7 (18.4%)
Athol Who?
4 (10.5%)
Doesn't matter he crashed
19 (50%)
People don't crash cars, cars just crash
3 (7.9%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Author Topic: Athol Graham crash probably not his fault  (Read 31077 times)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Athol Graham crash probably not his fault
« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2008, 10:02:32 AM »
Good to see you are smart enough to figure the calculations involved in the apples and oranges comparison, too bad, as usual, you missed the point...  :evil: 

But none of this is on topic
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline dieselgeek

« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2008, 10:06:49 AM »
dang, that website Franklin posted has some awesome pictures adn reading!!!  there goes another two hours of my day!!  I love this stuff.

To the rest of you, I'd caution that you need to re-read Slim's warning about getting off Franklin's back.  Seriously.  What do you care WHAT he posts?  It's interesting that some of you just can't find it in yourselves to simply SHUT UP if you don't like what he posts.   

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2008, 10:37:18 AM »
I was just hoping he'd run out pretty soon.  Maybe he has -- now resorting to repeating himself.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Ratliff

« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2008, 11:01:15 AM »

In 1959, Graham clocked 344 mph using direct drive with a truck torque converter.

It seems like every year at Speedweek someone running a high horsepower car gets brought down by a blown clutch or broken transmission.

Hmmm.

Offline mydaddy

• New folks
« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2009, 06:47:27 PM »
Athol Graham was my dad, I don't think his crash was his fault either.  I lost my dad that day and if there is anyone out there with film of his race and crash and/or pictures please contact me at loiecats@hotmail.com. Thankyou

Offline smbus

• New folks
« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2009, 11:20:20 PM »
Seems the recent responses on this thread got away from the topic.  Just conducting a quick search for the date my uncle died and came across this forum. Those who raised this issue should know that many factors contributed to the crash.  But the most serious of them was that the tire manufacturer sent the wrong size tires on one or more of the wheels. Athol weighed the cost of canceling the race vs taking the risk.  That decided his fate.  We loved him for trying to bring the land speed record home to Utah.

Offline Billy @ AHG

« Reply #51 on: November 18, 2009, 02:45:20 PM »
I have'nt reviewed all the posts to this topic,, but ,, has there been any more progress in restoring the car, ?  I guess you know that John Price is putting together a museum of speed, in SLC , he has gathered some impressive machinery, is there a possibility of getting the Graham car included ?
Salt Junkie

Offline cindergee1

• New folks
« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2013, 03:34:05 PM »
/Users/cynthiagilbert/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Modified/2013/Oct 27, 2013_2/athol graham crash.jpg

My father was at the crash in the pit....I have more pics and will post them later if anyone is interested.  I also have my father's point of view as far as the crash goes...  He was there. 

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2013, 09:12:35 PM »
I would love to see them but why don't you clear them with  "mydaddy"
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline edinlr

« Reply #54 on: October 27, 2013, 11:54:47 PM »
and clear it with Ratliff  :-D
Honda CX650 turbo, Kawasaki H2 Ninja, Kawasaki ZX750 turbo

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: October 28, 2013, 12:19:20 AM »
Ssir  you are misinformed---that is SIR Propster to you  :-D
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!