Author Topic: 267 mph small block Chevy bike liner  (Read 8677 times)

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Re: 267 mph small block Chevy bike liner
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2008, 12:00:22 PM »
..................For those who have said there are fewer young people involved and believe that cost is the prohibiter, this could be a solution.............

I really doubt it would be a cost saver for a builder.  It sounds like it, but I'll bet I can build/buy a motor cheaper now by picking the appropriate class than I could a spec motor and then what you would get is someone would still have mega bucks to put into the rest of the car for that little bitty edge that might get them the record and you would still only have one record holder in the class.

You can build a bike cheap now and compete, maybe not get a record, but get out there and then start building on that.  You can also build a car cheap, but the safety equipment since you need more is where the real cost can come in and you would still need the expense of that same safety equipment with a spec car. 

Actually lsr is probably one of the cheaper motor-sports that someone can jump into.

c ya,

Sum

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2008, 03:34:44 PM »
Sum,  I need to find the Cheap way you suggest !!  I just finished my car, it was "from scratch" starting with not one single existing part.  (you saw some of the build progess and a few of the recent finished pics) Still a work in progress  but for sure not cheap (unless we have differant definitions of cheap).. Now if someone has a platform to build from, I would agree..

Just my opinion...

But I am hooked on this LSR stuff and I am in the early stages of the next car...man this is fun...

Charles

ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2008, 03:42:13 PM »
I have not kept track of what I have spent this year,on purpose. But i bought a bike, built a slightly modified motor for production class, motor was seriously blown up when I got the bike. Bought a trailer and all the stuff a first timer has to get and I think I have spent somewhere in the neighborhood of 12,000 bucks. lots of the expenses are one time only. Thats not bad. For next year all I have to do is build a 220 hp motor. :-D

Fred
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2008, 06:49:39 PM »
Actually lsr is probably one of the cheaper motor-sports that someone can jump into.

I agree.  And I've been mulling over my last post for a few days.  I suspect that if a spec class with sponsorship could be put together, given as thin as most LSR sanctioning organizations (volunteers) are spread, nobody would be interested in putting the extra push behind it, and I wouldn't blame them.

It would require a completely separate sanctioning body that was willing to work around everyone else's scheduling, a sponsor with something to gain from a questionable promotional effort, and a commitment from that sponsor that wouldn't leave potential competitors caught up short with a half-completed car and a cancelled event.

Yep - that potato ain't done yet . . .
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll: