Author Topic: Mid- Engine Modified Sports  (Read 787016 times)

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
Re: Mid- Engine Modified Sports
« Reply #1275 on: March 25, 2017, 08:18:13 PM »
I wondered about that but since the rulebook says I can't modify the rear body (only from the cowl forward) I left it alone. Maybe Dan or an inspector can chime in on this.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline jl222

« Reply #1276 on: March 29, 2017, 03:12:29 PM »
Sorry about doing this one photo at a time but right now two or more photos doesn't work.

Neil...the tunnel air going under the spoiler will negate the pressure difference between the high pressure above the spoiler
and the low pressure below, What ever the difference is multiply by sq inchs of spoiler for down force.

Pain in the asx. but looks like you could move spoiler to tunnel level and pressure would work. You would have to trim some
off the top of side plates but your allowed 8'' below spoiler also.

Good luck jl222

« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 03:18:05 PM by jl222 »

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1277 on: March 29, 2017, 04:37:53 PM »
I may have to make a small block-off plate to stop that airflow. Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1278 on: March 29, 2017, 04:51:05 PM »
Something strange -- can't post more than one photo at a time or it says "timed out"....etc.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ      off to NZ tomorrow  :-)

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #1279 on: March 29, 2017, 06:31:06 PM »
I can't post a picture -- it says it's too big and I've resized it numerous times -- and it's under the limit.

No big thing, any way.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1280 on: April 16, 2017, 07:24:37 PM »
We got back home from NZ last night and I found a recall notice from Simpson for my new helmet.  :-( I will call them tomorrow for a return authorization; it's a good thing that I kept the box that it was shipped in. The adjustable HANS arrived before we left on our trip.  :-)

Offline JoshHefnerX

• New folks
« Reply #1281 on: April 21, 2017, 04:09:29 PM »
Just read through this build.  Pretty awesome - reminds me of Batman's ride only better!

I know this was a while back but you posted several times about the pickup points on the rear suspension - and how they weren't right.  I'm wondering if Porsche was counting the rubber compliance into the calculations on the pickup points.  Such that when they load up under use they change their camber/caster/toe curves on purpose.  The 2nd gen RX-7's did this they called it rear-steer.  Can't imagine an engineering company like Porsche didn't do it quite right but it's always possible.

Been a very interesting build - didn't see in your diary here, did you have any prediction or mark on what you're shooting for speed wise?

Josh

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1282 on: April 21, 2017, 05:13:23 PM »
Thanks, Josh. I concluded the same thing about the Porsche geometry. Rubber bushings have enough compliance that they distort significantly when loaded; Porsche must have tried to compensate for that.

As far a speed goals- I just hope to drive a car that I built myself on the Bonneville Salt Flats. Setting a record is not really a goal for me but I would like to go reasonably fast. The R & P ratio in my G50 transaxle as it is now will limit my speed to about 190 @ 7500 RPM. I've found a source for a lower R & P so next year it should have a higher speed potential. For this year, it should be OK for getting my licensing passes, etc.

Actually, I feel like Burt Munro- just getting to Bonneville is a big milestone.  :-)

Offline JoshHefnerX

• New folks
« Reply #1283 on: April 21, 2017, 05:37:15 PM »
I will say it's been enlightening to see your build.  I haven't gotten a rule book yet as I'm a couple of years away from starting my build yet but I'm surprised at the amount of safety requirements involved just to get to the 200mph mark. 

There's dozens of cars today that can make 200 right off the showroom floor.  And I know there's a big difference between them and something you've built but seeing how much you've had to add to your car in weight is kinda making me rethink my build.

Josh

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #1284 on: April 21, 2017, 05:46:45 PM »
Neil - I shudder to think how fast Burt would have gone had he had your stockpile of weapons-grade unobtanium and NASA cast-off parts in the corner of his shed!  :wink:

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1285 on: April 21, 2017, 05:55:00 PM »
Chris;

I watched "The World's Fastest Indian" on Air New Zealand on the way to Auckland. No doubt Burt would have gone to the moon with suitable supplies like those.  :-D

Josh;

It is time to get a rule book- even if your project is a couple of years away. It will give you a good idea of what is required in the various classes.

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #1286 on: April 21, 2017, 07:30:00 PM »
Neil said: "The R & P ratio in my G50 transaxle as it is now will limit my speed to about 190 @ 7500 RPM." Neil you don't need another gear you need a 8500 rpm limiter chip! I helped Stu Van Dyne with Junior Kurtz's A/FS several years ago and it had a 499 in. BBC and it turned 85-8700 rpm every run and we made at least 6-8 runs and all we did was adjust the valves and check the timing.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1287 on: April 21, 2017, 08:03:33 PM »
Rex;

:cheers:  Yes, but this is a relatively mild- tune engine that I'm using to get the car sorted out. These heads only have stud- mounted rocker arms. BHP falls off over 7200 RPm fairly quickly with this engine. Banzai runs will be made with another Donovan block using Brodix heads with T & D shaft rockers. I'll feel more confident spinning that engine tighter.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #1288 on: April 21, 2017, 10:20:39 PM »
Neil - I shudder to think how fast Burt would have gone had he had your stockpile of weapons-grade unobtanium and NASA cast-off parts in the corner of his shed!  :wink:

The NASA cast-off parts really interest me. :wink:
I'd love to see some. Closest I get is watching the ISS
go past my place once in a while. :-D.

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #1289 on: April 21, 2017, 10:36:31 PM »
I watch it, too.  8-) Wayno