Author Topic: Mid- Engine Modified Sports  (Read 784804 times)

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
Re: Mid- Engine Modified Sports
« Reply #660 on: October 27, 2014, 01:13:23 PM »
Don;

Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, I do have a stop on the (hydraulic) clutch pedal as well as on the accelerator pedal. They are bolts threaded into nut plates mounted on the front bulkhead-- not real obvious in the photo.

The fore and aft position of the accelerator pedal in the photo is not where it will be when the linkage is hooked up and the return spring is in place.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #661 on: November 03, 2014, 12:16:35 PM »
A trip back East to visit relatives kept work on the black Mirage from getting accomplished but I did get to do something that I've always wanted to do-- visit the Shiloh battlefield where my great- grandfather was wounded (and later wounded again at Missionary Ridge). The beauty of that place (Shiloh means "a place of peace"-- from the Bible)  belies the human toll taken there on the 6th & 7th of April, 1862.

I've now done the plumbing for my front brakes and hooked up the remote reservoirs to the master cylinders. My first attempt at bending a hard line to the RF brake was simply junk. I thought about it and came up with a procedure to get the bends in the right place (and in the right direction!); the next attempts came out OK. The brake hard line is 3/16" steel tubing (the hydraulic clutch tubing is 1/4" steel), flared with a standard AN fitting 37 degrees. Using a decent flaring tool is important; mine is an Imperial- Eastman 437-FA. This is one place that a Harbor Freight tool is not a good choice.

My first tubing bender was a multi- size bender that did work OK but the problem was that it used the same large radius for bending every size tubing. A cheap Titan 51503 bender makes 1/8", 3/16", & 1/4" tubing with a smaller 7/8" radius bend. It costs about $20 on-line.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #662 on: November 03, 2014, 07:54:58 PM »
One way to bend brake line when tools will not fit or are not available is to heat the tube and fill the area of the bend with solder, bend the tube as best as you can, then heat it until the solder flows out and the empty tube remains.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #663 on: November 05, 2014, 09:24:53 PM »
As usual the work is impeccable Neil.

That's a neat job. :cheers: :cheers:

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #664 on: November 09, 2014, 07:13:49 PM »
I finally finished assembling my left front suspension. I disassembled everything and primed & painted the lower lateral control arm, fitted the ball joint rubber boots, applied Never-Seize to all the threaded joints and ball joint tapers, and then reassembled the whole thing. At the desired ride height I adjusted it to 7 degrees caster and 1 degree negative camber as a starting point. I may tweak it somewhat after driving it on- track. Performance Friction Carbon Metallic brake pads are also now installed.

The only thing to do now is to install 3 cotter pins; I don't have any in my stash- I usually use prevailing torque locknuts-- so I'll have to buy a handful when I'm in town. Now on to the right front suspension.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #665 on: November 09, 2014, 07:28:24 PM »
Neil, that's show winning quality.
It looks great. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #666 on: November 09, 2014, 07:44:57 PM »
Thanks, Mike-- no carbon fiber though.  :-D

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #667 on: November 09, 2014, 07:53:58 PM »
Cotter pins?  Hey, those are for sissies that don't stock the right stuff in the shop.  I prefer wire coat hangers - especially the heat-tempered ends left over from using 'em for stick welding. :cheers:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #668 on: November 09, 2014, 09:29:11 PM »
Cotter pins?  Hey, those are for sissies that don't stock the right stuff in the shop.  I prefer wire coat hangers - especially the heat-tempered ends left over from using 'em for stick welding. :cheers:

Slim, remind me to never ride your bike . . .
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #669 on: November 10, 2014, 12:23:45 AM »
Are you leaving the cast and wrought iron finishes naked and figure they are adequately corrosion resistant without coating?

Offline tauruck

« Reply #670 on: November 10, 2014, 10:53:38 AM »
Neil, when I saw this car I immediately thought of you. :cheers:

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #671 on: November 10, 2014, 11:04:55 AM »
I see why you thought that, Mike. Part race car, part BatCar  :cheers:

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #672 on: November 11, 2014, 10:52:14 AM »
Are you leaving the cast and wrought iron finishes naked and figure they are adequately corrosion resistant without coating?

WW;

No, I just didn't want to take the time to plate or paint the bare metal surfaces. BTW, the front uprights are forged steel. I'll spray them with a waxy coating after I'm finished; it should give it some level of protection.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #673 on: November 13, 2014, 07:22:08 PM »
Interesting time in the shop last evening-- found a 3 foot rattlesnake curled up next to the wall under a cart.  :-o

He had an attitude from tripping a mousetrap so there was a constant buzz from his rattles. After watching him for 10 minutes, he started looking like he was considering moving to somewhere else in the shop-- which I couldn't allow. Two shots from a Ruger Mark II .22 took care of the problem.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #674 on: November 13, 2014, 08:38:11 PM »
Neil, hope you were using shorts.... even a 22 can leave a divot in the floor  :-o

Had a friend that lived in the country, in a house on wheels... used to shoot mice from his recliner as they ran along the wall... hard on the trim, and occasionally needed to throw a piece of duct tape and caulking on the holes that went all the way through.  :-D
 :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O