Author Topic: Best ZR tires for motorcycles?  (Read 3905 times)

Offline isiahstites

Best ZR tires for motorcycles?
« on: June 05, 2008, 10:30:32 AM »
Hey guys, I am looking to see what you guys think the best ZR rated mc tires are for racing at Bonneville and El Mirage? I know there are a lot of different brands of tires out there to choose from, but was curious if you have found any that work better than others. Have you found any brand to be any lighter than another to cut down on rotating mass?? Please tell me any of your thoughts on this subject.

thank you,
Scott
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 07:40:56 PM by isiahstites »

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
Re: Best ZR tires for motorcycles?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 12:39:37 PM »
Scott,

Tell him? or you..

John

PS you may want to note what rim diameter and width along with expected speed however any ZR rated tire from a Busa, ZX-12 or 14 would work great as long as we are talking about ELMO or BONNE..

J

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 04:04:22 PM »
Scott, I call Nate Jones (Cowboy Tires, in the rulebook) and ask him for my tires.  He sells a few brands -- will give you a decent price when you're ordering - assuming you'll have him shave and gyro balance the tire at the same time.  I don't know if there's any one brand that's "best" -- I've used Dunlop and Metzler and Bridgestone and found no big difference.  The tread pattern doesn't matter.  As John said -- most likely what came as stock on one of the big bikes will work just fine for you.  Remember that the inspectors check for date of manufacture -- tires cannot be more than ten years old (unless they're branded as "racing only").  Make sure your tires are not outdated.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline willieworld

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 04:36:08 PM »
scott  what size do you need   willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline stay`tee

• "Kawasaki ZX12 Turbocharged"
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 06:45:40 PM »
i used a 17/190/55 metzler racetec (soft), and it chuncked real bad, have been told and agree that the touring compounds are the best to use, so  now have a dunlop sportmax (touring) fitted, however havent had a chance to prove it yet 8-)
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 07:10:26 PM »
Someone with many 200+ runs told me to run a hard tire, Bridgestone as good as any, and put some street miles on it if possible. I got a new Bridgestone bt-56, plan to try and put 200+ miles on it and the motor.
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2008, 09:53:09 PM »
Hey guys the sizes I need are as followed:

Front - 120-70-17 ZR
Rear - 170-70-17 ZR

Slim, Do you have any idea what he charges for a set of newly shaved tires?? I don't know if I need shaved tires as in my current class the most the bike will ever see will be in the 180 mph park +/- and if I ever go to a fuel class it will be around 200 and below.

Thanks guys,
Scott

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2008, 10:22:19 PM »
Scott.

PM sent.

J

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2008, 10:21:45 AM »
Scott -- I'll assume the PM that Jon N. sent you discusses tire costs and such.  Just in case -- I remember about $350 for a new 190/55 for the ZX12R - sourced, shaved, balanced, nitrogen-filled, and shipped.  No need to shave the front -- just the drive tire.  As for your speeds -- that, I'm sorry to say, doesn't mean much -- it's the speed of the record in your class that determines what safety-related items apply to you.

Regards,
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2008, 12:03:58 PM »
Thanks Slim!

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2008, 12:21:38 AM »
i used a 17/190/55 metzler racetec (soft), and it chuncked real bad, have been told and agree that the touring compounds are the best to use, so  now have a dunlop sportmax (touring) fitted, however havent had a chance to prove it yet 8-)

I ahve the Sportmax's on the bike now and they were the tires that were on the donor bike when I bought it, they are worn and I need a new set. I have only had them up to 168 once so I really do not have any feedback.

What do you guys think of the Dunlop 208's?? John N I know we spoke of these and I think you liked them but I am not 100% sure.

Scott