Author Topic: Mid- Engine Modified Sports  (Read 787688 times)

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
Re: Mid- Engine Modified Sports
« Reply #150 on: July 20, 2012, 06:36:16 PM »
I have done a trial fit of my fuel cell and it fits-- tight but it fits. This is a 10 gallon Fuel Safe ProCell bladder in an aluminum can with a slip-fit top-- called a "shoe box". I need to unbolt the filler neck and re-position it and add some anti-chafe strips to the can but the main thing is that it fits in the side pod. I'll cover the top with an aluminum panel.
This fuel cell has a ball check valve in the vent and a flapper valve in the filler neck to prevent fuel from running out if the car is upside down.
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #151 on: September 21, 2012, 08:41:53 PM »
I spent today cleaning up a dry sump oil tank that I plan to put into the black Mirage. It is a Patterson aluminum tank, about 12" diameter and 15" tall-- probably 4 gallons. The outside was dirty so I scrubbed it with Dawn and water using an old paint brush. Most of the dirt came off so I used the remainder of an old can of brake cleaner to spray the inside of the two tank halves. The rubber sealing ring looked OK after I cleaned it so I'll reassemble the whole thing tomorrow. and do a trial fit.

Although I don't plan to use a dry sump on my first engine since it is only a wet sump, I want to mount the oil tank in the chassis so it will be there when I install my sprint car engine, which is only a dry sump setup. Right now I'm planning on mounting it vertically (of course) in the rear of the left-hand side pod. I measured it and it will just fit. I may mount one of my automatic extinguishers in the same spot in the right side pod...we'll see.

I'll need a couple of feet of rubber cushioning for the 1" stainless T-bolt mounting straps since those were somewhat deteriorated. It took a long time searching the Internet to find the stuff. Aircraft Spruce has it but it was just luck that I found it there. Google searching wasn't turning up anything, at least using all of the descriptive terms that I could think of. I'll post a few pictures when I get the tank mounted.

Offline Tman

« Reply #152 on: September 21, 2012, 10:10:01 PM »
Slow steps aren't they!?

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #153 on: September 21, 2012, 10:46:46 PM »
Unfortunately true, Tman.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #154 on: September 26, 2012, 08:30:22 PM »
I've been doing some metal work the past few days and now have my fire bottles and fuel cell in place. They will have to be re-installed many times before the car is actually finished, of course.

Here is the mounting bracket for a 10 lb automatic extinguisher (it goes off like an overhead sprinkler system-- it senses heat) and a manually-actuated 5 lb Fire Bottle. Both are Halon type extinguishers. I bought the machined aluminum mount on eBay; it is ex-NASCAR and so is the white 10 lb bottle. It will be mounted in the left side pod, riveted in place under the stressed panel, ahead of the dry sump oil tank.

The 10 gallon Fuel Safe fuel cell is mounted in the right side pod; in the rear of that pod is another manually-actuated 10 lb Fire Bottle. I'd like to have the stressed panels anodized but they are 0.063" 7075-T6 which does not color anodize well. I'll probably just finish them with a fine grit orbital sander, clean & prep, and paint them with a zinc chromate primer. They won't be riveted in place until the chassis is finish welded, sandblasted, cleaned & prepped, and painted.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #155 on: September 26, 2012, 08:46:16 PM »
Fire Bottles

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #156 on: September 26, 2012, 08:47:42 PM »
Oil Tank

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #157 on: September 26, 2012, 08:49:08 PM »
Fuel cell and Fire Bottle:

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #158 on: September 26, 2012, 09:51:03 PM »

I'd just like to get it finished before I'm too old to drive it!

Neil, I just re-read your diary front to back.  We both started our projects in June of '08, and it occurred to me that if you don't get crackin', I might just beat you to the salt!

I'm amazed at the detail in your preparation.  This one will be spectacular.   :cheers:
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #159 on: September 26, 2012, 10:00:31 PM »
MM;

Thanks-- I'm trying to keep some progress going but not letting it consume my life-- after all, this is supposed to be fun and so far it is!

Offline krusty

« Reply #160 on: September 27, 2012, 06:15:21 AM »

Try Patterson Enterprises in Van Nuys, CA for the strap cushioning material. They are manufacturers of dry sump oil tanks and should be able to ddirect you to a source.        vic

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #161 on: September 27, 2012, 11:32:55 AM »
Thanks, Krusty. I received the cushioning strips yesterday from Aircruft Spruce-- it is a perfect replacement. BTW, I was wrong about the diameter of my oil tank; it is 9" dia-- not 12".

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #162 on: September 27, 2012, 12:30:14 PM »
Manta. Attach a stick on heater to the lower part of your oil tank. (available from McMaster-Carr and other places) make sure you cover it with some other insulation to heat your oil and not loose any to atmosphere. About 10-15 minutes can really make a difference on starting youe engine in the morning......Good luck....
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #163 on: September 27, 2012, 12:34:30 PM »
J6;

Thanks for the suggestion. I think I have a couple of those around here. If I can find them I'll attach one to the oil tank as you suggested and another to the transaxle.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #164 on: September 27, 2012, 01:33:01 PM »
For a small heater like you're seeking -- see if you can find one of the "wrap-around" heaters designed for heating/keeping warm a car or truck batter.  They're about 1/2" thick and maybe 18" x 6" tall, and have straps/ribbons on the ends to allow you to tie it on in place. 

I suggest the wraparound style because it doesn't concentrate the heat in one place, as might spot heaters (that's why they call 'em SPOT heaters, after all), but rather over most of the 18 x 6 area.  Mine runs on 110VAC.  I use it in the barn (unheated) when I've got recalcitrant batteries to try to start an engine.  It works well.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com