Author Topic: Mid- Engine Modified Sports  (Read 788036 times)

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
Re: Mid- Engine Modified Sports
« Reply #420 on: September 10, 2013, 09:34:50 AM »
Neil, Your workmanship is soooo amazing! I cant wait to see this car on the salt.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #421 on: September 10, 2013, 11:20:59 AM »
Pretty trick stuff Neil!  :cheers: That thing is awesome, keep up the good work!
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #422 on: October 01, 2013, 09:17:10 PM »
Not much to report, but I did get a couple of blind nut plates riveted to the inside of the fiberglass nose of my black Mirage. Normally the nose is held in place by a 3/8” bolt running through a welded-in bushing in the support tube structure and then through a hole in the fiberglass. A washer and nut then are added and it takes two people to tighten it—one with a wrench on the bolt head inside the nose opening and the other person turning a ratchet on the nut inside the fender. It’s so far into the front of the nose that one person can’t reach both at the same time.

I wanted to eliminate the need to hold a nut on the inside of the fender so I found a couple of 7/16-20 floating nut plates in my stash and used them to provide a threaded nut inside the fender. I drilled the steel bushing out to 7/16” and the original hole in the fiberglass to 1/2” to allow the bolt to float a bit to line up the holes. I then riveted the nut plate onto inside of the fiberglass fender panel.

I had planned on installing a Rivnut in the fiberglass panel but they are hard to find in sizes over 3/8”; besides they would not have allowed any lateral float so the holes would have had to be far more accurately located. This nut plate is also a “prevailing torque” type so it will not come loose under vibration.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Freud

« Reply #423 on: October 01, 2013, 11:02:58 PM »
Easier to see.
Since '63

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
Mid- Engine Modified Sports
« Reply #424 on: October 26, 2013, 10:07:19 AM »
Neil ,
I could only imagine what you would come up with if you built a Streamliner or Lakester. I bet that it would be completely awesome. You are truly gifted!
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #425 on: October 26, 2013, 12:44:05 PM »
Wow- it's going to be hard to live up to those expectations!

Seriously-- thanks. This is a fun project and I'm looking forward to driving it, whatever speed it achieves.

A small displacement streamliner would be an interesting thing to try but I'm afraid that it would be "a bridge too far."

Regards, Neil   Tucson, AZ

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #426 on: November 02, 2013, 08:34:01 PM »
I’ve stripped my black Mirage down to the bare chassis to finish welding everything so I had an opportunity to weigh it by hanging it from an engine hoist. The steel tube chassis is 400 lbs, as close as I could read the scale. This includes the steel tube chassis and full roll cage plus the gear shift mechanism. Stressed aluminum panels will add a few more pounds when the chassis is finished and painted. Not exactly a road-race weight but it is what it is to meet the SCTA rule book.

Unfortunately I blew out the diaphragm in my oxygen regulator so I can’t do any more welding until the repair kit I just ordered arrives.
As Miss Emily Latella used to say on Saturday Night Live—“It’s always something!”.  :cry:

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #427 on: November 03, 2013, 01:51:57 PM »
I previously posted the weight of my black Mirage bare chassis as 400 lbs but I overlooked a few things that were still in the chassis. I removed those and re-weighed the bare chassis, which includes a full roll cage. The weight is 359 lbs.

I also weighed a few odds & ends: 

Left side stainless steel coolant tubing plus silicone hose connectors and T-bolt clamps: 8 lbs.

Right side stainless steel coolant tubing plus silicone hose connectors and T-bolt clamps: 8 lbs (estimated-not finished yet).

The total so far is 1804 lbs but some aluminum panels, gussets, etc. will bump this up a bit.

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #428 on: November 13, 2013, 09:00:44 PM »
Neil, have you made any progress lately?
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #429 on: November 14, 2013, 07:00:16 PM »
My main accomplishment has been to blow out the diaphragm in my O2 regulator.  :-P 

I had the torch tip in a restricted area and the flame blew out and it flashed back. During the downtime I've been getting both my tanks refilled and making gussets and doubler plates so when I got my torch back in operation I'd be ready to weld those on.

I got a deal on a Harris Radnor O2 regulator this afternoon at a welding shop in town so now I should be welding up a storm tomorrow.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #430 on: December 07, 2013, 03:48:30 PM »
Problems, problems. The el cheapo engine hoist that I bought at Costco a few years ago worked fine until last week when it refused to lift anything. Apparently the hydraulic ram went bad-- probably an internal seal. I tried the usual things-- nothing worked, so I needed to replace it. I found a replacement 8 ton long-stroke hydraulic ram at Harbor Freight and it was a perfect replacement. So I'm back up and welding again. A trip to Nashville for Thanksgiving hasn't helped my progress but it made Joline happy--- something very important!  :-D

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #431 on: December 07, 2013, 04:17:08 PM »
Glad to see you back in production mode. We are looking forward to some pics.
Btw, I just finished Mark Donahue's book titled "Unfair Advantage". I learned a lot about Can-Am series and the cars of the era. I'm a bigger fan if these cars because of it. I really enjoyed the read.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #432 on: December 07, 2013, 06:45:10 PM »
Replacing an item with a Harbor Freight thing may be problematic, Neil.  But I'm figuring that we may outlive their usefulness at our age. 

They take great pride in their product.  I bought a jack there a couple of years ago.  Asked if I wanted to buy an extended warranty for it.
"For how long?"
"One year."
"How long is the regular warranty?"
"Thirty days"

I guessed that I would, at the most, only use it once every 30 days, so, no.  So far, I think I'm ahead of them.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #433 on: December 07, 2013, 06:47:02 PM »
Yes, the Can-Am Series was unique and exciting. Yesterday, surfing the internet, I was sad to find that Bob Peckham, the owner/driver of the McLaren M8C that I crewed for died back in 2009.

Photos will be forthcoming!

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #434 on: December 07, 2013, 06:49:06 PM »
...but for $59.99 and no shipping cost it will last long enough to be a bargain.