Author Topic: Steering Dampeners???  (Read 3260 times)

Offline isiahstites

Steering Dampeners???
« on: June 05, 2008, 10:32:26 AM »
Can anyone offer up there thoughts on a good dampener for my bike? I am currently running a stock one off of 06' GSXR and I do feel it is sufficent to do the job and want to upgrade to an aftermarket dampener.

thanks,
Scott

racin jason

Re: Steering Dampeners???
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 11:51:11 AM »
stock damper filled with 80/90 gear oil works well.
Is your damper too close to the stem centerline to work properly?

Offline ol38y

• When all else fails, gas it!
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 12:15:56 PM »
I think that is probably the biggest problem with Scott's dampner. The geometry is pretty severe. Just my opinion. But, with a 15 deg. lock they're almost moot...

Larry
Larry Cason
Bakersfield,CA    It's a dry heat!

2010 BUB 1350 M-PG record
2012 Speedweek  1350 A-PG record 169.975
2014 El Mirage Dry Lake  1350 A-PG  172.651

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 07:40:19 PM »

Possibly, however I want a good dampener on there. I would prefer to have one that attaches to the fork tube.

Scott

Offline willieworld

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 09:07:01 PM »
scott  if you go to the build diaries and look on sheris build you will see some clip ons and a bracket that goes on the fork tube for the damper --its a suzuki damper that i filled with 50 wt oil --easy to empty hard to fill--- seringe-- get all of the air out  sorry about the spelling   willie buchta   

sorry scott its under brackets and other fun stuff in the build diaries    willie
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 09:13:51 PM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Super Kaz

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 09:13:04 AM »
Scott,
CYCLE GEAR USA sells a bunch of different Fork Tube Diameter & Rod Lengths dampener's to fit anything 8 :-o!
I Have had pretty good Luck with them,and they won't Break$$$Your Bank  :wink:!
I moved it from 1 side to the other,and it seems to be OK for now.
Not sure what the part # is fr your setup,but get you fork tube diameter and measure the length it needs to me mounted too.Then they can look it up for ya and have it in 1-2 days :-D!
Tell'm I referred ya 8-)
Kaz..............
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 09:22:13 AM by Super Kaz »

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2008, 02:41:33 AM »

Jason do you know what the stock oil weight is??

Scott

Offline V8Pinto

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2008, 12:05:21 PM »
It's gotta be 10wt or similar and there's only about a spoonful in it - if that.  I swapped my oil out to 90wt hypoid before the last meet.  I was kinda shocked to see how little stock oil came out.  Filling it was a PAIN but well worth the effort.  It's a subtle difference, but one that is everpresent.  The white Busa is my daily driver/racer and on the street the 90wt oil made a huge difference.  From an LSR perspective, there isn't really anything to improve handling wise on the Busa but it did!

To fill, I used one of those plastic cones from a master cylinder bench bleed kit and some clear plastic tubing that I matched to the 90wt oil bottle.  I squeezed the bottle while moving the plunger back and forth and did that until the plunger felt smoooooth all the way through.  I takes three hands but I did it with two.  Quite a feat when you figure in simultaneously drinking coffee and changing the tv from speed to history channels.  (I sure miss beer). 
Shane
V8 Pinto on juice
Hayabusa on the brain
Twin-Turbo F150 4x4