Author Topic: Mid- Engine Modified Sports  (Read 784778 times)

Offline Peter Jack

Re: Mid- Engine Modified Sports
« Reply #240 on: February 13, 2013, 08:43:59 PM »
Ahhhhh! From the times when race cars were real, could be worked on by normally equipped teams and were relatively affordable. The sixties and early seventies were the golden era of road racing. Looking great Neil.  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Pete

Offline tauruck

« Reply #241 on: February 13, 2013, 11:46:31 PM »
Looks really good. Are you putting louvres into the yellow areas?.

Offline DND

« Reply #242 on: February 14, 2013, 03:47:13 AM »
Hi Neil

I have a early book on Bruce and it has a photo of his own Can-Am coupe road car, both the Lola T70 & the McLaren look great it is a toss up as to wich is better looking.

Don

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #243 on: February 14, 2013, 11:07:50 AM »
Looks really good. Are you putting louvres into the yellow areas?.

Thanks for the comments, everyone. BTW, the McLaren road car was the M6GT, similar to Rex Svoboda's beautiful blue GMS.

No, the yellow areas are where there were pop-up headlights. I've riveted on sheet aluminum covers that I have primed with zinc chromate; I'll eventually paint them black.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #244 on: February 16, 2013, 08:31:29 PM »
Neil, the craftsmanship is fantastac, but the body lines are freakin my favorite! :cheers:
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline DND

« Reply #245 on: February 16, 2013, 08:40:33 PM »
Oh ya those McLaren cars were very trick in design & build for thier day, timeless stuff!!

Don

Offline Tman

« Reply #246 on: February 17, 2013, 11:26:13 AM »
Very sexy car :cheers:

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #247 on: February 26, 2013, 02:24:55 PM »
Yesterday I removed the Clecos fastening the top panel to the roll cage so that I could do more trial fit of fiberglass body panels. The Clecos were in the way so I replaced them with a few el cheapo blind rivets. These are 5/32" aluminum/steel rivets that are maybe one step up from hardware store pop rivets but they are only temporary and I will drill them out and replace them with A286 blind rivets when the chassis is finish welded and painted.

Things went OK until the last one-- the pneumatic rivet gun pulled the stem until it broke but the nosepiece bounced up and the broken end of the stem went into my thumb when it came back down. So I have a minor gash in my left thumb but a simple Band-Aid fixed things. Dopey accident; it is something I never anticipated, but I guess if I had, it wouldn't be called an "accident". Duhh.

:oops:

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #248 on: February 26, 2013, 06:23:46 PM »
Neil, gotta be careful using power tools....  :|
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline tauruck

« Reply #249 on: February 27, 2013, 01:24:39 AM »
That's so true. Clive, my buddy was helping me here a while back. He was cutting a plate using the angle grinder. Sparks were really flying. I asked him why he always stood on the wrong side of the grinder if you get my meaning. Not five minutes later I heard him scream. His shirt was on fire and he was so spooked he just dropped the Makita while it was still running. Those few seconds took it's toll. I suppose the lesson is that if you want to be on the wrong side don't wear polyester.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #250 on: February 27, 2013, 01:49:13 AM »

Things went OK until the last one-- the pneumatic rivet gun pulled the stem until it broke but the nosepiece bounced up and the broken end of the stem went into my thumb when it came back down. So I have a minor gash in my left thumb but a simple Band-Aid fixed things.

My dad told me once, after gashing up my finger doing some body work on his Cougar, "That's why God gave you ten of 'em".
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #251 on: February 27, 2013, 12:34:36 PM »
MM;

Fortunately I still have my original issue ten.... same for toes. But it's still early in the game.  :-D

Offline tauruck

« Reply #252 on: February 27, 2013, 12:47:46 PM »
Beware of frost bite. :-D :-D :-D

Offline Tman

« Reply #253 on: February 27, 2013, 12:48:18 PM »
MM;

Fortunately I still have my original issue ten.... same for toes. But it's still early in the game.  :-D

I have all of them as well but upon further inspection I have quite a few "identifying marks" including part of a zip wheel imbedded in one fingertip.  :-o

gkabbt

« Reply #254 on: February 27, 2013, 03:26:45 PM »
I have quite a few "identifying marks" including part of a zip wheel imbedded in one fingertip.  :-o

As the window sign says at my local Northern Tool, "Scars are tatoos with better stories".