Author Topic: Mid- Engine Modified Sports  (Read 787782 times)

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
Re: Mid- Engine Modified Sports
« Reply #1065 on: February 22, 2016, 07:21:56 PM »
I'll check it- thanks Don.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1066 on: March 05, 2016, 04:49:20 PM »
Sometimes the simplest job turns into a can of worms. That is the case of getting my water pump mounted-
1. The upper pulley (pump) did not line up with the crank pulley.
2. Bought shims for the crank pulley to fix the problem.
3. Wrong- needed shims for the WP pulley instead so bought those.
4. Upper pulley too big- interferes with lower pulley. Order smaller WP pulley.
    4a. Large pulley won't come off the WP shaft- too close to firewall & cage structure.
    4b. Remove WP bolts to slide WP sideways to get more clearance. Still won't work.
    4c. Pull out engine & transaxle mounting bolts, lift & move back. Eureka!
5. Install smaller WP pulley with a few shims- perfect. Now I need two V-belts.
6. Researched size belts needed- no information anywhere. No one agrees on how to measure v-belts. Measured around OD of pulleys with a tape measure: 35".
7. Called Speedway Motors & ordered a set of 1:1 belts. Way too small- returned them.
8. More research turned up a Gates belt that might fit: XL 7345. Bought one locally.
9. Tried fitting belt on pulleys- a little bit too loose but close. Returned it & bought one 1 size smaller: XL 7340.
10. Installed belt on pulleys- a very good fit. Need one more belt and I ruined the old WP to block gaskets.
11. Bought a second Gates XL 7340 and a pair of Fel-Pro 5152 gaskets. Researched Fel-Pro to find out if they recommended using any sealer on them. Lousy Fel-Pro website but finally found that they recommended installing their gaskets dry.
12. Installed gaskets & belts. Correct belt tension in both belts. Gates says these are "34 inch" belts.
13. Original crank pulley/damper bolt now too short for the aluminum crank pulley. Found longer SPS socket head cap screw but it was about 1/2" too long.
14. Used a cut-off wheel to shorten bolt; dressed cut end & torqued bolt into place.

There you have it; a simple job that should have taken less than an afternoon became a saga.  :x

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #1067 on: March 05, 2016, 05:07:03 PM »
Sometimes the simplest job turns into a can of worms. That is the case of getting my water pump mounted-
1. The upper pulley (pump) did not line up with the crank pulley.
2. Bought shims for the crank pulley to fix the problem.
3. Wrong- needed shims for the WP pulley instead so bought those.
4. Upper pulley too big- interferes with lower pulley. Order smaller WP pulley.
    4a. Large pulley won't come off the WP shaft- too close to firewall & cage structure.
    4b. Remove WP bolts to slide WP sideways to get more clearance. Still won't work.
    4c. Pull out engine & transaxle mounting bolts, lift & move back. Eureka!
5. Install smaller WP pulley with a few shims- perfect. Now I need two V-belts.
6. Researched size belts needed- no information anywhere. No one agrees on how to measure v-belts. Measured around OD of pulleys with a tape measure: 35".
7. Called Speedway Motors & ordered a set of 1:1 belts. Way too small- returned them.
8. More research turned up a Gates belt that might fit: XL 7345. Bought one locally.
9. Tried fitting belt on pulleys- a little bit too loose but close. Returned it & bought one 1 size smaller: XL 7340.
10. Installed belt on pulleys- a very good fit. Need one more belt and I ruined the old WP to block gaskets.
11. Bought a second Gates XL 7340 and a pair of Fel-Pro 5152 gaskets. Researched Fel-Pro to find out if they recommended using any sealer on them. Lousy Fel-Pro website but finally found that they recommended installing their gaskets dry.
12. Installed gaskets & belts. Correct belt tension in both belts. Gates says these are "34 inch" belts.
13. Original crank pulley/damper bolt now too short for the aluminum crank pulley. Found longer SPS socket head cap screw but it was about 1/2" too long.
14. Used a cut-off wheel to shorten bolt; dressed cut end & torqued bolt into place.

There you have it; a simple job that should have taken less than an afternoon became a saga.  :x

Neil,

That's always the way . . . . . . .  certain "simple" things, become a "cascading nightmare" . . . . . .

Speaking of afternoon adventures, back a few weeks ago . . . . . .

Mrs. Fordboy 
"I don't understand why it took you the whole afternoon to fix one kitchen cabinet drawer."

Fordboy
"I'd explain it, but you wouldn't believe me anyway.   Think I'll have a helium beer . . . . . ."

