Author Topic: s 10 transmition  (Read 2978 times)

SALTRACER

s 10 transmition
« on: October 25, 2004, 09:05:00 PM »
Is a two wheel drive s 10 trany tough enough to run in my roadster? If so is there a certain year of s 10 that will have a better gear box as opposed to other years.  The s 10 gear box will be mated to a v 6 3.2 .

ffstorer

Re: s 10 transmition
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2004, 09:29:00 PM »
I have a Stalker V6 (e.g. Lotus 7) kit car (Brunton Automotive, Bradenton, Florida) which has a 3.4 liter 200 hp V6. I and several other builders have run the early 5 speed without problems. The builder of the kit (Dennis Brunton) has been very sucessful  Auto Crossing without transmission problems and now with a 275 hp supercharged 3.8 liter V6.

Fred

Randy Williams

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2004, 10:13:00 PM »
Here is what I plan to do with the F-body T-5 I'm picking up at Maxton this weekend. Good for 600HP/500TQ at 3300 lbs. It should be plenty strong for my Ecotec 4 banger.

http://www.g-forcetransmissions.com/tran_gt-5.asp

John Beckett

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2004, 12:51:00 PM »
Not the strongest trans to choose from. Have seen more than one break, but with some HP in front too. Bigest problem is the OD gear spread is to wide, so more than likly your little V-6 won't umph to pull the gear.

John

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2004, 01:31:00 PM »
I have been helping a racer using the GM 5-speed. Be very careful on what you have and check it out thoroghly and make sure it's what you want. V-8 and V-6 vehicles have different ratios.(go to the net and look them up) V-6's have a lower first gear and a closer split going into overdrive. We use 2nd thru 5th of a V-6 with a blown flathead . Clutch discs are defintely different, that caused us a problem for a year. Another racer using about 600 hp blew up 4 before he quit using them. Transmissions are usually the weak link most forget about because everyone thinks we are easier on them with the narrow tires...Good luck...Thanks to KT I now use a Tex Racing 4-speed OD...Worth every cent...JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

John Beckett

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2004, 05:37:00 PM »
Probaly the best deal out here is a NASCAR 4-speed, and you can get a Pocono OD, in a variety of ratios, if you need it.

Mine is a super close ratio and I love it.

John  :cool: