Author Topic: Mid- Engine Modified Sports  (Read 787740 times)

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
Re: Mid- Engine Modified Sports
« Reply #105 on: March 18, 2011, 05:00:52 PM »
Don & Tony;

Thanks for your interest. I looked at my build diary and it has been a long time since I updated it. I hadn't realized that it had been that long!

I haven't made as much progress as I would have liked on my car but it hasn't been completely neglected. Late last year, Joline and I went on a South American cruise which ate up quite a bit of time. We boarded ship in Buenos Aires and sailed to the Falkland Islands and continued down to cape Horn, Patagonia, and Tierra del Fuego, through the Strait of Magellan and the Drake Passage, finally ending up in Valparaiso. We spent a little time there and then flew from Santiago to Easter Island (Rapa Nui) for a week-- a totally cool place. Then back to Santiago and to Iquique, up north in Chile where I worked for a time 15 years ago. It was interesting to visit there-- the city has grown considerably. Then we flew back to Santiago and then home to Tucson. It was a long trip but we thoroughly enjoyed it.

Getting the bad cold/flu or whatever is going around hasn't helped, either plus I've been working on some consulting jobs that take time but at least earn $.

I did get my front wheels-- Bassett racing wheels and the Goodyears are mounted and the wheels are bolted on. I've been struggling with my rear suspension design; it is a copy of a Porsche 996 since those are the uprights that I've used, but I have not been happy with the bump steer of the original Porsche geometry so I've made a few changes that did improve it. Finally I decided that I needed to get this under control once and for all, so I built a balsa wood model of the rear suspension so that I could visualize what was happening as the wheel moved up and down. It helped me understand the 5-link geometry but to get everything analyzed accurately I needed to use a computer. I found that Performance Trends offers a full-featured demo of their Suspension Analyzer package that runs for 10 days. This was the only software that is configured for analyzing a 5-link design. After measuring all the ball joint locations in X,Y, & Z, I could work out where the rod-end bearing attachment brackets needed to be located on the chassis to give me the wheel motion that I need. Cutting off some of the existing brackets and re-mounting them is what I'm doing right now.

My friend John Horsman loaned me a large folder of 200mph aerodynamic data that JWA/Gulf Racing had taken in the full-scale wind tunnel at MIRA (Motor Industry Research Associan in the UK). He has data on the Ford GT40, Porsche 917, and the series of Mirage sports racing cars. There was frontal area, drag, front lift/downforce, and rear lift/downforce. These were also performed at yaw angles of 0,5, and 10 degrees! These figures are not directly applicable to my car but there is enough similarity that I can do a reasonable estimate of the horsepower needed at any speed.

Well guys-- back to work.
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #106 on: March 18, 2011, 11:50:54 PM »
Just re-read the whole build.  Good to catch up on this one, Neil. 
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #107 on: March 19, 2011, 12:56:09 AM »
I just read the whole build for the first time. Love the body choice!

Great build. :cheers:
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Tman

« Reply #108 on: March 19, 2011, 01:23:42 AM »
I just read the whole build for the first time. Love the body choice!

Great build. :cheers:

Same here, that is a saxy hot rod! Love the fabrication.......................sheets of Ti? WTF!?!?!? That is crazy talk!

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #109 on: March 19, 2011, 05:00:55 PM »
Tman;

".......................sheets of Ti? WTF!?!?!? That is crazy talk!"

Yeah, I'm finally finding a use for all that wierd surplus stuff that I've picked up over the years! 8-)

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #110 on: March 19, 2011, 05:33:56 PM »
Well, Neil, if you ever need some help cleaning up your garage, I'd be happy to bring a trailer over. :-D
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #111 on: March 19, 2011, 06:29:59 PM »
What....all that and no posted trip pics????

Doing S.A. is something my wife and I have been planning on doing for a few years (not a cruise however).
Good to hear you are doing well and had a good time on the trip

~JH
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #112 on: March 19, 2011, 07:13:34 PM »
MM;

Someday my wife is going to have one heck of an estate sale-- hopefully not in the near future, though.  :-D

JH;

I've got a ton of pictures but I'll only post two; the sun at 56 degrees South-- Cape Horn and Moai stone statues on Rapa Nui (Easter Island). A cruise is a pretty good way of seeing a lot of South America. If you go, I'd suggest Chile as a destination. The people are friendly, the country is stable and safe, and the gov't, police, etc are NOT corrupt. Some places in SA are downright dangerous. It is NOT like Mexico at all.

Regards, Neil   Tucson, AZ

Offline Tman

« Reply #113 on: March 19, 2011, 07:19:59 PM »
MM and I will be there tomorrow to help you catalog and dispose off all thet surplus! :-D

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #114 on: March 19, 2011, 07:50:22 PM »
 :-D :-D :-D :-D :cheers:

Offline Rich Shiedlak

• New folks
« Reply #115 on: March 27, 2011, 11:58:47 PM »
Neal,
    Great build!Keep up the great work! I wish I'd of looked you up while working down in Nogales last year,maybe next time we set up shop down there.I have a friend in Oro Valley named Francis,have you met?He's built a very nice LS model A roadster.Take care.Rich

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #116 on: March 28, 2011, 10:13:42 PM »
Rich;

Thanks for the message-- if you are in this part of AZ again, definitely look us up. No, I don't think I've met Francis.

Regards, Neil   Tucson, AZ

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #117 on: February 26, 2012, 06:47:52 PM »
It has been some time since I posted anything on my build diary-- progress has been slow but not zero. I bought a suspension analyzer program to optimize the geometry of my front & rear suspension and found that I could improve it by revising the pick-up points on the chassis and extending the inner tie rod ball on the steering rack out by 2" on each side. These changes are taking time and I've been doing quite a bit of consulting work the past few months so not as much has been accomplished as I would like.

Today I finished mounting two brackets for a front anti-roll (sway) bar. My friend, Wade, is going to bend the 13/16" tubing for me and it will rotate on two Fabroid bearings, each mounted in a 7075-T6 plate. The mounting bolts are NOT from the hardware store.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #118 on: February 26, 2012, 07:09:50 PM »
Love aircraft hardware, looks nice.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #119 on: February 26, 2012, 07:42:39 PM »
Neil,
How do you get the bent tubing through the bearings? Are they oversize and then use a split bushing?

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.