Author Topic: Some noob questions  (Read 3244 times)

Offline ShawnT

• New folks
Some noob questions
« on: June 08, 2008, 09:43:07 AM »
Hey everyone. Names Shawn. I'll be attending the june 28-29 meet and this will be the first time I've ever been to maxton. I hoping to get there sometime friday morning. Do alot of people camp at the track? I don't have enough cash to get a hotel and would like to just stay there.  Also, I'm going to be there by myself and was wondering how safe my stuff will be? Can I just set up camp and not worry about anyone stealing something while I'm off making a run, or do I need to find a way to lock everything up? I'm hoping to have a great time, it looks like a blast.  Any other advise you guys/gals may have would be greatly appreciated.
Shawn
86 mustang

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Some noob questions
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 10:18:52 AM »
Shawn:

Welcome to this group of -- mmn, what should I call us, unh, enthusiasts.  We look forward to you visiting us at Maxton in a couple of weeks.

Lots of folks camp at the track.  Get there early if you want to get an area where there's some shade -- and maybe some bugs, too.  If you camp in the grassy infield there's no shade but plenty of fire ants.  Take your pick!  There's a water hydrant on the access road, but I don't know how "potable" it is, so bring your own to be safe.  As for security -- uh, we don't lock our stuff when we leave for the evening.  A:  Lots of folks are camping there and keep an eye on each other and everyone's stuff -- an outside sneaking around sticks out like a F1 racing team at the mud drags.  There are always folks moving about in the pit area during the event -- and I don't think I've ever heard of someone's stuff being stolen.  Borrowed, maybe -- but it really is borrowed.  It'll come back, usually much quicker than you expected it to -- and if it's something that's that important to your racing efforts it'll either not leave your pit -- or there'll be a note saying who took it, where it is, and when it'll be back.  We're a good bunch of folks that enjoy helping out one another.

Bring sunscreen and every bit of hot weather protective gear you've got -- cooler with ice, cool suit/iced neck-wrap, wide-brimmed hat, salt tablets (if you use them).  The June event us usually, of course, the hottest event of the year.  A good thing about that, though, is the heat reduces the number of competitors somewhat so you'll have more chances to make runs.  And remember that this is the event we call "The Bonneville Tune-up" (it's the last one before everyone heads out west), so you should have a good chance to see some fantastic bikes and cars (better than usual -- always are fantastic vehicles at Maxton).

Inspection begins on Friday (as soon as other set-up duties are done), so if you're there you can get started with having your car all approved and ready to run early.  There's a rookie orientation Friday late afternoon -- go to that so you can get running early Saturday morning.  Runs start around 10AM (as soon as the fire truck/ambulance/safety crew arrives and Keith has one last diet Coke).

You're going to have a ball, Shawn.  We look forward to meeting you soon.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline ShawnT

• New folks
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 01:22:38 PM »
Good deal, thanks for the feedback.  :-)
Shawn
86 mustang

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2008, 06:40:36 PM »
Shawn,

While it is aways handy to have everything needed at hand there is no need to over pack on items you "just might need".   Laurinburg is not that far away and has at least 3 auto parts stores, a Lowe's, and a Wal Mart for any last min needs that fellow racers might not be able to help you with.

Heck, we even had a spectator [total stranger] help bail us out on a minor problem we had last meet.  Like Slim said, "good bunch of folks".

Ed  Purinton

Offline Rick Roberts

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 07:59:51 PM »
Shawn, A lot of people camp at the track [free] so you don't have to worry about the security of your stuff. Like Slim said, outsiders stick out so there is never a problem with losing stuff. I stay in town but leave my bike and trailer at the track because i know it's safer there than at the hotel. Welcome.
ECTA 200 Club

Offline t russell

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 10:42:25 PM »
Welcome and stuff is safe at the track. I ?we know where to get rid of the bodys of those who dont respect others :-D.

Offline ShawnT

• New folks
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 07:40:35 AM »
It's good to know there's some parts stores and stuff around, hopefully I won't need them  :-)
Shawn
86 mustang

Offline Dan Stokes

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2008, 10:39:43 AM »
Hi and welcome, Shawn!

It's a pretty rough crowd, but they all have hearts of gold.  Well, maybe except for Seldom Seen Slim, but he's just WEIRD.  I think it's a genetic defect, and he IS harmless.  As others have said, your stuff is more than safe, and anyone will help you in any way they can.

In my official job as Volunteer Coordinator (I got the job because I'm the only one who can spell it - and I can't run very fast), let me invite you and/or any team members you may drag along to pitch in.  We always need more hands, and we'd like to have enough folks so that everyone can roam the track a bit and not be stuck all day at a particular station.  No special qualifications needed - we'll train.  If we can train Al the Starter, we can train ANYONE!  It's helpful if you can let us know ahead of time so we can plan the work day a bit.  We especially need folks to help on Sunday, taking everything down and packing up - everything but the tower has to go, as this is an active airport.

Thanks and Welcome
Dan
Wilmington, NC - by the sea

ECTA idiot, Bonneville volunteer

Offline ShawnT

• New folks
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2008, 11:16:32 AM »
I'll be more than happy to help any way I can. I'm probably going to be there by myself. My father may come but I'm not sure. I'm planning on getting there friday around 11 am, providing nothing goes wrong.
Shawn
86 mustang