Author Topic: Mid- Engine Modified Sports  (Read 784788 times)

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
Re: Mid- Engine Modified Sports
« Reply #960 on: September 21, 2015, 12:56:58 PM »
I made splash shields for the three valve cover breathers that I installed last week. There was some leftover thin Inconel so I cut out pieces large enough to completely cover the breather holes and drilled clearance holes for the 10-32 socket head cap screws. The shields are mounted on stainless spacers so they are 5/8" above the inside surface of the valve covers. The screws are secured with green Loctite.

Don Newell recommended venting in the valley rather than the valve covers but I'll start with these and think about that recommendation for my next engine. His concern is that if a piston is holed, it will push oil out onto the headers and catch fire.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #961 on: September 21, 2015, 06:42:40 PM »
A small step this morning- I found two 8mm hex nuts that I didn't know I had and was then able to mount the clutch slave cylinder to the transaxle case. DJ Dafety called and they have finished re-certifying my firesuit. I also had them add a port for CoolShirt tubing.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #962 on: September 22, 2015, 10:02:30 PM »
My re-certified fire suit arrived this afternoon from DJ Safety. They replaced the arm restraints and added an opening for Cool Shirt tubing.

I decided to add a way to turn the main battery switch on & off from the cockpit as well as having the required external one. I used a threaded rod with a rod end bearing to connect to the actuating arm so I can push & pull the arm and control the battery switch. I found a small bushing and fastened it into a piece of aluminum angle. The knob is made from some surplus crap- painted red.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #963 on: September 23, 2015, 09:38:13 AM »
As always Neil. You do a great job!!!!!!. :cheers:

I'd really love to spend time with you.
That would be awesome. :wink:

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #964 on: September 30, 2015, 08:53:51 PM »
That would be fun, Mike!

While I had my firewall out I saw that the woven silica fabric looked frayed around the edges-- loose fibers hanging out, etc. looking ratty. Joline is a quilter so I took a page out of her book and put a "binding" around the edges to give it a finished look. Somewhere along the line I had obtained a roll of a strange 3M product- a polyester adhesive tape with a coating of metallic gold! Just to check to see if it was a real gold film I checked it with an ohmmeter.

I applied the tape around the edges of the firewall, wrapping it around front & back. Since gold has an extremely high reflectivity in the infrared, it shouldn't get too hot from header radiant heat.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #965 on: October 03, 2015, 03:58:32 PM »
The ignition wires I had ordered arrived the other day and I just installed them. They are Taylor "409" plug wires, so named because they are 0.409" diameter (10.4mm) - really big with nice end terminals. My Crane HI-6 specifies a particular plug wire resistance and this 409 wire set meets that spec. Dart recommended Autolite AR 3933 plugs so I bought a set at O'Reilleys for $3.99 ea. I'll start with this heat range and go hotter/colder as needed.

Anyone need 12 new spark plugs for a '60s era Ferrari?

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #966 on: October 03, 2015, 08:42:05 PM »
The fiberglass front body section is now attached securely. There are two 7/16" Ti bolts securing the nose to the chassis and I just finished bolting & riveting the driver's side rear panel. To increase the shear strength, I riveted an aluminum panel to the fiberglass and used a pattern of twelve 10-32 Ti screws through the aluminum & 'glass into two floating nut plates. These are prevailing torque nuts so no Loctite is needed to prevent loosening. I guess the "BACxxxx" stamped on them stands for "Boeing Aircraft Company" which accounts for their nice quality.
Tomorrow I'll attach the passenger's side.

Offline MattGuzzetta

« Reply #967 on: October 03, 2015, 08:50:21 PM »
Wow, neat stuff!  We used to hang out at Washington Hardware in Los Angeles to get our aircraft surplus parts. You must have a place in AZ similar?  If so where do you get such cool stuff makes me want to take a trip to your area to do some shopping?
Love your build. :-D
Matt Guzzetta

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #968 on: October 03, 2015, 09:06:45 PM »
Thanks, Matt. You're too late-- all the good surplus sources here in Tucson have dried up just like they have in CA. I may have even bought some of my stuff at Washington Hardware back in the day. Those were the days!

Offline tauruck

« Reply #969 on: October 04, 2015, 02:37:18 AM »
Nice work Neil. :wink:

gkabbt

« Reply #970 on: October 04, 2015, 07:45:44 AM »

About the aircraft surplus places, I used to go down to a place on, I think, Crenshaw Blvd. in Torrance.
It was near Wilfred Boutilier's Chevron Station and was called Airborne Sales. Really COOL stuff.
Dang, that was 45+ years ago! As the expression goes: Time files when you're having fun!
Thanks for dredging that long lost memory up!  :cheers:

Gregg

Offline jdincau

« Reply #971 on: October 04, 2015, 11:03:40 AM »
Cal Nelson Aviation on San Fernando road and Joe Factor sales on Victory Blvd. in Burbank, both had aircraft surplus parts by the ton
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #972 on: October 04, 2015, 01:55:54 PM »
Dem wuz da dayz!

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #973 on: October 04, 2015, 02:32:51 PM »
How about Pally surplus in Los Angeles,acres of cool stuff as well as North American aircraft surplus bye LAX.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline DND

« Reply #974 on: October 04, 2015, 10:05:52 PM »
We also had Arts Surplus in Van Nuys, I think Factors is still going run by his daughter