7 (18.4%)
Athol Who?
4 (10.5%)
Doesn't matter he crashed
19 (50%)
People don't crash cars, cars just crash
3 (7.9%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Author Topic: Athol Graham crash probably not his fault  (Read 31012 times)

Ratliff

Athol Graham crash probably not his fault
« on: June 01, 2008, 02:31:29 PM »
Athol Graham's crash may have been caused by his cast magnesium rear wheels disintegrating rather than anything having to do with the construction of the car or the way in which it was driven.

An article on Graham in Bonneville Racing News contained an account of how a metalurgist present at Bonneville examined fragments of Graham's rear wheels and concluded they had been improperly cast. A photo taken of the wreckage plainly shows the condition of the rear wheels.

Several years before Graham's crash, Fred Carillo had almost gotten killed at Bonneville when the cast magnesium wheels on his streamliner disintegrated.

Ratliff

Re: Athol Graham crash probably not his fault
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 10:31:10 PM »
Athol's car as it was in 1959 when he clocked 344 mph at Bonneville.

Ratliff

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008, 11:46:21 AM »
Firsthand eyewitness account of Graham's last run by Griff Borgeson. Graham was under acceleration for about 47 seconds.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 11:49:26 AM by Ratliff »

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2008, 06:13:46 PM »
Franklin, I asked you to not post any more text -- and you have gone ahead and done so anyway.  Since you started the topic you can't claim to have put this recent page up to help respond to a query by someone.  Worse still, the text is difficult to expand enough to read, so my site is potentially exposed to legal action (fair use clause notwithstanding) and simultaneously perhaps wasting the time of those that might want to read the page -- and not be able to do so.

Please -- find someplace else to post text.  If you're waiting for me to designate a history section -- keep waiting, don't post your stuff anyway while you wait.  And even once there is such a section -- I still don't want full pages on this site -- perhaps a line or two, excerpted as would be done in a critical review.

This is once.   
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Ratliff

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2008, 12:52:22 AM »
Franklin, I asked you to not post any more text -- and you have gone ahead and done so anyway.  Since you started the topic you can't claim to have put this recent page up to help respond to a query by someone.  Worse still, the text is difficult to expand enough to read, so my site is potentially exposed to legal action (fair use clause notwithstanding) and simultaneously perhaps wasting the time of those that might want to read the page -- and not be able to do so.

Please -- find someplace else to post text.  If you're waiting for me to designate a history section -- keep waiting, don't post your stuff anyway while you wait.  And even once there is such a section -- I still don't want full pages on this site -- perhaps a line or two, excerpted as would be done in a critical review.

This is once.   

I don't know what kind of legal advice you've been getting, but posting a 48 year old article written by a deceased writer and published in a defunct magazine exposes you to no legal action whatsoever. I would be much more concerned about comments made involving living people about current events.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2008, 01:14:09 AM by Ratliff »

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2008, 09:02:30 AM »
Franklin, just what part of "I asked you not to post any more text" don't you understand?  I don't need to decide if there might be legal implications -- I just need to remind you that I asked you not to post any more text.  End of subject, okay?  No more text, and please, no more whining.

I guess I'll count this one -- so -- That's twice.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Carl Johansson

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2008, 12:34:40 PM »
Ya know Slim,
In the mid 1970's the catholic schools in the Detroit area -  in an attempt to speed up highschool baseball -  went to a 3 balls 2 strike rule.  You struck out with 2 strikes!  makes one wonder if you ought to impose Catholic Highschool rules in this situation!

Just me wondering - thats all!

Carl Johansson
Carl Johansson
 Auberry Ca

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2008, 12:40:38 PM »
What would life be without some great mystery in it, Carl?  I guess you'll have to wait and see what perspires.

No, that's not the word, unh, mmm, wait and see what defrabulates.  Yeah, that's it.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2008, 12:51:14 PM »
I am just glad the site is back up.  Hate to see anymore down time because of one or a few folks who won't or can't follow the moderators "suggestions" or even the sites "rules"

Keep up the good work SSS

We appreciate what you did, do and have to go through to keep the site up and running.

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Ratliff

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2008, 01:29:06 PM »
Quotes by Robert Heinlein:

"A society that gets rid of all its troublemakers goes downhill."

"I never learned from a man who agreed with me."

"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."

"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."

"Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen."

"Logic is a feeble reed, friend. "Logic" proved that airplanes can't fly and that H-bombs won't work and that stones don't fall out of the sky. Logic is a way of saying that anything which didn't happen yesterday won't happen tomorrow."

"There is no way that writers can be tamed and rendered civilized or even cured. the only solution known to science is to provide the patient with an isolation room, where he can endure the acute stages in private and where food can be poked in to him with a stick."

"You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once."

"A generation which ignores history has no past — and no future."

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2008, 01:39:28 PM »
Franklin -- I see you've chosen to quote Robert Heinlein, my favorite science fiction author.  I've read all of his stuff -- including the book of quotes from which you've lifted the above stuff. 

My response is that 1:  Heinlein was a fiction writer; and 2:  He's dead.

Advantage Me.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Ratliff

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2008, 01:43:26 PM »
Franklin -- I see you've chosen to quote Robert Heinlein, my favorite science fiction author.  I've read all of his stuff -- including the book of quotes from which you've lifted the above stuff. 

My response is that 1:  Heinlein was a fiction writer; and 2:  He's dead.

Advantage Me.

Heinlein contributed the word "Waldo" to the English language, a word still commonly used today to describe devices for remotely manipulation of hazardous materials such as radioisotopes.

The quotes came from Wikiquotes.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2008, 01:50:42 PM »
Slim, I thought I mentioned it wasn't fair to match wits with a guy who is only half equipped to do so....  :roll:

Softball allows 4 fouls... or 2 fouls and a final strike....  :-o
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2008, 01:52:07 PM »
The word "waldo" comes from the name of a character in Heinlein's anthology "Waldo and Magic, Inc."  Waldo was the name of a person that suffered from myasthenia gravis, lived in (what we'd today call a space station), and invented the devices (which, I believe, were more officially called reduplicating pantographs) so that he could do things that "normal" folks can do with arms and hands.

As for from whence the quotes originated -- I stick with my story.  Wikipedia may have found them at the same source -- at least I read them in the original.

Keep toying with me -- and say your goodbyes to the forum while you're at it, okay?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2008, 02:03:40 PM »

" People who think they know evreything are a great annoyance to those of us who do."
                                                                                          ISAAC ASIMOV 
    Triple S, methinks it's time to pull the plug! 
« Last Edit: June 15, 2008, 03:23:11 PM by interested bystander »
5 mph in pit area (clothed)