Author Topic: Mid- Engine Modified Sports  (Read 784790 times)

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
Re: Mid- Engine Modified Sports
« Reply #1485 on: December 20, 2017, 08:12:51 PM »
I pulled all the plugs and let the car set while Joline & I were back in Nashville visiting relatives. I hoped that any remaining gas in the cylinders would evaporate while I was gone. Today cranked the engine without the plugs and it spun just fine so I pulled off the primary fuel bowl (it was dry  :? ), replaced the needle & seat with a new Holley part, and dry- set the float level. I did the same thing with the secondary fuel bowl- it was full of gas. The secondary needle & seat o-ring was buggered so I replaced it with a new Holley N & S and dry-set the float level in it, too.
Maybe tomorrow I'll have time to re-install the plugs and fire it up. I'll look carefully to see if I see any gas dripping from the primaries.

What power valve (" Hg) does anyone run in their Holley primary?

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #1486 on: December 21, 2017, 01:16:46 AM »
Check the oil quality before you start... is it overfull with gas...  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1487 on: December 21, 2017, 11:06:17 AM »
Thanks, Stainless. It sure is- I'll drain the oil & re-fill it before starting the engine.

Interestingly, it was common practice in the olden days to use an "oil dilution" system to mix gasoline into the oil before shutdown on aircraft engines in very cold temperatures. When the engine was restarted, the oil was thin enough to circulate and as it warmed up the gas evaporated out of the oil and it became its normal viscosity.

Offline WhiskersMagee

• New folks
« Reply #1488 on: December 27, 2017, 12:32:56 PM »
Great progress love you car

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1489 on: December 27, 2017, 07:50:31 PM »
Thank you, Magee.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1490 on: March 18, 2018, 06:12:49 PM »
Its been a while since I posted anything, so this brings things up to date.

I took my car down to the Tubac car show on the 27th of January. Tubac is a location of one of the original Spanish Missions in southern Arizona. The show cars are driven on to the Tubac Country Club golf course and displayed there.

I loaded my car on its trailer the day before the show and put 2 gallons of 100LL av gas in the tank, thinking it would be more than enough for the short drive from the trailer unloading area to the golf course. Early the next morning I towed my trailer to Tubac and unloaded the Mirage, started it up and drove it a short distance to where a line of cars were waiting to get on to the golf course. There was a delay in driving on to the grass because there was frost and the club did not want to have cars damage the grass. After the sun warmed everything up, the line of cars began to move and I fired up the engine and joined the long line. I drove about a hundred yards and the engine quit. It turned out that I had developed a small leak in my fuel cell bladder and most of the gas had leaked out overnight. By the time I started it up that last time, it was running only on what fuel was in the carburetor float bowls.

The staff kindly towed me down to a spot close to the entrance on to the field.....no way was I ever going to make it up their short ramp over the curb on to the grass. It was just as well that it quit where it did. The organizers did suggest that I could load the car back on to the trailer and they would show me a back way on to the course, and I could leave the car on the trailer and park the whole rig in the “special interest” area. That worked; I was in a row with a Chris- Craft wooden speed boat and an Airstream Bambi travel trailer... There was quite a bit of interest in the Mirage and a number of favorable comments from people who I respect. To answer most questions people have had in the past, I made up a sign that explained the car's main points.

It was a disappointment not to be able to drive my car on to the course but it was still an enjoyable and worthwhile day. I ordered a replacement ProCell bladder from Fuel Safe and it arrived within a few days. Now to install it... lots of stuff needs to be removed to do that.  :-(  I also received my new set of race tires last week; now I need to have the old Goodyears removed and the Hoosiers mounted & balanced.

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #1491 on: March 19, 2018, 09:00:44 AM »
Sounds like a fun day of elbow rubbing w/ the tea and crumpet set Neil...I have a fond memory of being at Meadowbrook when Buck Boudeman (now gone) won his class with his NOVI..and drove it across the stand to receive it`s ribbon. Lord what a sound. Second only to Al Bergler lighting up The " Motown Shaker" fuel funny car and rattling ice cubes out of Patti`s drink. :cheers:
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1492 on: May 06, 2018, 07:54:43 PM »
I have pulled out my firewall in preparation to extend it out further, per inspectors last year, and there is a lot of that red goo that was used to seal gaps still remaining. Most large blobs can be peeled off but there is still some residual sealant left on the chassis tubes. This is 3M Firestop; does anyone know what can be used to wipe this stuff off clean?

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1493 on: May 06, 2018, 08:02:51 PM »
I was wrong; it is actually "3M™ Fire Barrier Sealant CP 25WB+", not "Firestop".

Offline tauruck

« Reply #1494 on: May 07, 2018, 10:35:13 AM »
Looking great Neil. Thanks for the update. :cheers:

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1495 on: May 07, 2018, 05:15:14 PM »
Thanks, Mike.

No suggestions were forthcoming so I called 3M and they suggested acetone or other solvents. I had a can of toluene so I tried it and it worked reasonably well. The 3M data sheet states that tools can be cleaned up with water but that is before the stuff dries (cures?). After it dries into a solid, rubbery bead water doesn't clean it off. What doesn't peel off with your thumbnail can be cleaned with toluene or acetone and, presumably, MEK.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #1496 on: May 09, 2018, 12:16:24 AM »
Happy you found a solution. Rubber is hard to get rid of. :evil:

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1497 on: May 13, 2018, 06:10:13 PM »
As I mentioned before, during the Green Valley car show in February I noticed that I had a fuel leak. It had to be a leak in the fuel call bladder so I ordered a new one from Fuel Safe.

This week I drilled out about 100 rivets that secured an aluminum cover plate to the chassis on the right side pod where the fuel cell was located. Removing the aluminum container box top cover, I could immediately see why it was leaking. The bladder material was past time to replace it.

I’ll exchange the access plates and put the new bladder in and re-rivet the cover plate this week.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #1498 on: May 13, 2018, 10:51:59 PM »
This stuff never seems to stop.
Maybe it has to do with the cars being
used so seldom?.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1499 on: May 14, 2018, 10:33:49 AM »