Author Topic: Mid- Engine Modified Sports  (Read 787955 times)

Offline tauruck

Re: Mid- Engine Modified Sports
« Reply #1035 on: February 16, 2016, 02:50:32 PM »
Good point, guys-- I'll replace them with rivets.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Would those be peel rivets Neil?.

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #1036 on: February 16, 2016, 02:58:06 PM »
This calls for my favorite "sheet metal screw" story! (Neil, sorry to hyjack your build) In 1982 while working for Interscope racing Fred (Ted Field, team owner, driver and a multi-multi millionaire) bought a Kremer Brothers K-4 935 Porsche, aluminum tube frame (welded together by someone that knew nothing about welding!) and it had "ground effect" tunnels that were made from about 20 ga. aluminum sheet and a million sheet metal screws! The first time we were ever going to run it was in testing at Road Atlanta. DO (Danny Ongais) took one look at all of the sheet metal screws, called the truck driver over and told him to go to town and get several hundred 10-32 screws and nylock nuts. He said he would go out and make a couple of laps to shake the sheet metal screws out and then we could go about making the fix. He was exactly right, 2-3 laps and when he came back in most of the screws were gone! We spent the next few hours drilling out the screw holes and installing the 10-32s and lock nuts. And that is just one of the many sorted stories of the K-4, never raced it, what a POS!!!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #1037 on: February 16, 2016, 03:34:26 PM »
This calls for my favorite "sheet metal screw" story! (Neil, sorry to hyjack your build) In 1982 while working for Interscope racing Fred (Ted Field, team owner, driver and a multi-multi millionaire) bought a Kremer Brothers K-4 935 Porsche, aluminum tube frame (welded together by someone that knew nothing about welding!) and it had "ground effect" tunnels that were made from about 20 ga. aluminum sheet and a million sheet metal screws! The first time we were ever going to run it was in testing at Road Atlanta. DO (Danny Ongais) took one look at all of the sheet metal screws, called the truck driver over and told him to go to town and get several hundred 10-32 screws and nylock nuts. He said he would go out and make a couple of laps to shake the sheet metal screws out and then we could go about making the fix. He was exactly right, 2-3 laps and when he came back in most of the screws were gone! We spent the next few hours drilling out the screw holes and installing the 10-32s and lock nuts. And that is just one of the many sorted stories of the K-4, never raced it, what a POS!!!

Rex

Rex,

In '82 I was at Cooke's.   Heard a lot of stories about Ted's 935 K-4.    I had not heard that one.

ROTFLMAO

Sometime, in person, I'll trade you Ralph stories for Ted stories.   I'll bet I can make you buy . . . . . .

Neil,

Mea culpa, mea maxima culpa

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Fordboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Rex Schimmer

« Reply #1038 on: February 16, 2016, 06:53:06 PM »
Fordboy said "Sometime, in person, I'll trade you Ralph stories for Ted stories.   I'll bet I can make you buy . . . ."

That is a DEAL!!!! Better yet I will bring a bottle of tequila, ice and some mix and a bunch of Red Solo cups over to the Midget''s pit at the next Bonneville race and we can drink it up and tell all of the great stories!!

Rex
Rex

Offline salt27

« Reply #1039 on: February 16, 2016, 07:35:35 PM »
Fordboy said "Sometime, in person, I'll trade you Ralph stories for Ted stories.   I'll bet I can make you buy . . . ."

That is a DEAL!!!! Better yet I will bring a bottle of tequila, ice and some mix and a bunch of Red Solo cups over to the Midget''s pit at the next Bonneville race and we can drink it up and tell all of the great stories!!

Rex

I'll bring chips and salsa if I can eavesdrop.   :-D

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #1040 on: February 16, 2016, 08:29:01 PM »
I have a few stories as well after 20 years in the timing stand, both lakes and on the salt.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline DND

« Reply #1041 on: February 16, 2016, 10:24:16 PM »
For the life of me I don't know why one of the trick automotive writers has not done a series of books on the ' Greatest Racing Story's '

As there is a never ending supply of them !!!

Just seems like a natural to me as we all have our favorite ones

DND

Offline tauruck

« Reply #1042 on: February 17, 2016, 12:08:16 AM »
I got lost at Tequila!!!. Now I'm done for the day :evil:

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1043 on: February 17, 2016, 12:37:44 AM »
Mike, tequila is a clear vodka like booze made from fermented cactus.  In the old days there was a grub worm in the bottom of the bottle.  Of course, after you drank all of the bottle it was no big deal to swallow the worm.   

Offline tauruck

« Reply #1044 on: February 17, 2016, 01:11:11 AM »
I know worms called Jose, Xavier, Pedro et al. I am without doubt the tequila champion on this forum. :evil:
I even had a Moslem guy bring me a bottle from Mexico City. :cheers: :-D

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #1045 on: February 17, 2016, 07:30:06 AM »

Rex

Rex!!

This is so ON!!!    This is on my "bucket list".     I love the way tequila "helps" my memory.

I'll bring chips and salsa if I can eavesdrop.   :-D

Any and all will be welcome.   Who is in for the guacamole?

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Fordboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #1046 on: February 17, 2016, 11:34:53 AM »
FB said:   "...Who is in for the guacamole?"

I didn't know we could talk about stuff like that on this forum.  If you wanna -- go ahead, I'll just make sure the filters know what to expect. :roll:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Rex Schimmer

« Reply #1047 on: February 17, 2016, 01:41:26 PM »
It's starting to sound like a party at the Midget pits. We'll do it right after the Midget goes 135!!! (Or not)

Rex
Rex

Offline tauruck

« Reply #1048 on: February 18, 2016, 01:12:24 AM »
You guys are kiillling me. :-D :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline Kiwi Paul

« Reply #1049 on: February 19, 2016, 12:38:49 AM »
Hey Mike...Don`t worry, when the `Salt Story Summit` gets a formal schedule, I`ll just swing by and pick you up....... :-D :-D