Author Topic: Mid- Engine Modified Sports  (Read 787234 times)

Offline gray63

Re: Mid- Engine Modified Sports
« Reply #390 on: August 19, 2013, 07:59:23 AM »
Neil,
Thanks for stopping by to visit at Bonneville. It is always good
to visit with friends that we only see one time a year.
I am anxious (as others) to see your amazing creation when completed.

Regards,  Dave Gray
# 3611 56 Corvette

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #391 on: August 19, 2013, 10:34:03 AM »
Thanks, Dave-- it was my pleasure. Glad to see you cracked 200 mph!

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #392 on: August 19, 2013, 07:40:12 PM »
This afternoon I lifted the whole remaining thing up in the air to get its weight. I used an engine hoist to lift it and a Dillon dynamometer to read the weight. The term “Dynamometer” isn’t what we’re used to- it is a weight scale. Why it is called that I don’t know!

The bare chassis and roll cage together with the dash panel & instruments plus the engine (Donovan aluminum 383 with Crower injection) and a Porsche G50 transaxle and shifter weighed 925 lbs.

Flywheel (KEP)= 14 lbs
Pressure plate (KEP)= 14 lbs
Clutch disc= 4 lbs

This brings the total weight up to 1779 lbs. There will be some additional weight added from stressed aluminum panels, etc. but probably not too much more.

When the engine & tranny are pulled, I’ll get their individual weights.

Now I have a pretty good idea of what things weigh.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #393 on: August 21, 2013, 03:18:08 PM »
Yesterday afternoon I removed the engine & tranny from my black Mirage. It was a 1-man job since I designed the chassis so that the engine & transaxle could be removed as one piece by removing 8 bolts (as well as axle CV joint bolts, hoses & wiring, of course). I used an engine hoist to lift it straight up and out of the chassis. I’ll now install the flywheel and clutch assembly but I’ll weigh the individual pieces before re-assembling the power train.

I removed the IMI mini-starter and found that it weighs 7 lbs.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #394 on: August 24, 2013, 08:37:45 PM »
I removed the transaxle and engine support cradle today. Together with the mounted components- ignition box, coil, and parachute attachment hardware, it weighs 24 lbs.

This stuff was included in the engine & transaxle total weight that I already posted.

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #395 on: August 25, 2013, 07:28:06 AM »
Neil, it was great to finally meet you, and put a face to a name! :cheers:

Wow! That car is really light!

I really want to see it, as I LOVE the look of it!
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #396 on: August 25, 2013, 11:55:15 AM »
Likewise! Your car is impressive and it is actually running:-)

I look forward to seeing you at Bonneville next year.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #397 on: August 26, 2013, 03:19:47 PM »
I just separated the engine and transaxle this morning and put the tranny on a scale. Here is that data:

Porsche G50 transaxle plus hydraulic clutch slave cylinder, KEP aluminum adapter, and rear aluminum support bracket= 157 lbs.

This is a bit more than what I've seen published for a G50 (143 lbs & 146 lbs) but the adapter plate and rear support bracket probably accounts for the difference.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #398 on: September 02, 2013, 09:39:45 PM »
Over the last few days I’ve removed the engine & transaxle from the chassis to install a clutch & pressure plate. I’ve learned a few things in the process— the hole in the rear of my Lunati crankshaft is the early Chevy 1.709” diameter. The KEP adapter pilot bearing is a caged needle bearing pressed into an aluminum cylinder; unfortunately I found that it was slightly oversized and it‘s now stuck in the crank, protruding about 1/8” and it will not go in any further. I’ll drill & tap two holes in the aluminum and pull it out and toss it into the trash. I have found a ball bearing that might fit without any aluminum sleeve so it is now on order.

Porsche did not distinguish themselves with the G50 clutch design. The original rubber center clutch disk had a habit of disintegrating so it was retrofitted by customers with a spring-centered disk made by Sachs. The clutch release lever arm also has problems—Porsche used caged needle bearings in the pivot and, after some time, those bearings disintegrated. A new bearing “upgrade” was offered but it was necessary to machine the tranny case to fit. The “upgrade” was later upgraded and then the cutting tool for the first upgrade was discontinued. Now the latest version uses plastic bushings in the lever arm and caged needle bearings on the cross shaft. This shaft is not allowed to rotate, so why they use needle bearings to support a shaft that doesn’t rotate is beyond me.

The choice of needle bearings for a clutch release arm is particularly bone-headed. A needle, roller, or ball bearing is not suited for an application where it simply rocks back and forth a few degrees; eventually it forms a channel in the grease and begins to fret the bearing and race. Eventually the bearing fails—add some clutch dust and it hastens to failure. Porsche trumpets their engineering expertise but I have to wonder how they could make such basic errors. I’m going to insert two Fabroid bushings for my cross-shaft. Those won’t fail.

Another lesson—the earlier G50 throwout bearing ID was 34mm and it slid forward & back on a 34mm OD guide tube. For some unexplained reason, Porsche changed to a 32mm throwout bearing and guide tube. Fortunately, the KEP kit had the right TO bearing for my G50 (34mm). I bought the KEP adapter kit some time ago so it would be a good idea to measure the guide tube in your G50 before buying a TO bearing. A new guide tube is about $80 so it isn’t a tragedy if your TO bearing isn’t the right size.

I have thought about ordering a KEP metallic clutch disk but the Sachs disk in a KEP Stage II pressure plate looks like it will handle the torque of this engine.

It’s an adventure!

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 09:50:46 PM by manta22 »

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #399 on: September 02, 2013, 09:49:39 PM »
I had quite a few fluorescent tubes that were going bad in my workshop so I replaced them all at the same time. The tubes are 4ft 40W with 4 in each fixture. The new type tubes are much brighter and give a much better “daylight” color spectrum. 

If you are replacing any florescents, here are the ones I’d recommend:

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #400 on: September 02, 2013, 10:05:10 PM »
The choice of needle bearings for a clutch release arm is particularly bone-headed. A needle, roller, or ball bearing is not suited for an application where it simply rocks back and forth a few degrees; eventually it forms a channel in the grease and begins to fret the bearing and race.

I agree - That's a whole lot of "gee wiz, Ferdinand".

Even in an application like rocker arms, where the argument could be made that needle bearings permit the oil to carry away heat, a simple bushing is a safer, smarter and cheaper bet.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #401 on: September 02, 2013, 10:19:01 PM »
Now I understand why the Schweinfurt raid was so important!

Offline Freud

« Reply #402 on: September 02, 2013, 11:17:46 PM »
Neil:  Excellent motor shots.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #403 on: September 05, 2013, 09:39:46 PM »
Drilling & tapping two 1/4-28 holes in the aluminum throwout bearing adapter allowed me to pull it out of the crank without further drama. The ball bearing arrived today and it looks perfect. It is a 15 x 43 mm sealed ball bearing made for car alternators. It fits on the nose of the Porsche G50 clutch pilot shaft as it should and the OD is a good light fit into the recess in the crank. I'll use Loctite Bearing Retainer on it to make sure it is in the crank properly. The Fabroid bushings look fine, too.

I'm surprised that no one else has discovered this size ball bearing-- everyone who mates a G50 to a SBC seems to still use the needle bearing pressed into the aluminum adapter-- the one that I had problems with.  :?

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #404 on: September 05, 2013, 09:53:34 PM »

I'm surprised that no one else has discovered this size ball bearing-- everyone who mates a G50 to a SBC seems to still use the needle bearing pressed into the aluminum adapter-- the one that I had problems with.  :?

I'd say they just lack the balls.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll: