Author Topic: Mid- Engine Modified Sports  (Read 787805 times)

Offline jdincau

Re: Mid- Engine Modified Sports
« Reply #990 on: December 28, 2015, 07:09:02 PM »
Neil,
re helmet;
     I have used both a helmet skirt and a balaclava. I prefer the head sock because it keeps my ears from folding down when I pull on the helmet.

re injector;
     I prefer my MFI constant leak system over a carb. With Hillborn specifying pump sizing and nozzles all I could mess up was the bypass jet and they told me where to start with that.
Jim
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 07:17:03 PM by jdincau »
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #991 on: December 28, 2015, 09:10:37 PM »
Depending on your vehicle you may need to wear both. In my roadster I do. The problem is not foggy glasses or helmet shield but dust. I have forced air to the helmet at the side and comes in the helmet right under the eyes. I wear the skirt to keep the dust from coming up under my chin area and forming a cloud between my glasses and the helmet shield. I can alway see the finish line but with out both its tough to see the gauges I like  to glance at... Good Luck.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #992 on: December 29, 2015, 12:21:46 AM »
Neil, the injection is dead simple. It's way more simple than the carburetor and will come properly set up if you ordered it for your engine.

Pete

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #993 on: December 29, 2015, 03:23:23 AM »
Neil,

Mechanical fuel injection system are stone simple.   BUT, on timed injection, the fuel curve cam needs to be the proper one for your engine application.   If you gave Crower the all the correct info about your engine, then it is a matter of fine tuning only a few adjustments.

Did Crower ever produce any timed injection systems?    Or were they all constant flow?    Fine tuning differs between the 2 types.    It goes without saying that the components need to be properly sized for a particular application.

My understanding is that Crower sold the Fuel Injection Division to Ron's Racing back in 1990.   I'm unsure which systems are currently being serviced.

Sorry this isn't more helpful.

:cheers:
Fordboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #994 on: December 29, 2015, 11:02:19 AM »
Thanks for the replies. I know that the MFI is relatively simple in principle but there is more to it in practice- getting the pump mounted, pulleys aligned, shut-off valve installed & cable run to it, filters mounted & plumbed, return lines & bypass plumbed, etc. Carb is simpler but I intend to run it temporarily and then revert to MFI when the car is sorted out.

As far as I know Crower only produced constant-flow systems; Lucas was the most popular MFI back in the Can-Am heyday. I've dropped in on Ron's (here in Tucson) but they are less than helpful.

Dust is something I had not considered before. All good information on this forum!

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #995 on: December 29, 2015, 01:07:30 PM »
Neil, the big factor in choosing MFI, EFI, or carb might be the your expertise, the cost, availability, and convenience of the professional help you need to get the system working right.  Using my situation as an example, I am good with carbs and can do field repair and tuning.  No so with the injection systems.  Also, I get a discounted hourly rate for dyno work from a shop that has a lot of experience tuning race carbs, not much at EFI mapping, and no experience with MFI.  That mirrors my experience, too.  The EFI mapping work requires me to pay full rate at another shop and I am at a disadvantage if I have problems in the field.

The decision was easy.  It was to go with a system I know and can get good results with vs working with another system I most certainly will have problems with.  My son, Josef, is the opposite.  He knows EFI real well and carbs are sort of a mystery to him.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #996 on: December 29, 2015, 05:52:40 PM »
This afternoon I raised the car up on jackstands so that I can get under the chassis to finish the wiring to the starter & solenoid. While I was lying down on the floor I took a couple of pictures that show the stressed aluminum panels on the bottom of the chassis. Lotsa rivets- glad that's done! Whew!

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #997 on: December 29, 2015, 05:54:17 PM »
Photos:

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #998 on: December 29, 2015, 05:57:57 PM »
Two more-

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #999 on: December 29, 2015, 06:48:48 PM »
Neil,
Don't know what your color choice is but that black really makes it look "Darth Vader" mean.

Looking Good!!!!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1000 on: December 29, 2015, 07:30:07 PM »
Thanks, Rex. I think I'll keep the black gel coat. I kind of like the sinister look.

Offline ratpatrol66

« Reply #1001 on: December 29, 2015, 09:02:31 PM »
Sweet looking car!!!

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #1002 on: December 30, 2015, 05:21:14 AM »
Neil,

Luv the car and your quality standards of work.

Also luv the cleanliness and organization of your shop.

My garage still looks like a goat exploded in it.   Ah well, someday soon, I'm chippin' away at it.

Fordboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Finallygotit

« Reply #1003 on: December 30, 2015, 09:12:27 AM »

I was just going to say, it looks a lot different from the last time I was there Neil.

Dan
Tucson, AZ

Offline tauruck

« Reply #1004 on: January 03, 2016, 07:41:31 AM »
Neil,

Luv the car and your quality standards of work.

My garage still looks like a goat exploded in it.   Ah well, someday soon, I'm chippin' away at it.

Fordboy

Mark, I had a friend come by and help me tidy up my shop!!!!.

Since then I can't find S%$*t. :evil:
In all the chaos before I knew where everything was but now????? :-P