Author Topic: 267 mph small block Chevy bike liner  (Read 8670 times)

Ratliff

267 mph small block Chevy bike liner
« on: June 07, 2008, 09:44:44 AM »

Stormy Mangham's Big John

page 1

Ratliff

Re: 267 mph small block Chevy bike liner
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 09:49:42 AM »

page 2

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 10:15:49 PM »
FFRANKLIN- Thanks for finally expressing an OPINION -   specifically that "Ol Stormy" was ahead of his time and must have been a soothsayer of Landspeed MC record shapes (maybe he had a Ouija (sp) board).

COME ON!- all of 'em look like goldfish without the side fins- be real!

Better believe that the Honda Hawk, for its time, had a LOT of engineering in it. I'll betcha "Ol Sormy" was just guessing!

I'll gurantee you that the one I was in volved in back in '72 was a LOT of guesswork!.
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Ratliff

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2008, 10:29:55 AM »
FFRANKLIN- Thanks for finally expressing an OPINION -   specifically that "Ol Stormy" was ahead of his time and must have been a soothsayer of Landspeed MC record shapes (maybe he had a Ouija (sp) board).

Better believe that the Honda Hawk, for its time, had a LOT of engineering in it. I'll betcha "Ol Sormy" was just guessing!

I'll gurantee you that the one I was in volved in back in '72 was a LOT of guesswork!.

"Big John" provided the rider good visibility, deficiencies in both the Harley liner in which Cal Rayborn set the 265 mph official record and in the Honda Hawk. "Big John" also used an extended flattened tailcone, much like Ack Attack's,  in place of the high tail fin on the Honda Hawk. Over forty years later, the silhouette of "Big John" is still very contemporary when compared to current bike liners such as Ack Attack.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 10:32:05 AM by Ratliff »

Ratliff

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2008, 10:42:20 AM »

Mangham created the modern motorcycle streamliner.

High Gear

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 05:32:49 PM »
Jack Costello has created the modern motorcycle streamliner

#5050 or #7070, take your choice.

Ratliff

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 07:16:43 PM »
Jack Costello has created the modern motorcycle streamliner

#5050 or #7070, take your choice.

Good point.

It would have been more accurate for me to say "...what WAS for many years the modern motorcycle streamliner."

Offline bvld

• New folks
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2008, 05:00:47 PM »
Where's Jack?  Anyone have a picture of Jack Costello's super low yellow streamliner?

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2008, 05:55:32 PM »
It is one thing to put lots of motor (boost or spray) into car or bike and make it go fast....lets face it....there are even some fast roadsters out there (not really known for aeros).

For whatever its worth I would like to see a design competition that all competitors had to use the identical power plants and fuel (zero ability to mod the motor).

The fastest would be the best design...not who could spend the most on pumping HP.
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

dwarner

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2008, 08:07:22 PM »
See any IRL race.

DW

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2008, 08:09:53 PM »
For whatever its worth I would like to see a design competition that all competitors had to use the identical power plants and fuel (zero ability to mod the motor).

The fastest would be the best design...not who could spend the most on pumping HP.

A spec motor class for LSR - that's a great concept - kind of like IROC, Formula V or Formula Ford, but with restrictions taken off of the chassis.

For those who have said there are fewer young people involved and believe that cost is the prohibiter, this could be a solution.  

The problem I see is motor sourcing and verification.  But let's expand on that idea a bit, and try to make such a class as fair as possible.

Start with a cheap, easy to build engine that can be mass produced by a reputable shop - they would be the source of all engines in the class and would have to be built and verified as identical, then sealed.  All racers in this class would have to buy from this supplier and no modifications would be allowed.  

The builder has a free hand in the design, and builds the car however he/she sees fit following safety parameters in keeping with the existing rules.

If it got too popular, I could see where a separate weekend event away from the scheduled ones might be possible - or rotate the events between Texas, Maxton, Elmo and Bonneville - a championship series?

Make 'em small enough, and perhaps some other old airstrips might be able to be included throughout the country.  Bring LSR to the heartland?

A sponsor - the Flying Kia Kilometer series?

Hmmm . . . a little off topic, but does anyone else think it could work?

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2008, 08:54:13 PM »
I'm not sure LSR is for you guys................. :cry:

Innovation, in all aspects of the sport. It's man against machine & the clock.
Money does not guarantee a record by anymeans.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2008, 09:29:34 PM »
Huh?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2008, 09:31:15 PM »
Our amplification is differsication.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Freud

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2008, 10:20:43 PM »
Stan, Did Jack send you that quote?

FREUD

Since '63