Author Topic: Mid- Engine Modified Sports  (Read 784864 times)

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
Re: Mid- Engine Modified Sports
« Reply #675 on: November 13, 2014, 08:50:09 PM »
Stainless;

Nope, all I had were .22 Long Rifle. I aimed to use the "V" shaped steel sliding- door track as a bullet deflector. The bullets went through Mr Rattler and splattered lead on the wall in small pieces. I didn't want to put holes through the wall unless I had to.

Joline had gone to the shop to retrieve something from her sewing room (above the shop); I was in the house so she called me on the phone "There is something here making noise and scaring me..." At that point she didn't know it was a snake-- probably a good thing.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline tauruck

« Reply #676 on: November 13, 2014, 08:59:26 PM »
I had a Baretta .22 that used shorts but you can't even buy that ammo here anymore.
Obsolete they said.

My friend Guido drove 400 miles to the coast to buy an old Rover 90 that had been standing out
in the yard.
He towed it home and when he started stripping the car he found tiny tiny eggs under the seat.

He calls me and says he also saw a cute green snake hanging around. The eggs hatched too.
He won't kill anything, this guy. I know the area he bought the car so I sent him a "cute" pic of the snake
he described. He says, "That's it".

Green Mamba, fool. You're in a world of Doo Doo. I won't go to his place now.
Those things go looking for trouble and are deadly.

You did good Neil. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #677 on: November 13, 2014, 09:31:53 PM »
Neil, Yep good that Joline didn't know what it was and that no holes are in the shop wall... after I hit send I thought about my first Air Force boss and his buddies getting a boat from Rec Services, taking it out fishing in Arkansas.  Water Moccasin  dropped out of a tree and into the aluminum jon boat with them, Bill had a 9 shot 22 revolver in the tackle box... shortly they were scrambling to get to shore before the 9 holes under the snake put them in the water with a lot more possibilities. 
His buddies ratted him out when we were all drinking a few beers after work one night.  :-D
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #678 on: November 13, 2014, 09:44:19 PM »
We tied hooks baited with bacon rind onto lines tied to tree limbs during summers in Oklahoma.  We made a circuit baiting them then repeated the loop to retrieve any caught fish.  My grandpa told me about cottonmouths laying up in the limbs just waiting to fall on a nice tender boy.  I never saw them.  It looks like these folks did.  Snakes are a lot worse than spiders.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #679 on: November 19, 2014, 06:28:06 PM »
The front suspension is now finished and aligned, except for toe-in which I'll set to zero later. I re-made my anti-roll bar down links to get a little more clearance around the bottom of the upright and around the coil-over adjusting nut.

Today I mounted a big electrical connector that will allow me to charge the battery or to start the engine using an external 12V battery. It is made by Elcon and rated for beaucoup amps. It is mounted with 4 ea 10-32 Ti screws into steel Riv-nuts.

I measured the dimensions of a panel in the cockpit that I'll need to cut out. More rivet fun coming up!  :-P

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #680 on: November 19, 2014, 08:47:50 PM »
There are two reasons I shouldn't, and therefore don't own a gun.

1 - I can't hit the broad side of a barn door.

2 - If I could, given the knuckleheads on the roads in Beerhaven, the damned thing would probably be empty before I got it home.

But I'd be hard pressed to come up with a better way to celebrate a birthday than by shooting snakes and working on a race car!

:cheers:

Chris
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline tauruck

« Reply #681 on: November 20, 2014, 12:12:12 AM »
That's a really nice unit Neil and knowing you it must be aero spec. :cheers:

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #682 on: November 20, 2014, 11:11:50 AM »
Thanks, Mike. Yes, it is a standard MS3509 aircraft battery connector, rated for 750 amps continuous- 1500 amps intermittent. Overkill, but I had one so I used it.

I found a nice Clark Cable crimping tool on eBay for the wire terminations that I'll be doing soon. I lucked out on it-- incredibly cheap for this type of tool. These put a proper crimp on terminals made by AMP, T & B, Molex, etc. I'm avoiding those Chinese- made crimp terminals because they are not reliable.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #683 on: November 21, 2014, 12:32:50 AM »
It looks great Neil. You're right about what guys here call "Fong Kong" quality.
None on my car thank God.
When do you think you might be ready to run?.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #684 on: November 21, 2014, 10:39:34 AM »
Next year, Mike (fingers crossed)  :|

Offline tauruck

« Reply #685 on: November 22, 2014, 09:35:25 PM »
I'm looking forward to seeing it done and ready to run. :cheers:

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #686 on: November 22, 2014, 11:04:17 PM »
Me too, Mike!

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #687 on: December 01, 2014, 05:30:55 PM »
I've finished fabricating two (0.063"7075-T6) aluminum panels that close the cockpit on the inside of the chassis tubes. I did the usual zinc chromate epoxy primer preparation & spray paint. There are a few electrical components mounted on the right side panel so I installed a few 1/4-28 floating nutplates on the backside since that side will not be accessible once the panel is riveted in place.

Four stainless steel 10-32 Rivnuts provide secure mounting points for two 80 amp auto- reset circuit breakers. Two 40A relays handle a couple of high current circuits while one enormous relay serves as a master electrical cut-off. I have no idea what it was originally from, but it says "Air Force- US Army"; but considering the Air Force became an independent service in 1947, it must be old-- an early B-25 or B26 maybe? They used a 12V electrical system but so did an early C-47, AT-6, and SBD.

I've started riveting the left side panel on with a G-36 manual tool but I'm switching over to my air-hydraulic tool-- the NAS 1919 rivets have A286 bodies & stems, a nickel-iron superalloy. They are too hard to pull any more by hand!

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 05:43:06 PM by manta22 »

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #688 on: December 02, 2014, 06:50:58 PM »
The left side inner panel is now riveted on-- 66 rivets in this one. I used the air/hydraulic riveter on some of the last ones- what a difference! The right side panel is only Clecoed on to check the fit. I'll put Blue Goo in the joint before pulling the rivets. The large hole with a bolt sticking out of the left panel is for the lap belt. I used a self- locking captive nut in the chassis bracket.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #689 on: December 03, 2014, 11:39:07 PM »
The quality of your build never ceases to amaze me.
We could all learn a lot from you Neil.

Your choice of materials and components is awesome.

I'd love to be there when the car goes for tech inspection the first time.
Those guys are in for a treat. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: