Author Topic: Mid- Engine Modified Sports  (Read 786866 times)

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
Re: Mid- Engine Modified Sports
« Reply #180 on: November 25, 2012, 07:26:15 PM »
I’ve mounted the first heat shield on my black Mirage. To allow quick access to the engine compartment, I decided to use Dzus quarter-turn fasteners to secure the aluminum panel to the chassis tubes. These have been around for a long time but someone may never have installed them so I'll elaborate a bit.

I bought them from Speedway motors but they are available from other sources. Be aware that the same items vary in price over about a 2-to-1 range from different vendors. Since my panel is thin (0.040” 6061-T6) the springs needed were the “raised” ones, thicker panels need the “standard” height springs. Mounting the fasteners is not hard—simply weld the steel tab onto the chassis, pop rivet the spring in place, and place the Dzus button onto a 13/32” hole in the panel. In reality it isn’t quite so easy; the tabs must be mounted so they are oriented properly or the panel will be bowed in or out. Also, locating the holes in just the right place on the panel so they align with the mounting tab holes is a pain but a transfer punch will make the job easier.

I prefer Avex pop rivets for things like this; they are 1/8” diameter and have a large grip range.

I considered a number of methods to cut the heat shield panel to the proper shape. Since I was concerned about not distorting the cut edges, I tried my “El Cheapo” Harbor Freight plasma cutter on aluminum for the first time. It cut the sheet very well with no distortion. Just a little dressing of the edges to make them smooth was all that was required. This is a case where a template is definitely needed—cutting cardboard and throwing away mistakes is far cheaper than scrapping aluminum!

The next step, after I finish the left side heat shield is to go over the surfaces with an orbital sander to remove the stain & discoloration on the aluminum, treating it with a phosphoric acid solution, rinsing, drying, and then giving it a coat of zinc chromate primer.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #181 on: November 25, 2012, 07:36:04 PM »
Pictures

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #182 on: November 28, 2012, 06:44:03 PM »
I scrounged in my pile of surplus stuff and came up with a good filter for my mechanical fuel injection system. It’s a 10 micron filter so it should be OK. I also have a bigger 1 micron fuel filter that I can use when I convert this manifold to EFI.

I made the mounting bracket by cutting a length of 2024-T3 U-channel to size, drilling it for the mounting holes and inserting 1/4-20 Rivnuts in place. Since it will probably be mounted on my 0.040” heat shield, I needed to spread the load over a wider area so as not to fatigue the thin heat shield from vibration. I cut a larger flat mounting plate from 0.125” 7075-T6 and drilled it for the filter bracket mounting holes and for 1/8” countersunk rivets. The plate then was cleaned and sprayed with green zinc chromate. The mounting bracket holes are the same size & pattern front & rear so the filter direction can be easily reversed.

It’s the little stuff that takes time........... :-P

Regards,

Neil Tucson, AZ

Offline gray63

« Reply #183 on: November 28, 2012, 07:04:15 PM »
Neil:

When I look at the detail and workmanship, I get depressed at my abilities.
I am anxious to see this critter when it makes it to Bonneville.

Regards,  Dave Gray

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #184 on: November 28, 2012, 07:16:17 PM »
Thanks, Dave;

Your '56 Corvette is certainly a mighty nice car... and it is running! Lets hope I can keep the progress going and get this it running before I get too old to drive the darned thing!

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #185 on: November 28, 2012, 08:14:19 PM »
Thanks, Dave;

Your '56 Corvette is certainly a mighty nice car... and it is running! Lets hope I can keep the progress going and get this it running before I get too old to drive the darned thing!

Gosh, Neil, if it's a driver you need . . .  :wink:

I'm just fascinated with all of these top shelf surplus parts you keep integrating into this build.

I guess I'm wondering when you're going to install the left over heat tiles that NASA used for reentry on the shuttle.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #186 on: November 28, 2012, 08:26:05 PM »
MM;

As far as a driver is concerned, I have first priority  :-D

A lifetime of collecting surplus stuff has finally started to pay off. The great days of surplus hunting is pretty much over; the super deals have dried up and the surplus flow has been reduced to a trickle. Many old guys like me remember the good old days when all the aircraft manufacturers had their own surplus stores as well as the private dealers. Earl's Supply started off as a surplus parts dealer. The LA area was great-- North American Aviation, Douglas Aircraft, Lockheed Aircraft, etc, etc.

Shuttle tiles?    ...no but I do have a Nike Ajax rocket engine. Nah, the red fuming nitric acid and analine would probably move me up into the Fuel class.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #187 on: November 28, 2012, 08:35:37 PM »
My dad worked for Collins Radio which was bought by Rockwell.  They did most of the Apollo communications and a lot of development on early global positioning systems.  They had a fabulous surplus store up until about 1980 when just-in-time practices started to take hold in purchasing. 

If I knew then what I know now, half of their excess stock would be squirreled away in my attic.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #188 on: November 28, 2012, 09:44:48 PM »
MM;

I love Collins gear. I have a KWM-1 transceiver and a 32S-1 & 75S-1 S-Line. Their R-390A  is still one of the best short-wave receivers ever built-- even today! I have a 1953 contract Collins R-390A, serial number 12.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #189 on: November 30, 2012, 08:18:24 PM »
My friend Wade Musil finished bending my rear anti-roll bar yesterday so I bolted it in place on the chassis that evening. I’ll drill four 3/8” holes in each of the bent arms and weld in sleeves for 1/4” bolts, similar to my front anti-roll bar. This way the stiffness of the bar can be adjusted. Today I made two brackets to bolt to the rear uprights. These will be bolted into place using existing 1/2-20 bolts that go through rod end bearings into the uprights. I made these from a short length of steel tubing welded to a large 1/2” washer and then welded tabs into that tubing for the rod end bearings in the downlinks.

The tabs are offset from the tubing centerline so that the rod end is centered. This way the tubing will not want to rotate around the mounting bolt.

Actually, I positioned the bolt wrong in these photos—it is properly inserted into the large open end, of course.  :-P

Regards,

Neil Tucson, AZ

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #190 on: December 01, 2012, 11:07:50 PM »
Neil, I think a lot of the lack of surplus laying around is the value of the metal on the scrap market and the availability of recyclers.  It is too easy to get rid of things, now.   

Offline JimL

« Reply #191 on: December 02, 2012, 12:30:06 AM »
R390A?  Got my attention, and brought back memories.  Do you still copy code?  I was 05H, riding lightning with Security Agency, about 45 years ago....small world.  Ears are still ringing! :-P
... _._
JimL

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #192 on: December 02, 2012, 10:43:25 AM »
WW;

Yes, I agree. There are also far fewer military R & D programs now compared to years ago and far fewer manufacturers. The EPA has made scraping so difficult that it has also virtually disappeared.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #193 on: December 02, 2012, 10:50:36 AM »
R390A?  Got my attention, and brought back memories.  Do you still copy code?  I was 05H, riding lightning with Security Agency, about 45 years ago....small world.  Ears are still ringing! :-P
... _._
JimL

Jim;

A dittybopper, eh? A couple of years ago I was driving around Coronado and stumbled across a big "elephant cage" just off the road. Now that would be a nice antenna for an R-390A! Where were you stationed?

I wasn't with ASA-- I learned code when I was 14 so I could get my license. Well, my code speed is probably less that 5 wpm these days but I'll get back to amateur radio someday.

73, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline JimL

« Reply #194 on: December 02, 2012, 11:23:19 PM »
Yup, ASA with 6 months in Rothwesten, Germany, then 6 months in Herzo near Nurnberg, then 2 tours in Phu Bai on the south edge of Hue (67-69). Seems like a lifetime ago now.....wait...it was a lifetime ago!

Back to your build thread...this is probably boring to the racers, but thanks for the memory jog.
Regards, JimL