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Fordboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline tauruck

« Reply #1068 on: March 05, 2016, 11:11:19 PM »
Neil, I feel for you.
That was a nightmare for sure.
Happy to hear you finally found solutions. :cheers:

You water pump pulley looks a lot like one I have
on one of my Ford motors. Locally manufactured by
the late Ivor Pringle in 2000. He did beautiful work.
I'll take a photo and post it later. Earlier rather than later. Edited.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 12:34:32 AM by tauruck »

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1069 on: March 15, 2016, 03:34:59 PM »
I finished plumbing my hydraulic clutch line this morning. I needed a length of 4AN flexible hose to connect the slave cylinder to the main hard line from the master cylinder. A hard line connection would probably fail due to the relative vibration between the chassis and the transaxle. A little flex line should prevent that.

I measured a length of Aeroquip braided SS hose and cut it to length with a cut-off wheel and installed Aeroquip 4AN hose ends. It takes lots of force to push the ends on before threading the back shell on. Moving the hose around while pushing helps.

I consider it a success since I did not stab myself on the cut braid ends. Oh yes- I painted a line around the braid as Aeroquip suggests to make any push-out of the hose clearly visible.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #1070 on: March 15, 2016, 05:09:43 PM »
I consider it a success since I did not stab myself on the cut braid ends. Oh yes- I painted a line around the braid as Aeroquip suggests to make any push-out of the hose clearly visible.

[/quote]

And you brag that you didn't injure yourself and you did do something they suggested and by golly it looks like they were right -- hunh, is that it?

C'mpn, Neil.  There's something just plain wrong with someone that gets it so right.

Not even a little poke and a tiny band aid? :-D
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1071 on: March 15, 2016, 05:27:08 PM »
Nope, not even one, Jon. Having said that, I hate to think of what's going to happen the next time I put a fitting on braided Teflon hose. Stand by with a first-aid kit!  :-P

Offline tauruck

« Reply #1072 on: March 16, 2016, 12:42:01 AM »
Not an easy job.
Well done Neil.
I've watched it being done and the guy used tape on the hose where he made the cut.
He said it helped stop the braid from unraveling. That SS burns like hell if you get pricked. :evil:
I guess you've got it down!!!. :cheers:

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #1073 on: March 16, 2016, 09:42:50 AM »
Neil...Russell hose and fitting assembly lube. Summit sells it.
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1074 on: March 16, 2016, 11:38:23 AM »

I didn't have any when I made the hose but thanks for the recommendation- I'll order some.

Mike;

Tape does help keep the SS braid from fraying out when it is cut. I use a thin abrasive cut-off wheel to cut the hose; I never had any success using the recommended "fine-tooth hacksaw". The finest I've seen is 32 TPI and it just rips up the braid. BTW, this was the Teflon-lined hose- I've never tried assembling a braided rubber hose.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #1075 on: March 16, 2016, 12:41:42 PM »
The Teflon hose is the easy one. Rubber is a pain. Teflon is a lot better hose anyway.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1076 on: March 16, 2016, 02:09:36 PM »
The Teflon hose is the easy one. Rubber is a pain. Teflon is a lot better hose anyway.

If Teflon is the "easy" one, I don't think I will be doing any braided SS rubber ones! The push-on fittings work just fine with the appropriate rubber hose.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #1077 on: March 16, 2016, 02:16:51 PM »

I didn't have any when I made the hose but thanks for the recommendation- I'll order some.

Mike;

Tape does help keep the SS braid from fraying out when it is cut. I use a thin abrasive cut-off wheel to cut the hose; I never had any success using the recommended "fine-tooth hacksaw". The finest I've seen is 32 TPI and it just rips up the braid. BTW, this was the Teflon-lined hose- I've never tried assembling a braided rubber hose.

You're right Neil, my friend also used the thin cut off wheel.
I tried just once to use the hacksaw. Didn't go well at all.  :evil:
Doing hoses isn't easy. The guy on my street sells Goodridge and he's got that fancy cutting machine.

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #1078 on: March 16, 2016, 02:36:06 PM »
I do this: https://www.anplumbing.com/hose_cutting It works as advertised. :-D

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #1079 on: March 16, 2016, 03:07:10 PM »
I use a narrow hose clamp around the hose, tightened to where the hose is compressed. Use a thin cutoff wheel (squinting works as good as goggles doesn't it) right next to the clamp, cutting toward the screw. With the sleeve/nut ready, don't loosen the clamp, just pull it off and slip the sleeve/nut on before the hose expands. The hose will expand inside the nut, then assemble as normal. I've used this method on rubber and teflon both.

YMMV
Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.