Author Topic: Mid- Engine Modified Sports  (Read 784752 times)

Offline Speed Limit 1000

Re: Mid- Engine Modified Sports
« Reply #555 on: July 20, 2014, 11:44:46 PM »
Neil, You do realy nice work. :cheers:
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline tauruck

« Reply #556 on: July 21, 2014, 01:25:47 AM »
That's all top quality Neil. :cheers:

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #557 on: July 21, 2014, 03:42:33 PM »
I riveted the 10 lb fire bottle mount onto the bottom stressed panel. I again used NAS1919 blind rivets with A286 bodies & stems. The retaining bands are 3/4" wide stainless with T-bolt clamps. There will be a rubber cushion under the bands when they are tightened.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline tauruck

« Reply #558 on: July 22, 2014, 01:57:31 AM »
I want to work with/for Neil one day!!!!

You inspire me. :cheers:

Offline SteveM

« Reply #559 on: July 23, 2014, 10:14:11 AM »
I want to learn all the riveting techniques and technology.

When my own project is "done" - HA - I'll spend a lot more time reading the details of this thread and taking notes.

When someone from within any particular industry takes on a project, they often bring the "flavor" of their industry along.

All this rivet stuff, various grades of lightweight metals, and fabrication techniques are just plain fascinating.

I can't wait to see that Manta in person - great work on this job, Manta22.

So much to learn...

Steve.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline tauruck

« Reply #560 on: July 23, 2014, 11:45:48 AM »
You put it perfectly Steve.
Neil is the Man. :cheers:

Offline Kiwi Paul

« Reply #561 on: July 23, 2014, 03:30:50 PM »
Neil...Don`t forget that most of the Inspection crew are not as knowlegeable as you are on composite/rivet strengths. I am used to welded brackets and metal mounts. Make sure any pieces on the car that are a bit outside the common experience have strength comparisons to what is usual.....Some copied info inside your Log Book is your friend.....

Offline Finallygotit

« Reply #562 on: July 23, 2014, 03:55:51 PM »
Very good point!  Inundate them with data.
Dan
Tucson, AZ

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #563 on: July 23, 2014, 06:07:59 PM »
Thanks for that tip. I'll have data sheets & specs on those types of things in my log book.

It's amazing how strong the A286 and Monel blind rivets are-- their shear strength exceeds the steel hole that they are inserted in. FWIW, the shear strength of the hole is called "bearing strength".

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #564 on: July 23, 2014, 06:14:17 PM »
I retrieved my chassis from the sandblaster Monday and trailered it home. They did a better job on it than I had expected. I'm sure it wasn't easy getting into all the tube joints and angles. I set it up on a pair of metal sawhorses outside the shop in preparation for priming it with a two- part zinc chromate made by PTI. Fortunately the rain has held off for a few days so I can finish the painting. It's just beastly hot outside!

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #565 on: July 23, 2014, 06:20:15 PM »
I have the chassis primed and now I'm finishing spraying on the topcoat, a two- part polyurethane that I lucked into at a local surplus dealer. It's made by Deft and made for high- performance Navy aircraft. The color isn't what I would have chosen but it is what it is-- a lusterless "school bus yellow-orange". As you can see in the pictures, some zinc chromate is still showing; I'm taking a break now and will finish the topcoat later today.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #566 on: July 23, 2014, 10:24:44 PM »
After the last posting, I was really beat from the heat & humidity; it's our monsoon season here in the upper Sonoran Desert. After the heat of June & July the rising hot air convection brings up humid air from the South and we get high humidity and rain. Napped for an hour or so, drank four bottles of water and a diet Pepsi and resumed painting this afternoon. As I was almost finished, the sky turned dark with thunderstorms but, fortunately, they went around us. Rainstorms in the desert are like at Bonneville-- very localized.

As I'm typing this, it has started to rain. All the stuff is all put away except the engine hoist and the chassis. I think the polyurethane has cured enough that it won't get hurt by the rain.  :-P  I'll let it cure outside tomorrow to make sure the topcoat is fully hard before taking it into the shop and beginning to rivet panels, bolt on components, etc.

Joline is a little concerned about the overspray on the concrete but it should wash/wear off.  :roll:

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #567 on: July 23, 2014, 11:32:09 PM »
Neil, there is a certain well known Australian racing car with a yellow frame.  It is a proven performance enhancing color.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #568 on: July 24, 2014, 01:02:28 AM »
I think it's a great color.

I want my car painted that yellow (Lemon Chrome??).

You'll have luck with the yellow. :cheers:

I also got into trouble with over spray on the driveway.
SHE managed to get one of those big canvas sheets from a mobile billboard and it has served as a protector for years.
They give them away here. Maybe you could find one Neil.
The chassis looks great and you won't forget the conditions you worked in to get it done.
Painting a bunch of pipes is tough. You lose most of the paint. Nice job man. :cheers: :cheers:

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #569 on: July 24, 2014, 01:08:01 PM »
Excellent Neil! I really like the yellow.  :cheers:
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson