Author Topic: Mid- Engine Modified Sports  (Read 784821 times)

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
Re: Mid- Engine Modified Sports
« Reply #900 on: July 20, 2015, 07:35:45 PM »
I was somewhat puzzled by how to mount the Safecraft fire suppression spray nozzles in my engine bay. These are automatic systems that go off when the nozzle reaches around 300F so the lines are fully pressurized all the way from the bottle to the nozzle. The strange thing is that there is a jam nut on the threaded section just behind the nozzle. ??? You can't remove the nut without removing the nozzle- which empties the bottle! The Safecraft instructions offer no suggestions whatsoever on how to mount the nozzle.  :?  Am I missing something?

The only thing I could think of was to mount the nozzle in a slot rather than in a hole, so I found a couple of surplus aircraft formed aluminum pieces and drilled a hole which fit the diameter of the threaded section of the nozzle and then carefully cut a slot in each one with a hacksaw. A file dressed the cut edges and it didn't turn out too bad.

I'll post a picture later with the nozzles & brackets bolted into place in the engine bay.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #901 on: July 20, 2015, 09:53:53 PM »
Neil:

I have an automatic #10 FireBottle in the trunk area for the fuel cell and batteries. It was my feeling I might not know until a fire was raging behind me. I had to make a slotted tab mount too albeit not as professional as yours. I like the idea that at 325 degrees it will do it's thing back there. I talked to the guys at FireBottle at the time and they said a slotted mount was the only way. Not sure why they don't have an on and off valve at the base of the hose.

The build is looking great.

BR

ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #902 on: July 20, 2015, 09:54:04 PM »
   Neil,
   This summons up another question. Since the system is essentially activated upon installation, the bottles have to be recertified every 2 years and in this case refilled? Is the liquid in the system capable of handling below freezing temps? We were told that our Firefox system could be re-certified three times [6 years] and then the bottles had to be removed from service after that. In your system would the bottles and lines and nozzles have to be removed? They say it's because of possible corrosion that compromizes the components.
   Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #903 on: July 20, 2015, 10:15:17 PM »
BR;

You'd think that Safecraft would mention the slotted mount in their installation instructions. As I learned from a Porsche years ago, in a rear-engine car you are the last one to know you're on fire! Actually, Safecraft has developed a bottle valve that can shut off the lines. I think this is intended where the lines must be installed in places that require the lines to be snaked through several bulkheads. Nice, but I'm sure that it is expen$ive.

Doug;

These bottles are filled with either 1211 or FE36- I'd have to go take a look to see which. It is one of the normal Halon sire suppressants that are used in manually-activated systems so I don't see why there would be anything special about these. Re-cert is necessary for any system. I think the aqueous- based systems have a different set of limitations-- corrosion & freezing temps. Thanks for the suggestions.

I installed the nozzles this evening. I still need to safety wire the driver's side mount and make two rectangular pieces of aluminum to make sure that the nozzle can't ever slip out of the slots.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #904 on: July 24, 2015, 08:25:28 PM »
I made two little aluminum plates to insure that the nozzles couldn't slip out of the notch and installed them. The backside has lock nuts on each screw. My safety wire job sure could look better!

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #905 on: July 25, 2015, 07:13:58 PM »
Today I installed two connectors for my ignition box, a Crane HI-6. The big black two-pin connector is a Delphi Weather Pack and the smaller grey one is a 4-pin Deutsch DT04. These are nice to assemble; the pins are crimped or soldered on the end of the wires and then pushed into the rear of the connector until the retainer clicks. They are pretty easy to remove as well. Both types are water-tite.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #906 on: July 27, 2015, 05:55:38 PM »
After checking the voltages at the connector pins with a voltmeter when the appropriate switches & circuit breakers were ON, I stripped the end of a wire that Crane calls "points" and made a short wire that I wrapped around the PS92 coil high voltage terminal and bent it close to the mount to simulate a spark plug gap. Plugging in the newly-installed connectors resulted in a red LED indicator on the HI-6, which is normal- so far so good, no smoke, no tripped breakers, so I momentarily touched the "points" wire to ground and voila! A big fat spark! Scraping the wire along ground resulted in a shower of sparks from the "spark plug" and the tach needle moved up scale. YAY    :-D  :-D  :-D

Offline Finallygotit

« Reply #907 on: July 28, 2015, 10:25:29 AM »
No smoke is a good thing!
Dan
Tucson, AZ

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #908 on: July 28, 2015, 11:05:51 AM »
We hope our smoke test of Ms Liberty will be as successful!!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #909 on: August 02, 2015, 11:10:18 PM »
Have you made any progress lately Neil?
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #910 on: August 03, 2015, 11:11:30 AM »
Well since Speedweek was cancelled I have decided to go ahead and go on a little vacation so Joline
 and I are in Albuquerque right now getting ready to head out on Interstate 40 to Nashville to visit Jolene's two sisters so it'll be awhile before I get back to work on the car

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #911 on: August 13, 2015, 09:34:11 AM »
WOS is right around the corner!
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #912 on: August 13, 2015, 10:41:58 AM »
True. I'm in Nashville visiting Joline's sisters so I don't know how much time I'll have when I get back to Tucson. It least the car is closer to being finished than it was. WF is coming up, too.

Regards, Neil  (Nashville)

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #913 on: August 26, 2015, 07:35:25 PM »
Well, Joline and I are back from our trip. We swung down to Big Bend, TX on the way back-- a nice part of the country.

I bought a used DJ Safety fire suit before I left on our trip and it was delivered when we returned. It is a one-piece SFI-20 suit in really good condition but I will need to send it in for re-certification- $132. I'll need a helmet too but I'm hesitant about buying one on line; I'd rather try it on to insure that it fits properly. I doubt that I'll find any dealers in Tucson but Phoenix might be a possibility.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #914 on: August 27, 2015, 12:07:47 AM »
Glad you made it home safely and hope you had a good time?. :cheers:

I had an offer to go fishing for a week but have more important stuff to do.
I gave my "son" Peter a bunch of salt water lures to try. A hard thing to do being the lure miser that I am
but the kid treats me like gold.  :wink:

Helmets?. Gotta get the best every time and I know you'll do the right thing.
IMO, too many manufacturers meeting the minimum standard.
Let us know how the hunt goes Neil.