Author Topic: Turbo Impeller  (Read 4447 times)

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
Turbo Impeller
« on: June 01, 2008, 12:59:11 PM »
Does anybody know where I can get a turbo impeller that can produce between 35—55 lbs of boost?  I am working on designing a gear driven blower for a vintage engine and would like to find where I can get an impeller.

Because of space and dislike of what is available on the market (turbos aren’t legal in vintage engines, so that’s out) I am designing my own blower.  I can design the impeller but prefer to find one that’s already out there. 
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Re: Turbo Impeller
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 01:04:49 PM »
Does anybody know where I can get a turbo impeller that can produce between 35—55 lbs of boost?  I am working on designing a gear driven blower for a vintage engine and would like to find where I can get an impeller.

Because of space and dislike of what is available on the market (turbos aren’t legal in vintage engines, so that’s out) I am designing my own blower.  I can design the impeller but prefer to find one that’s already out there. 

Maybe I'm over simplyifying this, but couldn't you find a turbo that is the appropriate size for your displacement and boost level (using turbo maps) and then just use the compressor side and figure out a way to spin it the same speed that the turbine side would??

Good luck and please repost on this as you do it,

Sum

Offline ddahlgren

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 01:14:56 PM »
55 lbs of boost??    :-o
I hope it is a diesel becasue it will be at some point soon.. LOL
I have 30 lbs. in road race cars though 55 seems a bit edgy for long distance use..
Dave

Offline maguromic

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008, 01:30:30 PM »
55 is on the high end, maybe something in the 30-45 range.  I thought of using a gear driven turbo, kind of like the BMR coupe did. With the gear drive I am leaning towards a 8 to 1 drive and a design look like the Miller- Offy vintage style. I want the thing to look vintage. The gear set will drive everything from my dry sump pump to the water pump.  Currently I am working on the ratios I need for all the pumps and trying to use off the shelf trimming gears.  But I suspect I will have to make several gears.

Never dealt with any turbo companies, do they sell  just the impeller?

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2008, 01:44:49 PM »
Lots of impellers will make 40+ lbs boost but it's not the boost that makes the power. How much power are you looking to make? The next thing is compressor speed, most turbochargers run at 80 - 120,000 rpm thats a lot of gear speed. That will give you some idea of the compressor wheel you need, so you might consder a wheel from a belt driven blower and adapt it to your application, however as you mentioned the BMR guys did a pretty good job building a drive for a turbo compressor so it sure can be done.
You can buy impellers or even rotating groups from any of the people who advertise in the SCTA rule book.
Good Luck on your project.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline maguromic

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2008, 01:56:24 PM »
Dynoroom, thanks for the advice.  The gear speed is one of the big concerns I had. I talked to procharegr and they wont sell just the impeller.  Some of the drag guys that I talked to that use their system complain of the case flexing and moving everything around and also heavy side load on the bearings.

I know this is not a simple operation and I think I have most of it down and have some good people showing me the steps. I will keep every one posted on the project.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2008, 02:04:34 PM »
Dynoroom, thanks for the advice.  The gear speed is one of the big concerns I had. I talked to procharegr and they wont sell just the impeller.  Some of the drag guys that I talked to that use their system complain of the case flexing and moving everything around and also heavy side load on the bearings.

I know this is not a simple operation and I think I have most of it down and have some good people showing me the steps. I will keep every one posted on the project.

I believe that a crank driven gear drive for the Procharger is available.  From Phoenix??  Sparky you know??

Also I thought Doug (BMR) was selling blowers like theirs at one time.  Might want to contact him.
Sum

Offline maguromic

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2008, 02:11:11 PM »
They do make a crank driven procharger system, it sticks out 17" and looks very bulky.  I have been talking to Doug (BMR) on this project and he has been a great help.  Part of my plan is to run all my pumps of the gears kind of like an Indy engine.  All the gears will be encased in a housing and I will be able to plug everything in like the mag, dry sump pump, fuel pump, water pump.