Author Topic: Headers through the hood?  (Read 5618 times)

Offline Gary Perkinson

Headers through the hood?
« on: October 17, 2004, 12:12:00 PM »
Hey, everyone:

I'm building an '80 Pinto wagon for the salt. If you know anything about Pintos, you know that there's not much room in the engine compartment for headers, especially with a V8 in there. My question is, is there any reason that I couldn't run a set of Zoomies up through the hood on either side of the scoop, other than having it look kind of weird?

Thanks--

Gary
LTA   G/BGALT Record (1 mile)     143.313
LTA   G/BGALT Record (1.5 mile)  148.321
LTA   F/PRO Record (1 mile)         114.668

LittleLiner

Re: Headers through the hood?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2004, 01:10:00 PM »
It depends . . .What category and class are you building for?  Anyway as I read the rule book you can have the exhaust come out anywhere except the roof in Competition Coupe and in Altered Coupe.  However in Gas Coupe the exhaust can exit only under the car or through the front fenders.  So your exhaust through the hood would not be allowed in Gas Coupe.  Your engine swap pushes you out of the Production category.  But if you were building a Production car you can't have the exhaust exit though any part of the body . . which means it would have come out from under the car.  

I am not an expert (yet) so if someone else out there sees it different please chime in . .

For me I would not want to run the exhaust out in front of the windshield anyway.  If you blow a piston it could play hell with your ability to see where you are going.  

Art

Offline Pat Kinne / Salt201

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2004, 07:09:00 PM »
Gary - As an ex-Monza racer I can attest that the headers are a hugh problem - with a small block most of us run them forward and out in front of the tires - try running a big block for some real fun - I bet some one else has more detailed info for you but this will give you an idea - P

Offline Gary Perkinson

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2004, 01:30:00 AM »
Thanks, guys. I'm planning to run the car in C/CGALT, so going through the hood with the exhaust is allowed. I've also heard that people run the exhaust out in front of the front tires, and that's probably the best route for me to go. But going through the hood just seems so much more...direct   :D   My biggest worry, actually, would be the heat produced in the header pipe, especially if I end up using a fiberglass hood. I might have to ceramic-coat the hood openings where the header pipes go through....

But if I *do* decide to go that route, check these out:

http://www.raptorfab.com/head.html

I think they're actually demolition-derby headers, and I think mud-trucks use them, too. I don't how streamlined they'd be, but they'd certainly look pretty radical sticking out of a Pinto's hood! (I guess the guy only makes these for Chevys at the moment, but maybe I could convince him to come over to the Blue Oval side just once....

Anyway, thanks for the help!

Gary   :eek:
LTA   G/BGALT Record (1 mile)     143.313
LTA   G/BGALT Record (1.5 mile)  148.321
LTA   F/PRO Record (1 mile)         114.668

Offline Pat Kinne / Salt201

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2004, 02:39:00 PM »
Gary - I would bet that your zoomies thru the hood tractor pull headers are not going to play with the Inspectors. The rule book states anywhere but the "TOP" looking down on the car from above you will be looking at the "TOP" and that includes the hood. This aside, having the headers exit in front of your face is not a good idea in an oil down situation as stated above. P