoriously difficult to get aligned properly.

I just talked to Kennedy Engineered Products and ordered one of their bearings for the flywheel. I may wind up removing the ball bearing.