Author Topic: Mid- Engine Modified Sports  (Read 787949 times)

Offline Peter Jack

Re: Mid- Engine Modified Sports
« Reply #1020 on: February 09, 2016, 05:46:30 PM »
I worked with a guy on Indy cars that had worked for Team McLaren both in Can-Am and Indy cars. He always said if you were buying a used Can-Am McLaren you were much better off buying an ex team car. Apparently Trojan built all the bare chassis but then the team got the bare chassis and built then up from there while the customer cars were all put together by Trojan. The advantage of the team cars were they were all put together by the mechanics who had to work on them and everything was assembled for ease of repair and maintenance while the customer cars were put together in the quickest way possible.

Neil, We usually refer to what you're going through as experience. We've all been there. Forethought never seems to be 100%.  :x :x :roll:

Pete

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1021 on: February 09, 2016, 10:18:08 PM »
Chris;

Unfortunately the new 2-groove pulley is only slightly smaller than the one that's on there now. I'd sacrifice that thing in a minute if that solved the problem! This is one problem that is peculiar to a mid-engine configuration- the cockpit rear bulkhead is right ahead of the pulleys. At least my starter is easily accessible.  :-D

Pete;

Anyone who buys a race car without taking it apart and reassembling it is asking for trouble. We tore Bob Peckham's M8C apart every 2nd race and inspected everything for wear & cracks. That's one reason we never had a DNF.

It wasn't forethought-- I wasn't thinking at all.  :-(

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #1022 on: February 09, 2016, 10:31:27 PM »
The teardown and reassembly should definitely be part of routine maintenance. The advantage of the team mechanics putting the car together was that they got to mount all the ancillaries where they wanted and they could modify the chassis where they wanted.

Even back in 1979 we were required to provide fresh magnaflux for the suspension and crack tests for the wheels before every 500 mile race.

Pete

Offline tauruck

« Reply #1023 on: February 09, 2016, 10:33:00 PM »
I was lucky enough to be able to pull the Mazda Rotary in about 35 minutes.
Easier than trying to remove individual components. Mid engine projects can be
a big problem. We had 4 bolts and you'd get the engine and gearbox off the chassis.
Neil you're right about stripping and reassembling a bought car. The guy I bought my first F2
car from took off all the "good stuff" before delivery. :evil:

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1024 on: February 12, 2016, 07:01:32 PM »
All of the push-lock fittings & hose have now been delivered and now I have made a few hoses for my fuel system. The fuel is drawn from a pickup in the fuel cell, through a large filter into the Carter electric fuel pump. Out of the pump it passes through a 10u filter and into a fuel log. Here is the filter setup; they are mounted on a removable aluminum panel near the right side of the engine.

These filters are big so there should be little pressure drop across them.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #1025 on: February 13, 2016, 01:32:48 AM »
Good quality components there Neil and beautifully assembled.

Pro job as expected!!! :cheers: :cheers:

Offline DND

« Reply #1026 on: February 13, 2016, 10:27:48 PM »
Peter Jack

Another plus buying a ex team car was they was full of ' Trick Bits ' they had made during the year, that the factory car did not have so you would be a year ahead of the other guys buying the factory race cars

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #1027 on: February 13, 2016, 11:10:05 PM »
Peter Jack

Another plus buying a ex team car was they was full of ' Trick Bits ' they had made during the year, that the factory car did not have so you would be a year ahead of the other guys buying the factory race cars

That was so true. We were spoiled to live through that era. Racing has never been so good as when Can Am, Trans Am and Formula 5000 were at their peak. Pro racing was almost affordable and the competition was first class.

Pete

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1028 on: February 15, 2016, 07:10:53 PM »
I had some openings into the cockpit from the front wheel wells that needed to be closed; otherwise a dust or salt storm would occur at speed. I cut out templates from light cardboard and transferred those to 1/8" plastic sheet. This stuff is polyethylene, used on sprint cars for body panels, etc. It is waterproof, resists rocks, is available in may colors, and is cheap- about $2 a foot in rolls.

I found that aviation tin snips were good tools to cut it and a heat gun allowed it to be formed a little. It drills easily and self-tapping screws make it easy to remove when necessary. I used some yellow plastic to match my chassis color and some black to match my body gelcoat.

It's a little hard to see what's what in this picture but since the front right brake disk is visible it may make sense.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #1029 on: February 15, 2016, 07:43:24 PM »
I absolutely hate seeing screws of any sort used on a race car. Sooner or later one of them inevitably ends up in someone's expensive tire. In an application like that I'd use cheap hardware store aluminum pop rivets. They're easy to drill out and replace and they hold just fine in that sort of application. JMOHO  :-D :-D :-D

Pete

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1030 on: February 15, 2016, 07:44:58 PM »
The people who "sweep" the course from time to time at Bonneville or El Mirage constantly find self tapping screws on the track. A few competitors find them in there really expensive AND sometimes hard to get LSR tires. If you can use rivets or some other semi-permanent fastener your fellow racers would appreciate it, no matter who's car its on.

:cheers:    
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1031 on: February 15, 2016, 07:46:08 PM »
PJ beat me too it... Enough said.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1032 on: February 15, 2016, 08:26:41 PM »
Good point, guys-- I'll replace them with rivets.

Offline DND

« Reply #1033 on: February 16, 2016, 08:47:13 AM »
When I built my 37' gasser in 61' I used #4 machine screws - nuts and lock washers to hold the alum firewall etc together, at 22 yrs old and my first car I thought it would be fine [ like they say I learned the hard way ]

Well after the first day half of the screws were gone, and like the other guy said in went the pop-rivets and not a one ever came out

With the engine mounted solid lots of ' Cool Vibes ' going on that you don't think about till after things happen

DND
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 10:25:16 AM by DND »

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #1034 on: February 16, 2016, 08:55:55 AM »
When I built my 37' gasser I used #4 machine screws - nuts and lock washers to hold the alum firewall etc together, at 22 yrs old and my first car I thought it would be fine [ like they say I learned the hard way ]

Well after the first day half of the screws were gone, and like the other guy said in went the pop-rivets and not a one ever came out

With the engine mounted solid lots of ' Cool Vibes ' going on that you don't think about till after things happen

DND

It's why airplanes are riveted (and bonded . . . ) together for most structure(s).

I won't use "lock washers" or self tapping screws anymore.    Not even for the trailer . . . . .

:cheers:
Fordboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein