Author Topic: Mid- Engine Modified Sports  (Read 784868 times)

Offline tauruck

Re: Mid- Engine Modified Sports
« Reply #615 on: August 15, 2014, 11:48:20 AM »
I honestly believe you won't have aero problems.

Have you had a good look at that car???? :cheers:

Neil, nothing in the post yet but TIA (this is Africa). :-D

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #616 on: August 15, 2014, 01:59:23 PM »
Thanks; I think the black color emphasizes its sinister look. Here's what it looks like head- on.

I towed it up to Bonneville with hope of having the tech inspectors take a look and point out any problem they found. Two inspectors did take a quick look and suggested that I send pictures to the SCTA so they can answer a question about my rear tire clearance in the rear wheel well. I just e-mailed Jon Meyer about this.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Your racecar awaits, Lord Vader"
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #617 on: August 15, 2014, 04:19:02 PM »
Now if I can find my light saber....  :-D

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #618 on: August 30, 2014, 07:47:48 PM »
I've pulled the front body section off so I can begin finishing up a few things underneath. I made a template out of poster paper and now I am using that to make an aluminum panel that fits on the front bulkhead, under the steering rack, master cylinders, and reservoirs. Between a plasma cutter, nibbler, die grinder, drill press, and a file, it's easy (hah!).

I'm going to wait until I have most of the aluminum panels made before I break out the spray gun with epoxy zinc chromate primer.

I got a thumbs-down on my first idea of how to add some rear funder clearance to the wheel arch so it's off to Plan B.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #619 on: September 05, 2014, 09:51:24 PM »
Here is where my radiator is mounted. The coolant flows from the mid- mounted engine through thinwall stainless tubes up to the nose. The radiator is bolted through small vibration mounts to the nose support structure; I'm trying to minimize the chance of fatigue cracking in the Howe aluminum radiator.

"Sorry! There is already an attachment with the same filename as the one you tried to upload. Please rename the file and try again. "

"You already submitted this post! You might have accidently double clicked, or tried to refresh."

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #620 on: September 05, 2014, 10:05:22 PM »
Let's hope this works.

I've started fabricating the aluminum panels that will "enclose" the chassis. This is the one on the front bulkhead. Since it isn't a stressed panel to a large degree, I'm using 0.040" 6061-T6. The subsequent panels will be 7075-T6 for strength. To form the odd- shaped holes, I drilled a 1/8" hole and enlarged it to 1/2" with a step drill. Using that hole, I inserted a pneumatic nibbler and cut out the hole to size. Final smoothing was done with a Dremel tool and a 1/4" rotary file.

A 12" long #30 drill made it possible to drill the necessary holes in places where I would otherwise have needed to remove more parts to gain access.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #621 on: September 06, 2014, 12:09:11 AM »
As always, you do such neat work.

:cheers: :cheers:

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #622 on: September 06, 2014, 01:41:06 AM »
My bike has all sorts of different coatings on it.  The zinc chromate epoxy primer with a good topcoat is working the best.  It is a good choice.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #623 on: September 27, 2014, 02:06:03 PM »
In addition to the front bulkhead, I've made two more aluminum panels- these are for the L & R side of the chassis. They were scuffed up with an orbital sander, cleaned with water & Dawn dishwashing detergent, then rinsed and dried before getting a coat of two- part epoxy zinc chromate primer. After they were tack- free I laid them out in the sun to fully cure. Two- part epoxy primer is a hard coating that offers good protection against corrosion.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #624 on: September 27, 2014, 02:23:23 PM »
I added the required toe pullback to my accelerator pedal before priming it and the brake & clutch pedals with SEM Promax gray enamel primer. The pedals were cleaned with a phosphoric acid solution, then rinsed and dried first. The topcoat is Rust-Oleum Professional High Performance Enamel from a spray can. I like it-- it gives a nice hard, glossy finish.

After thoroughly drying the paint, I cut strips of 3M non- slip and applied it to the pedals to assure a good grip on my shoe soles.

I bought a piece of it at Home Depot (it is in the paint department- intended for stair steps) and scored it on the backside with a sharp utility knife. Bending it forward on the scored line breaks it cleanly. The backing paper is carefully peeled off and the stuff is stuck to the pedal. The adhesive seems to give a nice, aggressive bond.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 02:27:45 PM by manta22 »

Offline tauruck

« Reply #625 on: September 27, 2014, 10:36:03 PM »
The pedals look great Neil.
The 3M product is on for life believe me. :cheers:

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #626 on: October 04, 2014, 09:31:48 PM »
I finally got my brake & clutch master cylinders mounted on the front bulkhead. They are both AFCO aluminum "Torpedo" master cylinders; a nice compact design intended for a remote reservoir. They are hard to find for some reason. I needed to mount them about 1/2" behind the square tube of the bulkhead so I made a 1/8" steel sub-mount plate (red in the photo) for each one and bolted each m/c to the plates. The plates are then held in place with 302 stainless 1/4-28 bolts and "jet nuts". The bolts have nice twelve-point heads and they came in a package with a GE part number so I guess they were used on their jet engines somewhere.

The nylon fittings that go to the reservoirs are Parker Nylo-Seal; the outlets use #3 AN banjo fittings.

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #627 on: October 04, 2014, 10:26:18 PM »
Very nice Neil.
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #628 on: October 05, 2014, 11:53:19 AM »
SO WHERE IS THE RESERVOIR GOING TO BE MOUNTED??
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #629 on: October 05, 2014, 01:00:14 PM »
Glen;

I'm using a separate reservoir for each m/c. They are mounted on the front bulkhead above the steering rack and anti-roll bar. Here is a picture I took before the aluminum panel was installed.