Author Topic: Mid- Engine Modified Sports  (Read 784798 times)

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
Re: Mid- Engine Modified Sports
« Reply #1530 on: September 30, 2018, 06:19:42 PM »
Neil, A 140 micron "filter" keeps out boulder, birds and small children! Pretty worthless in my view. That being said I did run an inlet filter on my electronic injected Zetec in my old lakes roadster but it was very large, -16 ports and the element was 100 micron but about 10 inches long. but I was having a problem with some material that I used to seal the gas tank and it was coming off in large chunks! I would not normally use an inlet filter on any pump. The 10 micron filter on the outlet is the right filter application.  It is the 25 micron and smaller stuff that is hard on fuel pumps and as I am sure that you have a very clean fuel tank and probably use a filter to put fuel in your tank my guess is that an inlet filter is not a requirement in your system.
Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1531 on: September 30, 2018, 06:29:17 PM »
Thanks, Rex. I recently replaced my fuel cell and I want to keep any little pieces of the foam baffling out of the pump inlet but still provide a low restriction inlet.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1532 on: October 17, 2018, 09:22:50 PM »
I did replace the 10 micron filter on my Carter electric fuel pump inlet with a 140u Kinsler filter and the pump is definitely quieter so I think it confirms that the pump was cavitating a bit here at 3,000 ft and lots worse at 4,200 ft.

Cranking over the engine does not sound good at all! There is a thunk thunk as it cranks. Being mid-engine, the crank nose is virtually impossible to get to so I can't turn the crank by hand. I'll pull all the plugs and see what they look like but I think I'm going to need to pull the engine and tear it down. I'll have a talk with my engine builder (me). Arrrggghhh................

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #1533 on: October 17, 2018, 11:14:01 PM »

Cranking over the engine does not sound good at all! There is a thunk thunk as it cranks. Being mid-engine, the crank nose is virtually impossible to get to so I can't turn the crank by hand. I'll pull all the plugs and see what they look like but I think I'm going to need to pull the engine and tear it down. I'll have a talk with my engine builder (me). Arrrggghhh................

Neil,

Plug condition may tell the story.    The "thunk, thunk" smacks of mechanical damage, but the tried and true diagnostics may provide some insight:

A/   Compression test,
2/   Leak down test,
d/   Most of the small video inspection cameras fit in a 14mm spark plug hole.

If it is a bottom end issue though, might not be revealed until a post mortem.

:cheers:  :dhorse:   :cheers:
F/b
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1534 on: October 18, 2018, 12:32:05 PM »
Fordboy;

Whatever it is, it's not trivial. I do have an el cheapo attachment for my cell phone that is a video camera fiber optic probe so I'll take a look in the cylinders to see if the engine ingested a foreign object, dropped a valve, etc. My guess, though, is that the noise is associated with the bottom end. We'll see. I'm committed to a car show on Saturday so I'll take it to town tomorrow and just tow it onto the field. I'll need some time to pull the engine/transaxle to do a teardown. I designed my chassis so I could remove a few tubes and then remove the engine & transaxle as an assembly so that makes it a bit easier.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #1535 on: October 18, 2018, 12:51:26 PM »
Is it a standard transmission? If so you could turn the engine by hand by turning the tires in gear. Sounds as though the engine need to come out anyway.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #1536 on: October 18, 2018, 11:51:27 PM »
I hope it's not serious. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1537 on: December 09, 2018, 09:03:39 PM »
Well... I drained the water out of the engine, pulled the intake manifold & carb off and removed the heads (Dart Pro-1). The heads look OK- no bent valves or burnt combustion chambers. In fact, everything was black- its been running pig rich. The tops of all the pistons look OK too except for being sooty black. I locked one rear wheel in place and turned the other wheel over in 5th gear with a 1" socket on a breaker bar and the engine turned over OK; all pistons look like they reach TDC so no seriously bent rods. I cranked over the engine on the starter for a second or two, sounds normal. The head gaskets (Felpro 1010) look OK, no evidence of leaks from any cylinder. I'll pull the pan and have a look at the bottom end next.

I'm beginning to think my Holley 850 DP may be a problem. It has 74H & 82 jets and a 6.5 power valve. The power valve may be too high for this cam (Crower 00427) and if it is, it may be opening even at idle and dumping too much fuel into the intake manifold. I should have checked the idle vacuum early on but I couldn't find my vacuum gauge (dumb move on my part). Maybe its blown- I'll check it. It may be time to replace my carb with a new Holley 850 Ultra HP.

Any comments or suggestions are welcome!

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #1538 on: December 10, 2018, 08:27:48 AM »
Neil...Blown power valve usually forces fuel out of the bowl vent when the engine is running.
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1539 on: December 10, 2018, 11:43:16 AM »
Thanks, I wonder if it comes out of the vent and then gets sucked into the intake?

After thinking about it, might the 4200 ft altitude aggravate a too- high power valve problem?

Offline RichFox

« Reply #1540 on: December 10, 2018, 12:48:11 PM »
I don't know what else you plan to do with your car. But for Bonneville and other WOT use, I found a blocked off power (Now called economizer) valve worked for me.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1541 on: December 10, 2018, 06:46:21 PM »
Back in the "Olden Days" when I was in College at William & Mary, I had a good friend who was a car guy and an artist, "Weed" we called him (a name from a sci-fi novel that he liked), his real name was "William S. Gregory" so he was called "Pope" on occasion. He drew a Christmas card for all of our close-knit group and I saved that card for all these years. This year I scanned it so that I could share it with you all.

Merry Christmas!

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 06:48:07 PM by manta22 »

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #1542 on: December 11, 2018, 08:29:54 AM »
wonderful that you kept that all those years Neil....Did you find your "thunk"?  Loose flywheel?  Starter motor?  Playful gremlin w/ a hammer?
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1543 on: December 11, 2018, 11:32:55 AM »
Yeah, I wonder what ever happened to Weed.

I've taken off the heads and found nothing amiss. Cranking it over on the starter for a second or two sounds normal.....?????????? Next thing is to drop the pan and have a look.

Merry Christmas!

Offline tauruck

« Reply #1544 on: December 11, 2018, 03:41:37 PM »
Gremlins. Someone's got exterminate these guys.👍