Author Topic: Mid- Engine Modified Sports  (Read 787881 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Mid- Engine Modified Sports
« Reply #315 on: June 15, 2013, 05:55:37 PM »
Neil:

After you and a couple of others had trouble with the "you've already posted this, silly" message from the system - I asked Bob.  Here's his response:

"All the boards put the photos in the same directory.  If he's uploading a photo with the same name (whether it's the same photo or not) things would get confused.  Adding another character would give it a new name.  I think following the advice and renaming it is the only way around it.... there's no setting or anything I can tweak to change it, it's just the way it is.

As far as posting the message again, I wonder if it really did get posted?  Did he try to do a *new* reply?  I guess I don't know the sequence of events here.

B
"

I know - you said that you've tried this and that, even after the machine told you to try it - and it still didn't work.  I'll keep an eye on it - and your hassles - and ask Bob to do so, too.  But when he says there's nothing he can tweak or change -- that tells me that there ain't much that can be done.  Maybe if he and I learn more about the Forum software we can be taught what the heck is happening.  Sorry for the discomfort.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #316 on: June 16, 2013, 01:10:54 AM »
Just so you know, this same thing happens to me often. I will go back and add a number or letter to the picture then the issue about being posted comes up. It is real hassel. I've not posted a responce to a question because of this more than one time. Just letting you know it's not just Neil.

Neil:

After you and a couple of others had trouble with the "you've already posted this, silly" message from the system - I asked Bob.  Here's his response:

"All the boards put the photos in the same directory.  If he's uploading a photo with the same name (whether it's the same photo or not) things would get confused.  Adding another character would give it a new name.  I think following the advice and renaming it is the only way around it.... there's no setting or anything I can tweak to change it, it's just the way it is.

As far as posting the message again, I wonder if it really did get posted?  Did he try to do a *new* reply?  I guess I don't know the sequence of events here.

B
"

I know - you said that you've tried this and that, even after the machine told you to try it - and it still didn't work.  I'll keep an eye on it - and your hassles - and ask Bob to do so, too.  But when he says there's nothing he can tweak or change -- that tells me that there ain't much that can be done.  Maybe if he and I learn more about the Forum software we can be taught what the heck is happening.  Sorry for the discomfort.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 01:13:28 AM by Dynoroom »
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #317 on: June 16, 2013, 10:36:30 AM »
I get hit, too. So - whenever I'm about to post a photo and some text -- I first of all click "copy" and get the text -- then try posting.  If the post gets rejected becaue of the silly photo already used thing -- at least I've got the text saved and easy to re-do.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #318 on: June 16, 2013, 12:26:07 PM »
I've done that too,  Jon but the copied and re-posted version is rejected saying that I've already posted it. Why not just delete the duplication search?

Let me try again-- this time I tried altering the file size as well as the name.

Regards, Neil

BTW, to those who have asked-- I plan to trailer the car up for an inspection at Speed Week. It isn't finished yet but a courtesy inspection can turn up problems that can be rectified.
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #319 on: June 16, 2013, 05:41:30 PM »
As for trying to paste the text in - and getting rejected again -- unh, I think I do the copy function and then cancel the post and THEN try the new one.  But that won't work if you've already posted and been rejected - since then the post is, indeed, a re-post in the machine's skinny brain.  Perhaps if you altered a letter or seven in the re-post it'd work?

Sorry about this hassle, but - as Bob has told me - there's nothing we can do about it save to find another Forum software, and going there would probably cause sixteen kinds of hassles for everyone.  If and when I find a way to get along with the mess I'll letcha know.

In the meantime, Neil, do make sure you come find Nancy and me at SpeedWeek this August.  We'll be in the usual location - right near the entrance to the pits by registration, and will (we hope) be doing some audio streaming.  Maybe we'll get you to sit and let yourself be "interviewed" online.  Yeah -- good idea, and I guess now I need to make sure I've got at least a pair of useable micronomes available and places to plug 'em into.  Chris?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #320 on: June 16, 2013, 06:14:38 PM »
OK, Jon. I'm sorry about whining.... see you on the salt. Thanks for putting up with the hassles of this forum-- we all appreciate it.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #321 on: June 17, 2013, 09:48:16 PM »
Okay.

You all know how simple I am.

And computers? --- Duh!

My only problem is how to post a picture in a PM.  Any clues?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #322 on: June 17, 2013, 11:40:35 PM »
what was the name of the picture you tried to post.... camera assigned or by you, either one could have been used before by anyone and are in the database.  As soon as you get the picture reject stop...
 hit the back button... copy your post... then rename your picture by adding a 123 or abc or anything else that might make it unique... if you posted 3 pictures there is no way to know which one it is so rename them all,
hit the back button again so you were where you were when you decided to hit reply...
now hit reply... paste in your original post, add the pictures and hit post again.  :x
follow that procedure and life gets a little easier.  :-)

If you don't start over you get the you have already submitted that post message... While you will always question if I submitted that post where the hell is it... I can tell you it is lost in Bills back yard...
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #323 on: June 17, 2013, 11:46:20 PM »
Okay.

My only problem is how to post a picture in a PM.  Any clues?

you ask them for their email address and send it that way... some of us even have an email link right there by our avatar next to the PM button. 
But Stan, please no pictures of you in your birthday suit...  :-P :-P
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #324 on: June 18, 2013, 12:09:10 PM »
How come I always just have the one candle?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #325 on: June 18, 2013, 01:09:52 PM »
Stan, to make you feel a little better -- I don't know how to attach a photo to a PM, either.  I've decided that there is no way. 

There.  Feel better now? :-)
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #326 on: June 18, 2013, 02:09:54 PM »
After searching on many different occasions I can say for all certainty that there is no way to post anything on a PM other than the typed word. Email is the only other option.
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #327 on: July 05, 2013, 09:13:46 PM »
I finished modifying the Mirage nose & radiator support structure and had it sandblasted to remove all the surface crud. Next was the task of cutting a sheet of titanium that was large enough to cover the bottom. It was only 0.012” 6Al-4V so I could cut it with a large pair of compound hand snips. I first made a template out of light cardboard so that I was less likely to make an error and ruin the one sheet that I had. I transferred the template shape to the sheet and it worked just fine—no scrap.

I also outlined the square tube members on to the template which I had taped to the sheet. Then I punched & drilled #30 holes, spaced on 2” centers on the center line of the tube outlines on the template. Punching this thin sheet was easier than drilling but my Roper-Whitney punch had only a 4” throat so I couldn’t reach the hole locations that were not on the edges of the sheet. Then, after taping the sheet & template in position on the bottom of the structure, I drilled through the holes in the sheet into the mild steel tubes with a #30 drill and inserted Clecos along the way.

By match-drilling these holes, they all line up perfectly. After removing the clecos and deburring all the holes, I installed Clecos in all the holes—105 of them! See- you can never have too many clecos...and this is only one panel. The sides will also have stressed panels riveted on. These panels act as stiffeners and strengthen the structure. In addition, they duct the air through the radiator rather than allow it to flow around it.

Later, I’ll prime and paint the structure and then install 1/8” A286 Cherrylock rivets.

Offline Freud

« Reply #328 on: July 05, 2013, 10:38:33 PM »
I like your attitude.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #329 on: July 06, 2013, 02:02:20 AM »
Neil, where did you learn how to do all this space-age stuff?