Author Topic: Mid- Engine Modified Sports  (Read 787259 times)

Offline Ron Gibson

Re: Mid- Engine Modified Sports
« Reply #1005 on: January 03, 2016, 10:22:41 AM »
Mike
Not trying to be the bearer of bad news but being able to know exactly where things are in the clutter will go away with age.  Ask how I know.  :-( :-(
I tell my friends that I have a bigger tool box than theirs, mine is 35' X 45' and I find stuff that I forgot I had all the time. My favorite is to buy an assortment of O-rings or something else, then discover I already have one.
Keep up the fabulous work. The car is looking great.

Neil
when I saw the picture I wondered what the smooth stuff the car was sitting on was. :-D :-D

Ron
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 10:25:54 AM by Ron Gibson »
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #1006 on: January 03, 2016, 10:30:05 AM »
Sorry for the hijack, but isn't that how everyone gets four or five of most bits in the shop?

Ron Gibson said:  "...My favorite is to buy an assortment of O-rings or something else, then discover I already have one."

:-D :-D
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline tauruck

« Reply #1007 on: January 03, 2016, 11:25:27 AM »
Jon, I hope Neil doesn't boot us all in the O ring for jacking his thread????? :-D :lol:

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #1008 on: January 04, 2016, 12:47:43 AM »
Neil,

Luv the car and your quality standards of work.

Also luv the cleanliness and organization of your shop.

My garage still looks like a goat exploded in it.   Ah well, someday soon, I'm chippin' away at it.

:cheers:
Fordboy

Mark, I had a friend come by and help me tidy up my shop!!!!.

Since then I can't find S%$*t. :evil:
In all the chaos before I knew where everything was but now????? :-P

I suffer from "organizational chaos" as well.    But I can get things done and can find what I am looking for.   Which is why I do not allow anyone to "help" me to re-organize.

The real problem is too many projects for too many people.

:cheers:
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1009 on: January 04, 2016, 10:39:09 AM »
The biggest "problems" with cleaning up and re-organizing the shop start when the one "helping" is the wife.  :-P

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline tauruck

« Reply #1010 on: January 04, 2016, 10:50:04 AM »
She's a keeper Neil!!!!! :-D

Judging by the state of your work area she must be special.

I won't let my missus help. I have to wear a mask and protective gear when I sweep.
Carbon dust!!!!!!.  :-D :-D :-D

Offline Freud

« Reply #1011 on: January 04, 2016, 01:03:25 PM »
Mike, apparently you are able to find the mask sometimes.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1012 on: January 04, 2016, 07:39:54 PM »
She's a keeper Neil!!!!! :-D

Judging by the state of your work area she must be special.

I won't let my missus help. I have to wear a mask and protective gear when I sweep.
Carbon dust!!!!!!.  :-D :-D :-D

That is for sure, Mike.

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #1013 on: January 05, 2016, 10:23:51 AM »
Washer/dryer are in the laundry room....No reason for the bride to be in the shop. ( No, Mrs. Floydjer is not reading over my shoulder) :cheers:
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #1014 on: January 05, 2016, 12:05:29 PM »
Washer/dryer are in the laundry room....No reason for the bride to be in the shop. ( No, Mrs. Floydjer is not reading over my shoulder) :cheers:

Thin ice man, thin ice...
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1015 on: January 27, 2016, 04:53:55 PM »
I'm finishing up the coolant plumbing. I needed to run a small line from the inlet side of the water pump to my radiator vent tank so I ordered a beaded aluminum tube with a 1/4 NPT fitting welded into the middle for that connection from Speedway Motors. To fit into the space available, I had to cut about 1" off each end and re-beaded it. The silicone hose was also cut about 1" shorter. I heat-shrunk a Gates Power Grip clamp over these connections but, since the assembly needs to be removable, I have to use T-bolt clamps on the other ends.

I really like these Gates clamps.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1016 on: January 27, 2016, 05:09:35 PM »
Since I've decided to remove the MFI manifold temporarily until I get things sorted out with a Holley 850 double pumper, I needed to get a 7psi electric fuel pump. After looking at a bunch of fuel pumps, I bought a Carter pump; I used a smaller version on a Sable sports racer that I built back in the late '60s-'70s. I like the design of the Carter electric pumps- they are rotary pumps with built-in relief valves so the fuel pressure is constant without an external regulator.

Since it is a flooded motor design, the motor needs to be mounted below the pump. It appears that it is mounted "upside down" but that is the correct way Carter says to mount it. The picture shows it mounted on an aluminum plate that I made to fasten to a couple of chassis tubes. The whole thing is turned over to attach the wiring. For a little extra bit of safety, I put some meltable inner wall heat shrink tubing over the exposed 12V terminal.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #1017 on: January 28, 2016, 12:11:12 AM »
Neil, you do such neat work.
Those pipes look good.
I built something similar but I have a filler cap where you have the valve.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1018 on: February 09, 2016, 03:30:13 PM »
Well, #*^%*$@!

I need to remove the water pump pulley that I have installed now and replace it with a different one that will line up better with the crank pulley. Sure enough, the pulley won't come off-- there is a chassis tube in the way. I can't cut that tube because it is one that attaches my safety harness. I tried pulling the water pump bolts out and sliding it sideways but it won't go far enough to get the pulley off. Arrrggghhh.

It looks like I'll have to lift up or lower down the engine a little to remove the pulley and install the new one. Dodge!!!

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #1019 on: February 09, 2016, 05:36:57 PM »
If you cut away the offending pulley, would there be enough room to install the new one without having to pull the engine?  :roll:

I feel for you, Neil.  Still working on the Frankensprite, and realized after the engine was installed that the only way the starter could be fitted was to pull the engine . . . and the radiator . . . and the carburetor . . . and the header . . and the steering shaft . . . and the shift lever . . . and the bonnet . . . and the oil lines . . .  :|

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll: