Author Topic: Mid- Engine Modified Sports  (Read 784791 times)

Offline Buickguy3

Re: Mid- Engine Modified Sports
« Reply #1440 on: July 31, 2017, 03:45:22 PM »
  Neil, Are the deck plates screwed down to the frame crossmembers?
  Doug
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1441 on: July 31, 2017, 03:52:39 PM »
Yes they are, Doug.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #1442 on: August 01, 2017, 09:46:30 AM »
I'm looking at the profile, and I expect the car won't be sitting any taller than the bed of the truck.

You probably won't even know you're trailering something.

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #1443 on: August 01, 2017, 04:08:13 PM »
  Neil, Just something to watch. We tow with a Sloan rollback. After the first year when we got home from the Salt we noticed that several of the screws had worked loose and a couple had the heads snapped off. We run a fairly heavy car , a Jag XJ-6 and the flex of the deck had worked the screws out. That year it had also rained and we had to drive through about a foot of Salt water to get to the pits and what we found when we got home was that the cross members were full of Salt water that could not get out. Also the bottom plates at the loading end are sealed up making a little reservoir about 2 feet square that holds lots of Salt water. Not trying to scare anybody, but something to watch.
   Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1444 on: August 01, 2017, 05:57:00 PM »
Thanks, Doug. My car weighs only about 1950 lbs so I doubt that the trailer deck will be doing much flexing. I'll watch out for trapped salt water- thanks for that suggestion.

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
« Reply #1445 on: August 18, 2017, 11:32:53 PM »
Neil, what problems did you have with tech?

John

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1446 on: August 19, 2017, 11:24:45 AM »
John;

There were a couple of problems that I knew I needed to correct. The major ones were the cockpit ingress/egress and getting my fire bottles' certs up to date. When I started this project, I could get in & out of the car OK, not easy but OK. As the safety requirements were added, it caused problems. An SFI-20 fire suit added bulk but the HANS device, larger SA2015 helmet, and lateral head supports all together made it too hard the get in & out when suited up. If I had all that required stuff when I was building the chassis I could have allowed for it. I couldn't find anyone here locally at the last minute to certify my Halon bottles. I also needed to get a new window net-- my off-the shelf rectangular net was too short and wasn't a good fit in the door opening. My fault entirely.

I fabricated a stainless firewall that covered the rear roll cage hoop and extended to the bottom of the chassis but Tech said that it needed to extend out to the inside of the bodywork. There was also some question as to the rectangular tubing I used in the chassis. I need to send photos of my bare chassis to inspector Mikey. Does anyone have his e-mail address? Mikey tried to get Lee Kennedy over to my pit to have a look but he didn't make it.

I've tried to build my car as a dual-purpose track day/LSR car, not to set records but to have fun with. I hope I can satisfy the SCTA rules without totally compromising the track potential.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #1447 on: August 19, 2017, 02:00:13 PM »
Sorry to hear you didn't get to run Neil, like so many of us I know you've put your heart & sole into it. I also built my liner chassis before the head & neck rule & had to go back & make changes to accommodate it.
  Sid.

Offline jl222

« Reply #1448 on: August 19, 2017, 02:02:26 PM »
  I think I was the only one here that complained about the Hans device being a trap when the original rule was made. And if anyone noticed, Hans made a design change to a shorter style. Must have got plenty of complaints
about hang ups on roll cages.

Then with the lateral head support we have a hard time getting in and out. But we did make the bailout.

The Nexgen release on one side didn't release on one of my runs and luckily wasn't and emergency.

Anyhow I used to feel comfortable before these rules now I feel trapped.

Checking out cars in line I noticed one roadster who's head restraint couldn't possibly be long enough to go to front edge of helmet.

JL222

Offline gray63

« Reply #1449 on: August 19, 2017, 03:40:53 PM »
John;

There were a couple of problems that I knew I needed to correct. The major ones were the cockpit ingress/egress and getting my fire bottles' certs up to date. When I started this project, I could get in & out of the car OK, not easy but OK. As the safety requirements were added, it caused problems. An SFI-20 fire suit added bulk but the HANS device, larger SA2015 helmet, and lateral head supports all together made it too hard the get in & out when suited up. If I had all that required stuff when I was building the chassis I could have allowed for it. I couldn't find anyone here locally at the last minute to certify my Halon bottles. I also needed to get a new window net-- my off-the shelf rectangular net was too short and wasn't a good fit in the door opening. My fault entirely.

I fabricated a stainless firewall that covered the rear roll cage hoop and extended to the bottom of the chassis but Tech said that it needed to extend out to the inside of the bodywork. There was also some question as to the rectangular tubing I used in the chassis. I need to send photos of my bare chassis to inspector Mikey. Does anyone have his e-mail address? Mikey tried to get Lee Kennedy over to my pit to have a look but he didn't make it.

I've tried to build my car as a dual-purpose track day/LSR car, not to set records but to have fun with. I hope I can satisfy the SCTA rules without totally compromising the track potential.

Neil,  It was good to visit with you again at Bonneville.  This is the first time that I have seen the car and It was every bit
as good as I knew it would be. I hope that you will resolve your tech issues and compete next year. It was good to see you
as always.
PS   maybe I will bring John Sabel with me next year.
Dave Gray

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #1450 on: August 19, 2017, 09:34:52 PM »
Neil:

Sorry to hear that. Tech is tough out there but for the right reasons. I am sure they have seen a lot of seriously flawed fab work over the years.

Car looks great in the picture.

BR
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #1451 on: August 19, 2017, 11:28:41 PM »
  I came by but you were gone. Sorry I missed meeting you. The car is absolutely as nice as I had pictured as I watched the build over the years. Nice work.
    Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
                   [America]

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1452 on: August 20, 2017, 12:09:19 AM »
Neil,  I look forward to seeing and heazring your
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1453 on: August 20, 2017, 06:15:39 PM »
John;

Neil,  It was good to visit with you again at Bonneville.  This is the first time that I have seen the car and It was every bit
as good as I knew it would be. I hope that you will resolve your tech issues and compete next year. It was good to see you
as always.
PS   maybe I will bring John Sabel with me next year.
Dave Gray

Dave, It was good to see you, too. I hope John Sabel can make it to Bonneville with you next year. I think he would really enjoy it!

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
« Reply #1454 on: August 20, 2017, 10:00:09 PM »
Neil, I can relate to all of what you said. Most of my time, lately, is consumed with meeting letter and intent of rules. I am going so far as to send tech pictures of areas I have questions or doubts about. Tech people have been very helpful with this process and so far, feel comfortable with progress made. But the final analysis will come when I suit up fully, climb in the car, strap in, close and lock the canopy, then see if I can get out under my own power. If not, I become a crew member instead of a driver.

John
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 10:01:55 PM by ggl205 »