Author Topic: Mid- Engine Modified Sports  (Read 786919 times)

Offline tauruck

Re: Mid- Engine Modified Sports
« Reply #855 on: June 22, 2015, 10:23:16 PM »
Yup, just like the idiots here in SA that hang out with the White Sharks. :evil:

Hope you enjoyed the trip. You deserved a break.

The car looks great. :cheers:

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #856 on: June 22, 2015, 10:41:28 PM »
I guess that's why they call water skiing in SA "trolling for sharks."  :-D

A photo from Glacier Bay:

Regards, Neil Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline tauruck

« Reply #857 on: June 22, 2015, 11:14:34 PM »
Thanks Neil. :cheers:

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #858 on: June 28, 2015, 01:15:06 AM »
I cut out a panel to seal the air flow out of my radiator so that the hot air goes up out of the vent above the nose instead of out the bottom, disrupting the under-car flow. The plastic is what the circle track guys use, a high density polyethylene (HDPE). It is 1/8" thick and pretty tough but reasonably flexible. Cheap, too!

The strange brass-colored things are "cylindrical Clecos" which screw up to make a tight fit but still have a long reach. They will all be replaced with 3/16" Avex rivets.

Regards, Neil Tucson, AZ

Offline Kiwi Paul

« Reply #859 on: June 28, 2015, 01:18:20 AM »
Neil---I have never seen those type of Clecos. Are they available at Aircraft Spruce? Any close up pics as to how they work? I think I understand your explanation of their workings, but there may be a Language Barrier.... :-D :-D...

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #860 on: June 28, 2015, 01:40:37 AM »
Neil---I have never seen those type of Clecos. Are they available at Aircraft Spruce? Any close up pics as to how they work? I think I understand your explanation of their workings, but there may be a Language Barrier.... :-D :-D...

KP;

I think you'll have to find them on eBay. New, they are expensive but you can find bargains now & then because few people know what they are. I have not seen then at Aircraft Spruce.

Instead of a spring to pull the prongs up, these use a screw thread on a shaft that projects out of the top of the cylindrical body. A round tool is used to install or remove them. There is a one-way sprag in the center of the installation tool that acts like a ratchet. You slip the tool over the top of the shaft and turn the screw up or down. These Clecos can generate much more force than the small spring types. I've seen them in common rivet sizes and even up to 1/4" diameter. I also have an air tool that can install or remove cylindrical Clecos but I seldom bother with it on small jobs. Does this make sense?

Regards, Neil Tucson, AZ

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #861 on: June 28, 2015, 01:44:08 AM »

Offline Kiwi Paul

« Reply #862 on: June 28, 2015, 08:28:52 PM »
Thanks, Neil.....Always Learning, I am..... :-D

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #863 on: June 29, 2015, 01:41:01 AM »
We all are, KP.

Regards, Neil   Tucson, AZ

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #864 on: July 07, 2015, 09:03:56 PM »
I finished plumbing the fire extinguisher system, both for the cockpit and for the engine bay. I used 1/4" 3003 aluminum tubing- what a joy to work with compared to steel brake line! It forms easily and flares nicely.

In the cockpit the tubing runs under the instrument panel so I added some braided sleeving to make sure nothing could make accidental contact with a hot 12 volt terminal. I did the same thing where the tubing runs by an external charging/battery connector. Shrink tubing over the cut ends of the braided sleeve keep it in place and add a nice cosmetic touch.

I'll show a couple of pictures.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #865 on: July 07, 2015, 09:33:42 PM »
I like the braided sleeve with the shrink tubing. Good job Neil!  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Pete

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #866 on: July 07, 2015, 09:39:46 PM »
I wish I had your patience - the attention to detail - again - second to none.  :cheers:
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #867 on: July 07, 2015, 09:40:45 PM »
Thanks, Pete. The pictures make it look like it is flexible tubing but the fire bottle plumbing is all hard line.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #868 on: July 07, 2015, 09:48:10 PM »
Very nice!   :cheers:

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #869 on: July 07, 2015, 09:50:54 PM »
I wish I had your patience - the attention to detail - again - second to none.  :cheers:

Actually Chris, I was looking for something else when I found a roll of braided nylon sleeving that I had forgotten about. The idea to put it over the hard line just popped into my head and I cut off a length of the stuff with scissors and it fit over the aluminum tubing just fine. The ends of the sleeve always look frayed unless they are tied with lacing cord or retained by a short length of shrink tubing.

Things like this only take a minute or so but, like de-burring holes, rounding off sharp edges, etc., make the finished product look better. I've sliced enough skin off to appreciate the time it takes to break sharp edges and corners- so it isn't just a cosmetic effort.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