Author Topic: Retro  (Read 5168 times)

Offline rockstar

Retro
« on: June 04, 2008, 05:52:44 PM »
Hi There.
I have read recently a lot of stuff about Ratliff,both good and some not so good,it seems to me that he has a lot of information to share,from where i do not know nor do i care,but the sharing of this info can only be good for this great sport,it is your heritage,your legacy to all that comes into this sport and want to learn.
So why not give him somewhere to share this info,you could call it retro,history or rattlif's rantings,thing is it could all be in one place for them that want it and those that do not,then do not go there,i for one would as i love the history behind LSR.

Just my pounds worth!

David
Remember Murphy's 6th law,if all goes well,then you have missed something out.

Team Sparrow Racing UK

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Retro
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 09:59:31 AM »
Hello, there, boys and girls and all the ships at sea.  It's Seldom Seen Slim, your tired head handlebar holder with a few words -- of wisdom, of chatter -- whatever.

It's about Mr. Ratliff and his posts.  First of all -- I'm tired because Nancy and I spent a few days driving to and from eastern Pennsylvania earlier this week.  During that trip I had some time and looked through a few books on copyright rules and such -- and have come to the decision that when any of you -- Franklin Ratliff included -- post entire pages of copied books, articles, or whatever -- it's probably legally okay.  That is, as long as it is not likely to be detrimental to the potential market for the work (i.e., because you saw it here you will not need to go buy a copy for yourself), as long as it is for non-profit educational purposes, and a bunch of other stuff.  So it's legally okay.  But --

I would be really happy if you didn't take up pages and pages of the topic du jour and post this kind of stuff -- put it elsewhere and let those who might want to see it go find it.  Let's see -- how do we do that?  Unh, I'll soon invent a whole new section for this -- maybe I'll call it "History and research and other long-posts that don't need to be right in front of everyone" or maybe I'll find a long and boring title for the section.  If Mr. Ratliff or any of you feel it's needful to post pages of text -- put 'em in that section.  If the stuff you want to post happens to be relevant to a topic that's being actively discussed -- post the long text in the "History..." section and put a note in the topic under discussion -- a note saying "go to the "History..." section to see a long and maybe boring dissertation relating to this topic". Not a link -- a note.  Got that?  A link might end up being an invitation for your computer to put the whole danged thing on the post, and we wouldn't be any better off.  JUST A NOTE TELLING FOLKS WHERE TO LOOK!!!!!

I want to promote active and entertaining discussion on this site.  There have been lots of words in favor of Mr. Ratliff's presence -- and many that don't want it.  The result -- I've got to invent a new rule and a new category.  So -- Ratliff (note that I've dropped the honorific) has made this site a little less open than before by putting more stuff up here than is welcome.  Now everyone has to follow the new rule - sorry.  I'll have to be kind of cruel here and say that if I (or any of the moderators -- you folks are welcome to do this, too) see any full-page posts that should be in the new section -- zoom 'em off to there.  You're welcome to leave a note saying where the stuff went, or if you don't -- well, fine.  But when there's a full page -- somebody, including me, should make it go away to "History..." as quickly as possible.  That's likely to train us all to post the stuff where it belongs.

I'll ask us all to live by this policy for a while -- maybe a week or two.  If it works, fine, we've sort of fixed a problem.  If it doesn't, and anyone -- especially Mr. Ratliff -- continues to post long copies of published works -- I'll block that poster so he can't post anything.

That's enough for now.  I sure hope that those of you that have posted saying you'll quit using landracing.com for the time being -- will see this and accept it as a positive step towards making the site ever-more inviting to all.  Please feel free to let me know your feelings -- whether in a post here or in a note to my email address.

Deep Enough!  I'm going out to watch the paint dry on the shutters.

Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 02:16:05 PM »
Jon, it ain't easy being you, I'll try to control my rabble-rousing a little...  :roll:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline rockstar

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 06:46:59 PM »
Hi Jon.
i think your idea of a history section is a very good one as people like me that are to young to remember the way it was can catch up with the historical events/cars/people of this great sport and look forward to it avidly.

David

Team Sparrow Racing UK

Offline smitty2

• Worlds fastest miniature Pachyderm.
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 09:48:38 PM »
 WOW!  Why didn't I think of that?
 I believe a history forum page would be great :-D
 Besides building stills for a living... my other passion is history. My Father and Uncles stories about the early years of racing in the North West part of the country would fill volumes. I have stories from the "Bell Bottom Jeans, and Long Hair period"... Street racing on 82nd Ave in Portland... Flaming heads!!
Off Road racing at Millican(sp?) Valley... S.O.B.s Off Road Club...  Oh man... Don't get me started... Wait a minute... Gimmie a Beer, and I'll tell Ya what it used to be like around here! :mrgreen:

Smitty

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 10:07:33 PM »

Help -- Jon -- Help -- Jon --
Help -- Jon -- Help -- Jon --
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 12:55:27 AM »
I would be really happy if you didn't take up pages and pages of the topic du jour and post this kind of stuff

May I address this? 

I really think the key here is to develop a context for discussion, and that is the responsibility of the initial poster.  There are many texts, documents, photos, journals, records, all of which are germane to this sport/hobby.  By posting them with no questions, comments, clear point of view or offer of engagement by the poster, even the best intended posts can become akin to desk clutter.

If one starts a post on a topic, I think it's important to the reader to know why they're posting it.  Ask yourself these type of questions -

How is this pdf/jpg going to help you go faster? 

Is there something in this document that you think a member might have some insight into?

Is it just a really funny posting that you'd like to share? 

What happened that you've updated your build diary?

Questions like these provide a context to think about and discuss the interesting, esoteric and unusual, as well as the dull, mainstream and common.

Simply displaying them on this site doesn't. 

Chris
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2008, 10:27:02 AM »
I would be really happy if you didn't take up pages and pages of the topic du jour and post this kind of stuff

May I address this? 

I really think the key here is to develop a context for discussion, and that is the responsibility of the initial poster. 
Chris

And there's the crux of the situation -- that the poster should take responsibility to present material that may encourage discussion - but without overwhelming the site's visitors with more answers than necessary to questions that haven't been asked.  This has not been the case in way too many recent posts by Mr. Ratliff. 

I'm still going through the morning's posts -- haven't seen what other stuff is awaiting me.  I hope it's only good things. . .
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline smitty2

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2008, 01:36:51 PM »
Well anyway.... I thought it was a good idea...

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2008, 01:42:23 PM »
Smitty:

I agree that it's a good idea to have a history page -- no argument form me on that.  I think that I've seen others  have written that they'd enjoy it, too.  I just need to figure out how to put it here.  Remember, I'm still learning the ropes when it comes to operating this site.  And I've been unh, mmm, distracted by other stuff that's kept me from giving full attention to the technical operation of the site.
I'll get it here soon.  Still not sure what to call it -- just "History of L S R", or maybe something else?  Got any great suggestions and guidelines for what ought to go in there?

Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline rockstar

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2008, 05:05:47 PM »
Hi Jon
Seeing as yo have definite racing tracks or lanes you could call it Memory Lane.

David

Team Sparrow Racing UK

Offline smitty2

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2008, 06:05:53 PM »
 Hey Jon!
 Yea.. I can understand your position :-o You open up a door and all of the dogs run in at once!
You are doing a far better job than I could even think of doing... Keep up the good work.
 If not Speed Week, I'll see you at the Reunion.

Smitty