Author Topic: Mid- Engine Modified Sports  (Read 788011 times)

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
Re: Mid- Engine Modified Sports
« Reply #405 on: September 05, 2013, 09:54:07 PM »
Aaarrrggghhhh...............................
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #406 on: September 07, 2013, 01:14:47 PM »
Here is my new ball bearing pilot:

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #407 on: September 07, 2013, 01:26:06 PM »
I sure wish more things said "USA" where they say "CHINA".  :| :| :cry: :cry:

Pete

Offline Freud

« Reply #408 on: September 07, 2013, 01:31:11 PM »
That's Yankee ingenuity.

F8 Ford     Good Job

Ya gotta be old to know that one.

Like 1953 Ford advertising.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Freud

« Reply #409 on: September 07, 2013, 01:33:47 PM »
I think I am wrong.

I believe the ad was  F8 Ford  BIG JOB.

It was about their trucks.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #410 on: September 07, 2013, 02:38:16 PM »
I sure wish more things said "USA" where they say "CHINA".  :| :| :cry: :cry:

Pete

Yeah, me too. I'd rather have one made by Timken but they don't make one in this odd 15x43mm size.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #411 on: September 07, 2013, 02:54:40 PM »
I sure wish more things said "USA" where they say "CHINA".  :| :| :cry: :cry:

Pete

Yeah, me too. I'd rather have one made by Timken but they don't make one in this odd 15x43mm size.

Neil, I doubt anybody will ever accuse you of bringing a knife to a gunfight.

I tend to agree with our Canadian friend - but regardless of the part's country of origin, the ingenuity remains American.

And clearly a case of overkill American ingenuity!  :cheers:

« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 02:58:15 PM by Milwaukee Midget »
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #412 on: September 07, 2013, 09:17:44 PM »
My KEP flywheel is now bolted to the SBC crankshaft with Loctite and 60 lb-ft of torque. The 240mm Sachs clutch disk was centered using a Craftsman set that I bought years ago and last used to assemble a clutch to my Ferrari engine flywheel (128F—long gone); fortunately the bushings included in that set fit the metric stuff that I need in both cases. (photo)

The KEP stage II pressure plate was bolted to the flywheel with the 8mm socket head cap screws provided by KEP. Reassuringly, they are grade 12.9. Loctite and 29ft-lbs evenly applied to the 9 bolts drew up the fingers of the clutch diaphragm. The Porsche G50 throwout bearing is different than most—it is a pull-type to release the pressure on the clutch disk.

Pressure plate  G50 Throwout Bearing (photo)

Porsche made a bad mistake by using caged needle bearings on the G50 clutch release lever pivot. In this application the bearing does not fully rotate on the shaft so it eventually begins fretting and finally failing. Here is a bad needle bearing (photo)

Offline JimL

« Reply #413 on: September 07, 2013, 09:19:34 PM »
Maybe dont loctite that bearing in?  We used similar bearing in Land Cruisers, long ago.  They get pounded a little by the rock in the input shaft when not in direct drive (countershaft side load effect).  Once the balls start flat spotting, the pilot bearing sticks.  The input shaft tries to spin in the inner race, which welds itself.  After the balls break up, you can drive for years.

When its time to get the trans out, you use big pry bars to get the trans(and every thing its now stuck to) out of the crankshaft just far enough to reach in and cut the center out of the disc...or just cut the input shaft off.  The center of the pilot bearing will not come out through the clutch disc broach.  In your case, you would be able to get the trans off if you can reach the pressure plate bolts.

On the Cruisers, due to wrap around bell housing type, I finally made it the rule to cut the input shaft.  It was easier to put out only one fire, under the car, than three or four while I tried to cut all the webs in the disc!  I still have scars from gobs of flaming grease falling on my arms.  Ahhh, to be young and foolish again.

It all made me understand why GM was smart to use a plain old bushing. :|

JimL

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #414 on: September 07, 2013, 09:23:07 PM »
G50 Needle Bearing

The original had two bearings like that and it created lots of problems for Porsche owners but a $$ income for the repair shops. The original:

G50 Original Porsche Pivot with Needle Bearings  

Original Porsche cross-shaft: (photo)

The cure is to do away with the needle bearings altogether.

G50 Revised Clutch Pivot:  (photo)

In the G50 case “ears”, I’m using Fabroid bushings. The shaft itself does not rotate—it is pinned to the case so there is no reason to get fancy here.

G50 case ear with Fabroid Bushing (photo)

So far, so good, as the guy said as he fell past the 10th floor window...

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #415 on: September 07, 2013, 09:28:54 PM »
JimL

The pilot bearing should have very little use in my application (far less than a Land Cruiser, especially off-road) so I think I'll be OK with a ball bearing TO bearing. If not, you can say "I told you so" and I'll buy you a beer.  :-D

Offline JimL

« Reply #416 on: September 08, 2013, 12:01:17 AM »
We should both live so long, as they say!  I have no idea why I thought you Or me should worry about it. :?

Thats the trouble with a lifetime of memories....
....we are stuck with a lifetime of memories that we keep applying to a new day.

Regards, JimL

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #417 on: September 09, 2013, 08:41:28 PM »
Placing a Porsche G50 transaxle in an inverted position requires that the former drain plug become the case vent and vice-versa. I reworked the original drain plug by drilling the plug through and knocking out the small magnet. Then I tapped the hole with a 7/16-20 tap for a #4 AN fitting.

The nice thing about this vent method is that the 10mm hex wrench can still be used to unscrew the vent plug from the case; the hex is threaded only partially—below that the hole is fully threaded.

I cut off the extended portion of the original vent and filled the openings with JB Weld epoxy to seal the openings.

No special fittings were required since the original Porsche fittings were simply modified for their new purpose.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 08:44:52 PM by manta22 »

Offline Geo

« Reply #418 on: September 09, 2013, 10:38:58 PM »
Neil,

Love the car and build. Exciting to see all the exotic metal and pieces. Do you have a total weight yet? How will you set the oil level in the inverted transaxle?

Geo

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #419 on: September 09, 2013, 11:04:15 PM »
Thanks, Geo. It is slowly going together. so far it looks like I have a total of 1779 lbs but there will be some additional odds & ends that may add another 100 lbs. This is dry weight.

I'll just add the recommended volume of gear lube; that should be about right for inverted too.