Author Topic: Mid- Engine Modified Sports  (Read 787823 times)

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
Re: Mid- Engine Modified Sports
« Reply #945 on: September 12, 2015, 05:10:55 PM »
I drilled & tapped 10-32 holes in the cover so that I can install oil baffles under each breather in a manner very similar to your first photo. Without baffles, oil would be streaming out of the vents' stainless steel screens. I agree that welding would be best but I think I can retain everything reliably with Loctite Bearing Retainer- the green high strength stuff.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #946 on: September 12, 2015, 11:40:14 PM »
Neil, are you using drain back screens in the valley? I like them on dry sumps but have got away them in the wet sump applications.
Just out of curiosity, why are you not running the dry sump pump and pan on this engine. The less expensive engine might be a great place to test your entire oiling system. I had done this because I designed and built my own dry sump tank and I had no idea if it was going to work. Actually still don't know. If it works because I haven't run it hard for 6,5 miles.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #947 on: September 13, 2015, 02:11:22 PM »
No, this engine has no oil drain back screens in the valley. My other dry sump engine does have them; it is out of a sprint car. This is just a mild engine to get the car sorted out; going dry sump on this one seemed an unnecessary complication for what I planed to do with it.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #948 on: September 13, 2015, 10:50:15 PM »
Well, I was wrong- this block has oil screens, too.

I wondered where all the oil was going as I was priming the oil pump so I removed the intake manifold to have a look. Evidently my oil pump drive adapter has a very poor fit into the distributor hole so the oil was being pumped up into the valley and when I turned off the drill, it drained back into the pan. The oil was accumulating in the valley because the oil was being pumped up faster than it could drain back. Now I'm satisfied that the oil system is OK so I bolted the intake back on.

I had forgotten about the screens but I'm glad they are there; if a needle bearing in a roller lifter disintegrates, the screens will keep most of the debris from draining back into the pan and getting sucked into the oil pump.

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #949 on: September 15, 2015, 07:08:46 AM »
Screens are always a good precaution.

You don't miss them until they are needed, and then it is too late . . . .

:cheers:
Fordboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #950 on: September 15, 2015, 03:48:48 PM »
Well, I was wrong- this block has oil screens, too.

I wondered where all the oil was going as I was priming the oil pump so I removed the intake manifold to have a look. Evidently my oil pump drive adapter has a very poor fit into the distributor hole so the oil was being pumped up into the valley and when I turned off the drill, it drained back into the pan. The oil was accumulating in the valley because the oil was being pumped up faster than it could drain back. Now I'm satisfied that the oil system is OK so I bolted the intake back on.

I had forgotten about the screens but I'm glad they are there; if a needle bearing in a roller lifter disintegrates, the screens will keep most of the debris from draining back into the pan and getting sucked into the oil pump.

If   lifter disintegrates you are likely to notice fairly promptly (still lot of damage but maybe not to the pump)> I my case it was tips off valve springs that by a very tortuous route including through some -6 drain lines from the lifter cover into the pan and then to the dry sump resulted in seized pump-in 2nd gear coming off the line at Bonneville.  I third the motion for screens all over in the drain passages.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #951 on: September 16, 2015, 01:53:09 PM »
Jack's experience with engine "shrapnel" getting all the way to the dry sump reservoir is the perfect argument for a return line filter, and I mean a real filter not some sort of screen. Large parts of engines that break off and get into the oil system very seldom do direct damage to the engine, they can certainly plug oil holes etc but they are to big to actually get into things like rod bearings, cam bearings or cylinder walls. They can and do make oil pumps fail and if you are lucky it is only a deformation of a couple of teeth in the pump so it will continue to pump but at compromised pressure and volume, usually a big piece of shrapnel will seize the pump and break the drive shaft or belt and at that point real $hit happens. A good return line filter is very cheap insurance for a $10,000++ engine. Ask Buddy Walker why he has one on the Flat Cad.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #952 on: September 16, 2015, 02:23:59 PM »
Rex;

I agree, but this is a wet sump engine.

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #953 on: September 16, 2015, 04:08:51 PM »
Neil,
You are correct, it really only works on dry sump applications.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #954 on: September 16, 2015, 04:34:34 PM »
I bought a  1 7/8" hole saw at Lowes and cut my right side valve cover to install an oil filler port. Using epoxy to retain it. Who or what "Matrix" is, I haven't a clue. These little tasks seem to have no end.  :x

Offline tauruck

« Reply #955 on: September 16, 2015, 05:49:53 PM »
There are no little tasks on these cars IMO. :-D

The BS just seems to pile up the further you get. :evil:

That Matrix looks good on there Neil. :cheers:

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #956 on: September 17, 2015, 10:23:35 AM »
Neil...That needs to be turned 180...It`s a "xirtam" :cheers:
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #957 on: September 17, 2015, 11:58:21 AM »
Good one!....instead of 710?    :-D

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #958 on: September 17, 2015, 12:02:27 PM »
Yes... :cheers:
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #959 on: September 17, 2015, 06:14:53 PM »
Just grind it (and the color) off.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records