Author Topic: Mid- Engine Modified Sports  (Read 787819 times)

Offline wobblywalrus

Re: Mid- Engine Modified Sports
« Reply #915 on: August 27, 2015, 12:19:43 AM »
Fit is a big deal, Neil, and worth more than saving a few $.  There is a Japanese company, I think it is Arai, that makes helmets for odd head shapes.  The bike shops will know.  That is a good brand to try on if none of the other brands fit well. 

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #916 on: August 27, 2015, 08:05:30 AM »
  I believe Summit has a showroom in Reno where you can try things on/out. The new spec for 2017 is SA2010, but Another spec will be out I believe in October. SA2015. The good news just keeps on a comin'.
     Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #917 on: August 27, 2015, 10:25:56 AM »
Nashville - I'm jealous.

Last time Kate and I went, we flew in to see George Jones at the Ryman Auditorium, because, for pity's sake, it's GEORGE JONES AT THE RYMAN AUDITORIUM!

Neil, for what it's worth, remember that the helmet needs to fit the CAR as well.

I seem to recall you wearing glasses.  I wear bifocals, so when you try on your helmet, try it in the car, and make sure the bucket doesn't place your head in a way where you can't see the gauges or down the track.  My helmet put my head in a position where I had a lens line in the middle of the horizon that just about drove me nuts.

I ordered up the optional tinted face shield.  You'll be staring almost straight into the sun on the backup run at 8:00 AM. 

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #918 on: August 27, 2015, 08:20:59 PM »
Thanks; I'm partial to Bell or Simpson but I'll have to try them on to see if they fit properly.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #919 on: August 27, 2015, 08:33:13 PM »
Good advice, Chris. Anything like a top air vent is completely out of the question; there simply isn't enough clearance and I don't like my head rattling up against the top roof panel. When I was taking flying lessons back in the olden days at the Babenhausen Aero Club, their glider canopy was so low that my head was firmly up against it. No fun. The Germans all got a kick out of it, though.

I visited the Ryman a few years ago when Joline and I were there on another visit. It reeks with history- all the old country stars performed there-- back when country was really country.

That reminds me-- have you seen a Clint Eastwood movie called "Honkey Tonk Man"? Another good one is "Tender Mercies" with Robert Duval.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #920 on: August 28, 2015, 01:30:14 AM »
The Simpson might be your best bet.  The other brand is made in China now and the one bought a few years back started to fall apart about a year after I bought it.

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #921 on: August 28, 2015, 08:57:50 AM »
I trust you`ve seen this?.... :cheers:
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #922 on: August 28, 2015, 07:24:27 PM »
Good one- thanks.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #923 on: August 31, 2015, 09:12:48 PM »
I think I may have spent more time in a helmet than most here.
Kinda like a day job from 78 to 87 and then again from 1996 to present
but not as much right now.

I used Bell and GPA in F2.

In 1996 I bought my first Simpson and I'm not knocking the other two
but I won't use anything else. Speed Way Shark T38 and I really tested it.
Long story but I'm still here. :-D.

I like the fit. Sometimes you feel like you're wearing a helmet, like it's there
and it's not hampering but with the Simpson I just seem to forget it's there.
Really worth looking at Neil. :cheers:

That old saying "if you've got a $10 head wear a $10 helmet.
I see guys using bike helmets that are suspect spec wise IMO while racing cars. Not a good idea.
Just my 2C.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #924 on: September 06, 2015, 07:56:46 PM »
I started to adjust the valve lash and noticed that the roller tip scrub pattern on the tops of the valves didn't look right. Sure enough, checking Dart's info on my heads, it says to use +.100" longer pushrods. I have those on order now. However, I just did one of the dumbest stunts that I've ever done...

Before I turned the crank around to look at valve lash, I thought I'd pre- lube the engine so I pulled out the distributor and put in a drill- operated shaft that turns the oil pump. To check oil pressure, I made up a short length of -4 line, found adapters to my gauge's 1/4" NPT and filled the wet sump with 4 1/2 quarts of oil. The engine is bolted up to the transaxle, out of the chassis, sitting flat on the wet-sump oil pan bottom, on a piece of corrugated cardboard on the shop floor.

I attached my variable-speed drill to the shaft and pulled the trigger while watching the oil pressure gauge. No oil pressure but it felt like the pump shaft was turning so I increased the RPM. Still no pressure so I ran the drill speed up-- no oil pressure but a big pool of oil was forming on the floor under the engine. I mean a BIG pool- like 3 quarts! WTF???  :?

I moved around to the other side of the engine, the driver's side, and it was immediately apparent why the oil was pumped out onto the floor. The dopey guy operating the drill (me) had forgotten to screw on an oil filter! Duh!  :x  Now I'm cleaning up the mess. How dumb can you get?

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ   :roll:

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #925 on: September 06, 2015, 08:51:11 PM »
Well, half a roll of paper towels later, Joline came home from a trip to town and mentioned that there was a pail of Kitty Litter out in the garage. I carried it over to the shop and put some on the oil; I'll let it absorb overnight. Arrrggghhh.

Offline salt27

« Reply #926 on: September 06, 2015, 09:22:44 PM »
Neil,
      You are not alone, I remembered the oil filter but forgot to hook up the oil pressure gauge.

It made a beautiful geyser all over the new paint job.    :oops:

Don

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #927 on: September 06, 2015, 09:31:03 PM »
We could start a club.  :roll: Wayno

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #928 on: September 07, 2015, 01:06:44 AM »
The only way to not screw up is to not do anything.

We've all been there one way or another Neil.

Pete

Offline DND

« Reply #929 on: September 07, 2015, 02:07:06 AM »
Remember way back when some guys little light came on and he made up a Flight List !!!

Ain't nothing like paper - pencil and a note pad  ' Priceless '