Author Topic: Mid- Engine Modified Sports  (Read 784855 times)

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
Re: Mid- Engine Modified Sports
« Reply #1605 on: February 27, 2019, 06:52:51 PM »
I spent the afternoon installing the crank and main bearings. I put in a new rear main seal; the previous one was a Fel- Pro blue silicone seal but this time I decided to use their flouroelastomer seal 2912. It isn't as soft as the silicone seal and costs more but I think that this is a heavier duty material. Seals and bearings were coated with assembly lube before the crank was dropped into place.

The straight studs are torqued to 70 ft-lbs and the angled studs are torqued to 65 ft-lbs. The oil pump is also now installed. The next step will be to install the camshaft. Getting assembly lube on the cam bearings isn't going to be easy.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1606 on: March 22, 2019, 03:33:41 PM »
I've had some delay in getting my engine assembled- I just got out of the hospital last Friday afternoon. While Joline and I were in Nashville helping her sister to move into her new house, my gall bladder started acting up so when we got back to Tucson we stopped in to the Tucson VA Hospital to see about getting an appointment to see a doctor. They admitted me the same day and removed my gall bladder in the next two days. I'm "ahead of schedule" in recovering according to my surgical team.

Anyway... I just placed an order for a new set of piston rings with Summit. My Cosworth pistons need 0.043", 1/16" & 3/16" rings so the unequal top & second ring made choices limited. Sealed Power had what I needed. I decided to replace the old rings as long as I was re-doing the engine just to be on the safe side.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #1607 on: March 22, 2019, 11:29:10 PM »
Get well Neil, luckily that's a part you don't need... sorta like an EGR valve...
Don't strain your gizzard lifting, torquing, pushing or pulling...  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline gowing

« Reply #1608 on: March 23, 2019, 12:01:19 AM »
.....  luckily that's a part you don't need... sorta like an EGR valve...
:-D hehe!

Offline tauruck

« Reply #1609 on: March 23, 2019, 03:29:58 AM »
Get well Neil, now you're on the weight limit. Geez, the lengths some guys will go to to save weight!!!!😂😂😂🙏✝👍

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1610 on: April 01, 2019, 03:36:33 PM »
OK, I'm back on the project. I stripped the old rings off the pistons and cleaned them thoroughly with carb cleaner spray. This morning I coated the piston skirts with an "air-dry solid film lubricant", Lubri- Bond B. It is a thin liquid that can be brushed or sprayed on to give it a low-friction surface. It is a suspension of graphite & molybdenum disulfide in an epoxy carrier. My piston skirts were originally coated with some sort of black coating but it had started to show a little wear so I thought I'd try this stuff.

It's made by Curtis Wright Everlube so I think it might work.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1611 on: April 08, 2019, 09:07:02 PM »
Most of the pistons are installed but in checking the rod side clearance it was clear that something was wrong. The King XP rod bearings came in a box with two clear plastic trays, each containing 8 bearing halfs. No instructions were included so I just opened one tray and put a bearing into each rod and each cap. I was halfway through this when I noticed numbers 1 through 8 embossed into the bottom of each tray. Wait... were these supposed to indicate cylinder numbers? I'd never encountered that before.

This morning I called King Bearings and asked about this. It turns out that one tray was intended as "upper" bearing halfs and the other was "lower". The fellow at King pointed out a small "U" and "L" that were etched on the back of each piece. He agreed that they needed to include paperwork that pointed this out to a customer. Apparently he's had many questions about this before.  :-)  Now to remove the bearings that I installed and put the right ones in their place. Arrrggghhh....

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #1612 on: April 08, 2019, 10:27:12 PM »
. . . without hurting them.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #1613 on: April 09, 2019, 11:07:44 AM »
At least you didn`t fire it up w/ a lower shell in the upper location blocking the oil hole. :cheers:
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #1614 on: April 09, 2019, 11:08:39 AM »
Are they different widths?  trying to figure out how they affect side clearance... pics please
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1615 on: April 09, 2019, 11:39:38 AM »
At least you didn`t fire it up w/ a lower shell in the upper location blocking the oil hole. :cheers:

Nope, the oil holes are in the main bearings, not the rod bearings.  :-D

Offline floydjer

« Reply #1616 on: April 09, 2019, 11:57:33 AM »
The oil squirter holes  that lube the cyl. walls are in the crank ??
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1617 on: April 09, 2019, 10:27:49 PM »
The oil squirter holes  that lube the cyl. walls are in the crank ??

The lube for the cylinder walls come from oil tossed out through the rod  side clearance. There are no holes in the Crower rod caps.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1618 on: April 09, 2019, 10:31:20 PM »
Are they different widths?  trying to figure out how they affect side clearance... pics please

By looking closely I can see that the rod bearing edges are not symmetrical. I suppose this is for clearance of the crank radius. Here is how the bearings are marked; the "L" means that this is intended to be the lower half.

Offline floydjer

« Reply #1619 on: April 10, 2019, 10:41:45 AM »
I`ll be darned.  Side groove rather than a hole.