Author Topic: A streamliner configuration no one has tried  (Read 21742 times)

dwarner

Re: A streamliner configuration no one has tried
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2008, 03:29:10 PM »
Brian,

That didn't long.

DW

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2008, 04:01:33 PM »
Brian,

That didn't long.

DW
I'll wager $20.00 he'll be banned by June 6th :-D :evil:
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2008, 04:34:05 PM »
Mr. Ratliff:

Please -- settle down a bit.  While we encourage one and all to post on this forum, your dictum that we'll have to ban this vehicle or that based on some point of design -- is fine, within reason -- but should be directed at those who could possibly enact a ban.  I hope you'd agree that the propulsion added by the exhaust is relatively small (compared to that from the driven wheels).  If not they vehicles would fall under the definition of thrust-powered vehicles and would already be banned, wouldn't they?

I look forward to seeing more of your posts, but sure do hope they are a little more tactful when suggesting that the sanctioning organizations do some particular thing.  Ideas and discussions are fine -- dictums are more than we need here.  Thanks.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Ratliff

« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2008, 05:03:11 PM »
Mr. Ratliff:

Please -- settle down a bit.  While we encourage one and all to post on this forum, your dictum that we'll have to ban this vehicle or that based on some point of design -- is fine, within reason -- but should be directed at those who could possibly enact a ban.  I hope you'd agree that the propulsion added by the exhaust is relatively small (compared to that from the driven wheels).  If not they vehicles would fall under the definition of thrust-powered vehicles and would already be banned, wouldn't they?

I look forward to seeing more of your posts, but sure do hope they are a little more tactful when suggesting that the sanctioning organizations do some particular thing.  Ideas and discussions are fine -- dictums are more than we need here.  Thanks.

Thanks, Slim.

Goldenrod and Challenger were built over forty years ago. I know of a new team that has studied how the headers on Goldenrod were configured, but otherwise the idea that residual thrust can be recovered from engine exhaust seems to have been largely ignored or forgotten in land speed racing. However, it is something that Top Fuel and Funny Car teams understand well.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 05:11:38 PM by Ratliff »

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2008, 06:39:00 PM »
I was talking to one of the guys on the crew of the Clark-Smith-Hall-Leggitt lakester at WOS last year and he was saying how their headers were designed to aid in streamlining, getting the air to flow over the back wheels, and I think he said that they would provide some thrust. Not sure about the thrust part.
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
Just ignore him, This user is currently ignored.
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2008, 07:12:28 PM »
Mr. Ratliff:

Slim and others:

I and others have found Ratliff's postings and drivel too much to take and from now on I and others only see the following when he responds "This user is currently ignored" to a post so we do not waste time either opening or viewing something we care nothing about.

It is the little box under your name on the far left hand side, if anyone feels it necessary to "ignore" my posts, my feelings will not be hurt. 8-)

John Noonan

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2008, 07:26:49 PM »
John, I new you were my hero!

I forgot about the ignore button. "FR" certainly deserves it. Aliens and space ships and Franklin, Oh My!

I miss Jack D and Kent. Any chance they will be back under the new management?
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2008, 07:49:21 PM »
I've been doing as John suggested for the last several days...Mikey likes the Ignore Button!

I also agree with Dean's last sentence.

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline John Noonan

« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2008, 08:49:12 PM »
I've been doing as John suggested for the last several days...Mikey likes the Ignore Button!

I also agree with Dean's last sentence.

Mike

I spoke with Kent today about posting here, he stated that he likes it here however it got to be too time consuming..I will see if I can get him back on.

Regarding Jack, I do not think that he is not banned, I think he can post if he wants to.

J

Offline willieworld

« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2008, 09:31:02 PM »
jack and kent come back we can all learn from you guys   willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline John Noonan

« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2008, 09:45:24 PM »
Willie,

You only have 1 person "ignoring you".. :mrgreen:

Most likely Sheri after you "dumped" her.. :-P

Offline willieworld

« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2008, 10:21:29 PM »
im an opinionated asshole and i cant say that i blame whoever it is   willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline smitty2

• Worlds fastest miniature Pachyderm.
« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2008, 10:31:15 PM »
I see this thread has run it's course... But... I tried this configuration when I was a kid. Welded 2 bicycles together, but only had 1 wheel driven. The front and back steering wheels were linked with a tube and a "homebrew" Heim joint on each end. It went in a straight line just fine... when I went to turn the front wheel it plowed, and the back wheel skidded. I suppose if the wheels were "close coupled" it wouldn't be much of a problem, but if you stretch the wheelbase out you're going to have problems. If you doubt my observations... build a model and check it out for your self :-D. I ended up building the conventional clown bike with bent wheels, and a steering wheel.

Smitty

dwarner

« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2008, 11:03:03 PM »
Oh John, ignore works great!!

Thanks,
DW

Offline John Noonan

Dont hate him, "Ignore Him"
« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2008, 11:16:51 PM »
Oh John, ignore works great!!