Author Topic: GT Windows and windshield - polycarb?  (Read 2414 times)

Offline Carl Johansson

GT Windows and windshield - polycarb?
« on: June 07, 2008, 10:45:21 PM »
so for safety reasons i would like to replace the side windows and the front window in my GT car.  But according to 5E.3 (in last years rule book) The stock windshield may not be removed or lowered.
so am I screwed?  I wanted to do with Lexan and a couple of ernhardt bars.

and also in the same section it references that the  windows must be retained in the stock location and of the same year.

so am I also screwed there?  I'm not looking for any advantage -  I'm just looking to make the ride safer -  and not have the issue of glass flying everywhere in an unfortunate situation!

So -  can anyone enlighten me>  Dan -  oh sage seer and revelator -  can you provide me with divine guidance?

Carl Johansson
Carl Johansson
 Auberry Ca

Randy Williams

Re: GT Windows and windshield - polycarb?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 10:59:10 PM »
Carl, 
       for your side windows I would try a film tint. This stuff saved me from a sure disaster one night on the way home from work when some jerk tried to throw a brick through the side window of my truck. I could,nt hear for a day or two put of my right ear,but the brick did not go through the window and almost no glass in the truck.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 11:57:45 PM »
I believe they are talking about open cars removing or lowering the windscreen. I would bet that Lexan would be looked upon with great favor. But that's just my thought. Page 71 6th sentance in 5.E 2008 book.

Offline Carl Johansson

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2008, 12:06:13 AM »
Carl, 
       for your side windows I would try a film tint. This stuff saved me from a sure disaster one night on the way home from work when some jerk tried to throw a brick through the side window of my truck. I could,nt hear for a day or two put of my right ear,but the brick did not go through the window and almost no glass in the trucK

Ow - that sucks man!,
I already have film -  and rules call for film - thats not the issue. The film requirement came about after course workers were spending alot of time trying to pick up the glass "gravel" after a window got shattered (rollover or blowout).  -  before they had the 2 inch lateral head stuff -  it would be easy to shatter a window with your helmet during a spin!   I think Lexan is safer, and it's certianly stronger,  and every major race organization requires lexan for most of their stuff.  I just don't want to show up with Lexan, be fortunate enough to set a record -  and have it disallowed because I used Lexan in place of Glass windows and windscreen!
Carl Johansson
 Auberry Ca

Offline Carl Johansson

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 12:08:31 AM »
I believe they are talking about open cars removing or lowering the windscreen. I would bet that Lexan would be looked upon with great favor. But that's just my thought. Page 71 6th sentance in 5.E 2008 book.

Thanks Rich,
I'll check it out -  I'm working off my 07 rule book -  my 08 one is down at the office.  I know they generally like Lexan -  but don't know if they are specifically excluding GT cars - in their attempt to keep it a "stock " class.
Carl Johansson
Carl Johansson
 Auberry Ca

Offline RichFox

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 12:16:45 AM »
Well look at page 68 second paragraph. Tell them your sure it's going over 275 if they ask you.