Author Topic: Bill Burke/Clarke Cagle streamliner  (Read 59990 times)

Ratliff

Bill Burke/Clarke Cagle streamliner
« on: June 07, 2008, 05:39:17 PM »

Built during the same period as the smaller Fred Larsen car, there are many similarities between the two cars.

Offline aircap

Re: Bill Burke/Clarke Cagle streamliner
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 12:08:30 AM »
Man, that is a beautiful car! Somewhere in my albums I have a postcard of the car in black & white on the salt.
"Act your age, not your shoe size". - Prince

Offline jl222

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 12:50:17 AM »
   Is the car still around?

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2008, 10:20:42 AM »
Nope, it crashed and destroyed the car. Driver was hurt but ok.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Ratliff

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 10:52:01 AM »
Nope, it crashed and destroyed the car. Driver was hurt but ok.

Damn.

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 12:26:38 PM »
The cover of the June 1965 issue of HOT ROD Magazine showed Bill Burke dropping
a Chrysler Hemi with a crank-driven blower into the engine bay of his latest creation, a
Bonneville streamliner targeted for 300 mph. (Photographer Eric Rickman captured the
classic garage scene.)  Burke was a hot rodding pioneer. He virtually invented the belly-
tank lakester back in the ‘40s and was also one of HOT ROD’s early ad managers. Inside the mag Dick Wells’ feature on the new ‘liner included a retrospective on Burke’s career, which even then was already long and storied.

jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Ratliff

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 09:31:18 AM »
When you look at some of the current streamliners that are considered more "modern", it just seems to me that if someone wanted to go 425 mph with an injected 673 cubic inch Arias big block Chevy Engine, they could eliminate frontal area and a lot of bumps, protuberances, and sudden changes in cross-section by going with a streamliner like Bill Burke's.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2008, 10:01:29 AM »
Frank, move toward the present, nobody wants to go 425, the target is 500, several have already gone 425.  Most modern streamliners don't have protuberances or sudden cross sectional changes.  Maybe you should analyze the modern streamliners instead of the old ones.  While we all love LSR history, it is how we got here, we also love LSR future.

Slim, Thinking we need a LSR History section on the website.  This would give everyone with historical info and pictures a place to post them.  All you old timers have pictures, some have lots of pictures.  It would be kind of like build diaries in reverse...  :roll:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Ratliff

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2008, 10:09:16 AM »
Frank, move toward the present, nobody wants to go 425, the target is 500, several have already gone 425.  Most modern streamliners don't have protuberances or sudden cross sectional changes.  Maybe you should analyze the modern streamliners instead of the old ones.  While we all love LSR history, it is how we got here, we also love LSR future.

Slim, Thinking we need a LSR History section on the website.  This would give everyone with historical info and pictures a place to post them.  All you old timers have pictures, some have lots of pictures.  It would be kind of like build diaries in reverse...  :roll:

www.nishmotorsports.com

They've put a ton of money and effort into becoming the first team since the Summers brothers to go 400 mph with an injected car.

When you look at cars like Goldenrod and Immerso's Thunderbird in comparison to what's being done now, one wonders whether some of today's teams understand the aerodynamic benefits of keeping the injectors low profile.

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,4016.0.html

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,3979.45.html

« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 10:46:06 AM by Ratliff »

Offline aircap

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2008, 05:07:38 PM »
Valid points, Franklin - but SSC didn't fit most "aero" rules, but 2 monster engines hammered Andy past the barrier.

What did Arfons say of the SSC? "It's ugly, but the faster it went, the better it looked. Now it's beautiful". (I paraphrase)
"Act your age, not your shoe size". - Prince

Ratliff

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2008, 05:24:25 PM »
Valid points, Franklin - but SSC didn't fit most "aero" rules, but 2 monster engines hammered Andy past the barrier.

What did Arfons say of the SSC? "It's ugly, but the faster it went, the better it looked. Now it's beautiful". (I paraphrase)

There was a whole lot of hammering going on with Thrust SSC. The car was hammering the ground. The shockwaves were hammering the belly pan. The afterburners were hammering the body panels.

Blown Alcohol 57tbird

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2009, 07:44:10 PM »

Built during the same period as the smaller Fred Larsen car, there are many similarities between the two cars.

Ratliff

This is the streamliner I seen in Hot Rod Magazine a few months ago it had the blower mounted off the crankshaft. That blower mounted like that I seen in the Drag Racing history some dragsters had the same deal. My question the blower being mounted off the crankshaft does in fact eliminate the drag of a regular blower drive? Thus gaining in HP? I would like your opinion if passable

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2009, 08:04:20 PM »
Jim, that's an old post of FR's.  He's no longer a member of this Forum and therefore may not read what you've asked him.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Blown Alcohol 57tbird

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2009, 08:11:46 PM »
Jim, that's an old post of FR's.  He's no longer a member of this Forum and therefore may not read what you've asked him.

Jon

Thats to bad I seen a lot of his work through the ALSR and LSR his knowledge at hand is amazing very technical and to the fact

Offline DrofRockology

• my blog
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2009, 08:21:40 PM »
Thats to bad I seen a lot of his work through the ALSR and LSR his knowledge at hand is amazing very technical and to the fact

you'd make great teammates!

i see a partnership in the making.
gregory w. gillette
aka: monty wolf (not monte wolfe)

"fear is never boring!"

read all about it: http://montywolf.blogspot.com/