Author Topic: Mid- Engine Modified Sports  (Read 784867 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Mid- Engine Modified Sports
« Reply #1500 on: May 14, 2018, 12:00:02 PM »
"it is always something" :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1501 on: May 19, 2018, 08:17:13 PM »
The flapper valve on the bottom of the access cover of my fuel cell was too deteriorated to use again so I needed to replace it. This is a thin flap of rubber that is flexible enough to let fuel enter the tank but when inverted, it seals the opening- a big check valve. Replacement flappers were surprisingly hard to find but I found an internet source for a sheet of Viton rubber, 6” x 6” x 1/16” and ordered it.

It cut easily with a sharp pair of scissors so I used the old one as a template and cut out a new flapper. I installed it using the original bolts with nylon sealing washers. To make a more positive seal, I used Hylomar on the bolt threads and washer surfaces. Good as new.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1502 on: June 05, 2018, 07:59:37 PM »
During tech inspection last year, it was pointed out that my firewall needed to extend all the way out to the inside edges of the bodywork. I've finished an extension that will bolt to the main firewall (removed in this photo) and it will be sealed with 3M Fire Block. Now to get busy building one for the left side!

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #1503 on: June 11, 2018, 09:03:16 AM »
for a moment there I thought I was looking at a Ferrari P 3 :cheers: :cheers:
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1504 on: June 12, 2018, 10:53:01 AM »
for a moment there I thought I was looking at a Ferrari P 3 :cheers: :cheers:

Thanks ... Ferrari P3, one of Enzo's prettiest race cars!

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #1505 on: June 12, 2018, 02:35:56 PM »
indeed they were....Sadly,  Scuderia shields on the Suburban would be as close as I will ever come :cry:
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1506 on: June 12, 2018, 10:24:40 PM »
Today I finished my left side firewall extension. I had a rear brake proportioning valve mounted on the top surface of my left side pod that would be covered by the new panel so I had to add a round access plate in it so I can get my hand through to adjust the valve. It is held in place by three SS 10-32 screws and a SS prevailing- torque nut plate. Those little nut plates are a PITA and add more work but I think they will be worth it in the long run.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1507 on: June 15, 2018, 09:49:06 PM »
I cleaned the panels with denatured alcohol and sprayed them with a can of 2-part polyurethane. After this paint cured hard, I riveted in floating nut plates as can be seen in the attached photos. Next I’ll rivet the nut plates on the right side firewall extension.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1508 on: June 19, 2018, 07:26:36 PM »
The final step to finishing my firewall extensions were to add an additional layer of fire protection to these panels, similar to what I've done on my main firewall. It is a woven ceramic fiber textile with a thin aluminized backing. This provides a little thermal insulation but its main function is to be an additional fire barrier.
To test it, I fired up a small MAPP gas torch and heated the fiber to red heat. As you can see in the photo, it did not burn through. Moving the torch closer, it did finally burn through at an orange heat. I'm satisfied that installing it will be worthwhile. I cut the fabric to size and bonded it to the panels with red silicone RTV.
Now to re-install the main firewall and then add the extensions. I'll seal the whole thing with a tube of 3M Fire Barrier Silicone Sealant 2000+ that I bought from Aircraft Spruce. I hope it will be easier to apply than the red 3M Fire Barrier CP25WB+ that I used previously.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1509 on: June 19, 2018, 07:36:15 PM »
My exhaust headers were beginning to show some signs of rust even with the limited time that I've run the engine. My first plan was to take them to Phoenix to get a Jet-Hot coating applied. Unfortunately the Phoenix Jet-Hot office was shut down and it would have been necessary to send then all the way back to the East Coast Jet-Hot office. They quoted me a price of $900 (not including shipping) so I started looking elsewhere. Some racers had successfully used a high temperature coating called Cerakote so I searched the Internet and found an applicator here in Tucson. The price was $225 for these long-tube headers. I look forward to seeing how this holds up.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1510 on: June 19, 2018, 11:07:57 PM »
It might reduce the temperature in the engine compartment.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1511 on: June 20, 2018, 12:43:31 AM »
WW;

That would be a welcome effect!

Offline tauruck

« Reply #1512 on: June 20, 2018, 05:10:58 PM »
All R&D hey Neill. It never stops. :cheers:

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1513 on: June 20, 2018, 09:43:18 PM »
You are right about that, Mike!

Here is how the left side firewall extension looks now. It will be covered by bodywork when I put things back together.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1514 on: June 23, 2018, 10:27:57 PM »

I updated my project’s “build diary” on YouTube and replaced the previous version’s music soundtrack with a recording that I made at the 1,000 kM ADAC sports car race which was held at the Nurburgring in 1963. This original tape recording was made with a “Butoba” German battery-operated portable tape recorder. Its drive motor was a mechanical spring-wound flyball-governed motor that I had to wind with a folding crank handle now and then. There are two announcers that can be heard- one speaking in German, followed by an English announcer. The Nurburgring is a very long circuit (back in 1963 it was longer than it is today); sports cars of that era required about 9 minutes to complete a lap on this old “Nordschliefe”, dubbed “The Green Hell” by Jackie Stewart.

The pictures are not in strict chronological order but they are close. As you can see, I changed things as I went along and when I thought of better ways of doing things. It’s a long video but you can scroll forward if you like. Work is on-going.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2Iq3Om7TvA&feature=youtu.be