Author Topic: Mid- Engine Modified Sports  (Read 784745 times)

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
Re: Mid- Engine Modified Sports
« Reply #810 on: May 18, 2015, 04:53:11 PM »
I suppose I could put a worm drive clamp over the Power Grip sleeve if I absolutely had to.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #811 on: May 19, 2015, 05:58:23 AM »
Thanks for the welcome, Ive added my location as you requested.

STRANGE.....the Audi Advertiser Link is for a website in UK (England)...but the address listed says NY in the states....just around the corner.....thinking :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline Finallygotit

« Reply #812 on: May 19, 2015, 03:19:17 PM »
I suppose I could put a worm drive clamp over the Power Grip sleeve if I absolutely had to.

Neil, you have to.
Dan
Tucson, AZ

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #813 on: May 19, 2015, 04:17:57 PM »
Yeah, I know... I will do it. Grumble, grumble.... :-P

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #814 on: May 19, 2015, 04:28:58 PM »
I mounted a brake proportioning control valve this morning. Maybe I can even out the F & R braking effort on salt, maybe not-- we'll see. The main high speed braking will be from a 'chute but I'd like to have a back-up. On the X-Mile events the brakes should be very effective but I'll use the 'chute as required.

I'd prefer to mount this control where it would be accessible from the cockpit but there was no good place for it without interfering with a quick bail- out. I don't want my fire suit catching on this knob (or anything else).

I drilled 1/4" holes in the side pod top panel and put in four 10-32 UNF stainless steel Rivnuts for the Phillips head titanium screws. The neat aluminum bracket was a piece of aircraft surplus that I bought a long time ago with the idea that it would be useful some day.

Offline jdincau

« Reply #815 on: May 19, 2015, 06:45:36 PM »
Yeah, I know... I will do it. Grumble, grumble.... :-P

Neil,
     Have a talk with the head inspector re the hose clamps. When we first started using Aeroquip blue hose with the push on fittings some inspectors were adamant that since it wasn't the familiar braided hose type screw on end we would have to use hose clamps on them. When I showed them Aeroquip's rated and burst strength numbers for the hose assembly along with the instruction manual saying that the use of hose clamps was not recommended they were allowed.
Jim
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #816 on: May 19, 2015, 08:34:46 PM »
Thanks, Jim. I'll bring along Gates' info on those Power Grip clamps for my log book.

I did get a 3/16" line run partway back to my rear brake calipers. I'm using ANxxx cushioned clamps to secure the lines to the chassis so they don't vibrate too much.

Offline JonAmo

« Reply #817 on: May 19, 2015, 08:35:36 PM »
Great thread Neil and excellent work using the SB Clamp.

These are just as good as any type of steel band clamp (of the many out there). There are many advantages to using a SB Clamp and only a few disadvantages.

What makes a metal clamp any safer then a SB Clamp? That is the question that needs to be asked? OEM's have been using this SB Clamp (different variation for OE than the aftermarket version) for many year in the harshest environment of any vehicle, Medium and Heavy Duty Vehicles. Volvo, Freightliner, Mercedes, International etc. etc.

Jon

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #818 on: May 19, 2015, 08:53:59 PM »
You can ask for a "Rule Deviation" see section 1.R in your rule book.

Bringing technical data to tech/safety inspection is NOT a good idea. The tech inspector has a line of cars and a list of items (see the SCTA website for the inspection form) on the inspection form that he goes down. If it doesn't meet the form you CAN be kept from running. The Chief tech inspector can put a note in your log book if there's time for him to review the data but just because it's better doesn't always fly. Remember the tech inspector is only going down a check list.
The example Jdincau used is a case in point. Many people, myself included, use Parker push-on hose. The tech inspector has no way of knowing if it's the correct hose or not. So no hose clamp no racing. Unless you can show a note in your log book allowing said "Deviation"

Not trying to be a jerk, just pointing out the issues.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline JonAmo

« Reply #819 on: May 19, 2015, 09:03:21 PM »
Hi Neil

Use good old metal clamps that work, don't need no plastic in that place

Let someone else be a pioneer as they get arrows in the fanny

That's all you need is some hot water on your rear tires at 200 , bad deal and could make for a real bad day too

G Don

G Don,

Your concerns are well taken. I am curious on why you would think they would not work causing "Hot water on rear tires at 200" issues? I am not implying anything is better or worse, I just want to convey the correct information, technical information and installation information for the correct way to use the SB Clamps.

Have you had the opportunity to use these type of clamps?

Jon

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #820 on: May 20, 2015, 08:11:24 PM »
More progress today- got the hydraulic clutch line plumbed from the master cylinder to an AN fitting mounted on a tab adjacent to the transaxle. I'll use a flex hose from there to the clutch slave cylinder to allow for some vibration. I used 1/4" steel brake line tubing and AN4 fittings.

I also cut out an access port on the right side pod fiberglass to allow inspection of the firebottle sticker. I used a surplus aluminum inspection plate from an unidentified aircraft. It looks like it will work OK.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #821 on: May 21, 2015, 03:36:09 AM »
Neil, using the typical worm drive clamp over your sleeve can make it leak.  Note that on the typical worm drive clamp there is a spot on the circumference that is solid and does not flex and conform to part being clamped.  There is some uneven pressure applied to the sleeve when the worm drive clamp is tightened down.  This can cause enough distortion in the sleeve to make it leak.  The best solution is to avoid the metal clamp.  Although, if that cannot be done, there are metal hose clamp types that do not distort the hose when tightened down.  The ones I use are made from wire and are tightened by a screw and nut that are alongside the clamp.  The crew is tightened and it pulls the wire loop tighter around the hose without distortion.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #822 on: May 21, 2015, 12:17:27 PM »
WW;

I had the same thought-- a worm drive clamp over a shrink collar might not cause leaks if it was not tightened. I plan to just snug it up-- the rule book does require metal clamps but it doesn't say how tight they need to be.

Actually, requesting a Deviation seems to be the best approach. Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #823 on: May 27, 2015, 08:01:45 PM »
All the brake line is now plumbed as is the hydraulic clutch line. I used terne plated steel Bundy tubing- 3/16" brake & 1/4" clutch.

I installed a set of Performance Friction Carbon Metallic brake pads this afternoon. The big rear calipers & rotors are from a Porsche 928 S4 front brakes.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #824 on: May 28, 2015, 01:29:22 AM »
Neil, my opinion is that you're not into the LSR like you say.

I see the Mulsanne straight in my minds eye. :-D :-D :-D :-D

If you need a co-driver I can handle endurance and I fit any car.

I know those calipers very well and they will stop just about anything.

Jokes aside, I wish I lived closer.
You're way ahead of anything I've seen here in a while.
Skunk Works on roids. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: